default viewer in fax console

When I try to view a newly received fax in windows fax
console, I get an error message that says the operating
system does not have a default viewer for .tiff files.
4 answers Last reply
More about default viewer console

    The file association for .tif files has been set to something other than the
    Picture and Fax Viewer. In most cases, the file association for .tif files
    should be:

    "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    "Tim Rose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to view a newly received fax in windows fax
    > console, I get an error message that says the operating
    > system does not have a default viewer for .tiff files.

    Hi Hal - I've been reading the posts because I have had the same issue - and
    have fixed it using your suggestion - thanks!

    BUT - what many of the puzzled folks out there are saying (me included) is
    that we used to have (until this morning, in my case) a different fax viewer
    (the MS Fax Console). It is a far better viewer than MS Picture and Fax
    Viewer because it has a pane running down the left side which shows all of
    the fax pages while the main screen on the right shows the active page. This
    is the viewer we are all asking about. Is there any way to associate tif
    files with this other viewer. I cannot locate it anywhere.

    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Pud

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" wrote:

    > The file association for .tif files has been set to something other than the
    > Picture and Fax Viewer. In most cases, the file association for .tif files
    > should be:
    >
    > "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
    > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >
    > "Tim Rose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to view a newly received fax in windows fax
    > > console, I get an error message that says the operating
    > > system does not have a default viewer for .tiff files.

    You seem to be getting confused between the MS Picture and Fax Viewer
    (the default viewer for Windows XP Fax) and the Microsoft Office
    Document Imaging application (which replaces the MS Picture and Fax
    viewer if you install Office 2003). I would suspect that somewhere along
    the line, you installed Office 2003 and didn't tell us that part.

    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    akpud wrote:
    > Hi Hal - I've been reading the posts because I have had the same issue - and
    > have fixed it using your suggestion - thanks!
    >
    > BUT - what many of the puzzled folks out there are saying (me included) is
    > that we used to have (until this morning, in my case) a different fax viewer
    > (the MS Fax Console). It is a far better viewer than MS Picture and Fax
    > Viewer because it has a pane running down the left side which shows all of
    > the fax pages while the main screen on the right shows the active page. This
    > is the viewer we are all asking about. Is there any way to associate tif
    > files with this other viewer. I cannot locate it anywhere.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help!
    > Pud
    >

    > "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" wrote:
    >

    >>The file association for .tif files has been set to something other than the
    >>Picture and Fax Viewer. In most cases, the file association for .tif files
    >>should be:
    >>
    >>"rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
    >>
    >>Hal
    >>--
    >>Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    >>Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
    >>http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
    >>KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
    >>Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >>
    >>"Tim Rose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>When I try to view a newly received fax in windows fax
    >>>console, I get an error message that says the operating
    >>>system does not have a default viewer for .tiff files.

    Yes Russ - you are correct. I now located the MS Office Document Imaging App
    and all is back to normal.

    Many thanks,
    Pud.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:

    > You seem to be getting confused between the MS Picture and Fax Viewer
    > (the default viewer for Windows XP Fax) and the Microsoft Office
    > Document Imaging application (which replaces the MS Picture and Fax
    > viewer if you install Office 2003). I would suspect that somewhere along
    > the line, you installed Office 2003 and didn't tell us that part.
    >
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    >
    > akpud wrote:
    > > Hi Hal - I've been reading the posts because I have had the same issue - and
    > > have fixed it using your suggestion - thanks!
    > >
    > > BUT - what many of the puzzled folks out there are saying (me included) is
    > > that we used to have (until this morning, in my case) a different fax viewer
    > > (the MS Fax Console). It is a far better viewer than MS Picture and Fax
    > > Viewer because it has a pane running down the left side which shows all of
    > > the fax pages while the main screen on the right shows the active page. This
    > > is the viewer we are all asking about. Is there any way to associate tif
    > > files with this other viewer. I cannot locate it anywhere.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your help!
    > > Pud
    > >

    > > "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" wrote:
    > >

    > >>The file association for .tif files has been set to something other than the
    > >>Picture and Fax Viewer. In most cases, the file association for .tif files
    > >>should be:
    > >>
    > >>"rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
    > >>
    > >>Hal
    > >>--
    > >>Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > >>Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
    > >>http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
    > >>KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
    > >>Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    > >>
    > >>"Tim Rose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Default Fax Consoles Microsoft Error Message Windows XP