XP support for Old Epson Stylus Color II

September 23, 2004 2:15:07 AM

Will Windows XP support this printer?

I'm setting up an XP system from bits and pieces from around the house.
I have this old (1996) Epson Stylus Color II printer. The printer works
in Self Test (Power On with ALT key pressed). The print heads appear to
be clean.

The driver I am using is the Epson Stylus Color II ESC P2 driver that XP
comes with. I install it and attempt to print a test page and nothing.
Try to print from Notepad, nothing.

I've set the LPT port from Auto to Enable, with Bi-Directional support
(something in the BIOS about Auto not being enabled in Plug and Play
Mode). I've been assured that the (parallel) cable I'm using is good,
although I have yet to confirm this.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 2:15:08 AM

It should do. Do you have another PC you can try to install it on?
www.coribright.com

"JazzMan" <karriblenospam@nospammyyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Will Windows XP support this printer?
>
> I'm setting up an XP system from bits and pieces from around the house.
> I have this old (1996) Epson Stylus Color II printer. The printer works
> in Self Test (Power On with ALT key pressed). The print heads appear to
> be clean.
>
> The driver I am using is the Epson Stylus Color II ESC P2 driver that XP
> comes with. I install it and attempt to print a test page and nothing.
> Try to print from Notepad, nothing.
>
> I've set the LPT port from Auto to Enable, with Bi-Directional support
> (something in the BIOS about Auto not being enabled in Plug and Play
> Mode). I've been assured that the (parallel) cable I'm using is good,
> although I have yet to confirm this.

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 8:41:49 PM

In article <eEwnKDZoEHA.1816@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
"Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

> Plug and Play in the BIOS should actually be set to NO or DISABLED as per
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314068
>
> You might also try setting the LPT setting to EPP.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com

Turned plug and play off, set LPT to EPP. Printer not detected at
bootup.

Installed driver by manually invoking wizard, attempt to print test
page, no test page printed.

The error in the print queue indicates the printer is offline; however,
the printer has no online/offline button, just a pause button, which is
off (i.e. not paused) upon power up. I am assuming that paused is
offline and non-pause is online for this printer.

Setup printer in Hex Mode to see what codes (if any) are being sent to
printer and none appeared. For some reason the PC is not communicating
with the printer.

Any other ideas?
September 24, 2004 12:29:40 AM

The ports are there under Ports (COM & LPT)

The printer port is LPT1. There is NO yellow ! or red X beside the
listing. The Device Status says "The Device is working properly".

In article <#1XD87boEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
"Thomas Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote:

> Go to Device Manager (Control Panel system Device manager) and see
> if there are entries for the printer ports under the Ports section of
> the listing. Note if there is a yellow ! or red x beside the listing.
>
> Let us know.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP-DTS

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 4:44:40 AM

Next, one would test the printer port using a loop-back test. Failing
that, try connecting the printer to another computer and see if it works
properly. And connect a different printer, known to work properly, to
the box and test that.

Tom
MSMVP-DTS

:
: The printer port is LPT1. There is NO yellow ! or red X beside the
: listing. The Device Status says "The Device is working properly".
:
:
:
:
: In article <#1XD87boEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
: "Thomas Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote:
:
: > Go to Device Manager (Control Panel system Device manager) and
see
: > if there are entries for the printer ports under the Ports section
of
: > the listing. Note if there is a yellow ! or red x beside the
listing.
: >
: > Let us know.
: >
: > Tom
: > MSMVP-DTS
: >
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 9:38:16 AM

How does one perform the loop-back on a parallel port?

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 3:02:33 PM

In Device Manager, Ports (Com and LPT), under the Port Settings of the LPT
port, is Enable Legacy Plug and Play Detection CHECKED?

> In article <eEwnKDZoEHA.1816@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
> "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:
>
>> Plug and Play in the BIOS should actually be set to NO or DISABLED as per
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314068
>>
>> You might also try setting the LPT setting to EPP.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> www.coribright.com
>>

> Turned plug and play off, set LPT to EPP. Printer not detected at
> bootup.
>
> Installed driver by manually invoking wizard, attempt to print test
> page, no test page printed.
>
> The error in the print queue indicates the printer is offline; however,
> the printer has no online/offline button, just a pause button, which is
> off (i.e. not paused) upon power up. I am assuming that paused is
> offline and non-pause is online for this printer.
>
> Setup printer in Hex Mode to see what codes (if any) are being sent to
> printer and none appeared. For some reason the PC is not communicating
> with the printer.
>
> Any other ideas?

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 5:58:12 PM

The loopback test is to check the operation of the port at the hardware
level. For it you need a specially wired plug for the port and the
appropriate software or the ability to write it yourself. See
http://www.passmark.com/products/loopback.htm

In general, the information here might also be useful.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=128345

Was any attempt made to install drivers for this printer obtained from
any other place than the Windows XP CD?

Let us know.

Tom

MSMVP-DTS

: >:
: >:
: >:
: >: > Go to Device Manager (Control Panel system Device
: manager) and
: >see
: >: > if there are entries for the printer ports under the
: Ports section
: >of
: >: > the listing. Note if there is a yellow ! or red x
: beside the
: >listing.
: >: >
: >: > Let us know.
: >: >
: >: > Tom
: >: > MSMVP-DTS
: >: >
: >
: >
: >.
: >
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 8:45:16 PM

I decided to take a different tack and put a different printer in the
mix. I took a Epson Stylus 740 and connected it to the printer cable.
I changed the BIOS so the LPT was Bi-Directional, booted the PC and XP
sees this printer. In fact it automatically loaded the Epson Stylus
Color 740 ESC/P2 driver. Test page prints fine. What is also
interesting is that during boot not only was the 740 seen, but the Epson
Stylus Color II was also seen (never removed the driver), although it
was not connected. Outputting a test page produces a print out on the
740, although the quality is noticably inferior to the test page which
was generated by the 740 driver.

Bottom line here is that the port is good, the cable is good. Probably
the parallel interface in the Color II is suspect, or else the driver
communications with the printer is suspect. As I said this is an old
printer that last worked (serially) on an Mac LC III and I haven't had a
system to use it on in a long time, although it does work in self test
mode.

In article <u0U7yeloEHA.1988@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
"Thomas Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote:

> The loopback test is to check the operation of the port at the hardware
> level. For it you need a specially wired plug for the port and the
> appropriate software or the ability to write it yourself. See
> http://www.passmark.com/products/loopback.htm
>

> In general, the information here might also be useful.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=128345
>

> Was any attempt made to install drivers for this printer obtained from
> any other place than the Windows XP CD?
>

> Let us know.
>

> Tom
>
> MSMVP-DTS

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 11:58:54 PM

OK. Good move.

Now we know that it is the printer-computer interface.

The driver is probably OK. Even if sub-optimal in support for the
printer, something should be printed in response to well-defined output
from the computer. I would suspect that the printer ROM has to be
replaced. Try it on another computer.

Tom
MSMVP-DTS

[...]
September 25, 2004 1:12:38 PM

It wasn't, but I changed it to be set and still no luck. See replies to
Thomas Ferguson; bottom line is that the port works, the driver and/or
the printer (probably the printer) is suspect.

What I'd like to do is try an older version of Windows (98?) to see if
the printer works with it. Unfortunately, I don't know if its possible
to install 98 on my D: partition AFTER XP has been installed on my C:
partition. I guess I could install linux and see if the printer works
with it.

In article <u1GurCmoEHA.4068@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,

!