T-bird operating temp

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I recently installed a 1.2 gHz 266 FSB T-bird CPU onto a ECS mobo. I an using a Vantec copper HSF with fan blowing at 7000 rpm. Plus, I used arctic silver II. But after 30 mins of moderate activity (50% CPU load), the CPU registers at 42 degrees C. Is this normal? It seems kind of high to me considering the investment I placed on the cooling stuff. I had planned on overclocking, but with temp being this high, I don't know.

If any one else has a T-bird, could you tell me what temp range you run it at and what else you did to cool it down?

thx

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
on mine, a 900 athlon on an ecs k7s5a rev.5 with a thermaltake volcano6cu, and the standard thermal paste that came with the heatsink...not a pad, thermal grease...
i get temps ranging from 38 to 51....
but 51 is under full load, without a case fan.
since it is raining today, i cant go outside and put in my new 120mm fan...so i think i will have to wait until tomorrow for that.
but i had a cheap 80mm fan in there, and that would help a bit, just keep the air circulating in there.
and what i would do with the as2 is use the methods recommended by as2 on their site...
pretty sure it is a really thin coat on the hsf base, and a slightly thicker coat on the core.
that will ensure that the gaps and pits in the cpu's surface are filled, and that you are not using so much that it is leaking out and all over the cpu, which might be a pain to clean off...
use an old credit card to spread the as2 on the cpu core...dont use a new one, unless you want to risk not being able to use it.
your temps sound fine..
what you might want to do to lower them is to invest in a nice fan, and place it in the case side above the cpu and video card, so that cooler air from outside is being blown directly down on the cpu and video card...helping them cool off...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Your temps are fine!! Overclock away! My temps are in that range on my overclocked Athlon but I'm using 2 case fans, a GlobalWin WBK38 and an Enermax Whisper 430W PSU.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor