  • Microsoft
  • Error Message
  • Windows XP
September 22, 2004 2:04:14 PM

When I try to view a newly received fax in windows fax
console, I get an error message that says the operating
system does not have a default viewer for .tiff files.

More about : default viewer fax console

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 5:14:11 PM

The file association for .tif files has been set to something other than the
Picture and Fax Viewer. In most cases, the file association for .tif files
should be:

"rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"Tim Rose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to view a newly received fax in windows fax
> console, I get an error message that says the operating
> system does not have a default viewer for .tiff files.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 1:55:02 PM

Hi Hal - I've been reading the posts because I have had the same issue - and
have fixed it using your suggestion - thanks!

BUT - what many of the puzzled folks out there are saying (me included) is
that we used to have (until this morning, in my case) a different fax viewer
(the MS Fax Console). It is a far better viewer than MS Picture and Fax
Viewer because it has a pane running down the left side which shows all of
the fax pages while the main screen on the right shows the active page. This
is the viewer we are all asking about. Is there any way to associate tif
files with this other viewer. I cannot locate it anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Pud

"Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" wrote:

> The file association for .tif files has been set to something other than the
> Picture and Fax Viewer. In most cases, the file association for .tif files
> should be:
>
> "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "Tim Rose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to view a newly received fax in windows fax
> > console, I get an error message that says the operating
> > system does not have a default viewer for .tiff files.

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 8:31:40 PM

You seem to be getting confused between the MS Picture and Fax Viewer
(the default viewer for Windows XP Fax) and the Microsoft Office
Document Imaging application (which replaces the MS Picture and Fax
viewer if you install Office 2003). I would suspect that somewhere along
the line, you installed Office 2003 and didn't tell us that part.

Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

akpud wrote:
> Hi Hal - I've been reading the posts because I have had the same issue - and
> have fixed it using your suggestion - thanks!
>
> BUT - what many of the puzzled folks out there are saying (me included) is
> that we used to have (until this morning, in my case) a different fax viewer
> (the MS Fax Console). It is a far better viewer than MS Picture and Fax
> Viewer because it has a pane running down the left side which shows all of
> the fax pages while the main screen on the right shows the active page. This
> is the viewer we are all asking about. Is there any way to associate tif
> files with this other viewer. I cannot locate it anywhere.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
> Pud
>

> "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" wrote:
>

>>The file association for .tif files has been set to something other than the
>>Picture and Fax Viewer. In most cases, the file association for .tif files
>>should be:
>>
>>"rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
>>
>>Hal
>>--
>>Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
>>Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
>>http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
>>KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
>>Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>>
>>"Tim Rose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>When I try to view a newly received fax in windows fax
>>>console, I get an error message that says the operating
>>>system does not have a default viewer for .tiff files.

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 8:31:41 PM

Yes Russ - you are correct. I now located the MS Office Document Imaging App
and all is back to normal.

Many thanks,
Pud.

!