Sygate Personal Firewall Pro' 5.5 - Opinions ?

How would you rate Sygate Personal Firewall Pro' 5.5? Good/Bad/Comments
etc. apprecciated....

David W
5 answers Last reply
More about sygate personal firewall opinions

    "David" <Researcher01@ComcastNOMAIL.Net> wrote in message
    > How would you rate Sygate Personal Firewall Pro' 5.5? Good/Bad/Comments
    > etc. apprecciated....
    >
    > David W

    Pretty good but I wouldn't relay only on Sygate to secure my system.

    What would be your suggestion for additional security?

    > What would be your suggestion for additional security?
    > "Iceman©" <iceman@cool.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David" <Researcher01@ComcastNOMAIL.Net> wrote in message
    >> > How would you rate Sygate Personal Firewall Pro' 5.5?
    >> > Good/Bad/Comments etc. apprecciated....
    >> >
    >> > David W
    >> >

    >> Pretty good but I wouldn't relay only on Sygate to secure my system.

    http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

    If you have the O/S, then you can use it to supplement a router or host
    based FW on the machine.

    From a link I read and can be applied even on the PC as far as I am
    concerned -- layered defense.

    <snip>

    Configure IPSec Policy

    You should seriously consider setting an Internet Protocol Security (IPSec)
    packet-filtering policy on every Web server. This policy provides an extra
    level of security if your firewalls are breached. Multiple levels of
    security technology are often considered a good practice.

    In general, you should block all TCP/IP protocols other than those you
    explicitly want to support and the ports you want to open. You can use the
    IPSec administration tool or the IPSecPol command line tool to deploy IPSec
    policy.

    <Snip>

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hoststoggle.html

    If you have one that can be harden, then harden the O/S.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    Of course, you could put it behing a NAT router that cost as much as Sygate
    is not a bad option either, even for a single machine.

    Duane :)

    SPF is the best at providing you with complete details for any
    installed application trying to access the Internet, as well as the IP
    address that is being accessed. For example, with Eudora's email
    utility you can select to install the ad version for free and SPF pro
    will actually inform you when Eudora is trying to access your pop
    server to retrieve your mail and also separately when trying Eudora is
    trying to access Eudora's ad server (which you can actually block with
    eventual consequences). Most other firewalls will only ask you once if
    you want to allow an application to have access to the Internet.

    As for protection from external threats, SPF along with a hardware
    firewall and some other protection tweaks/tools (e.g., www.grc.com,
    Ad-aware's adwatch) is the best bet.

    In article <HbidnWk49ryeLOndRVn-hA@comcast.com>, Researcher01@ComcastNOMAIL.Net says...
    > How would you rate Sygate Personal Firewall Pro' 5.5? Good/Bad/Comments
    > etc. apprecciated....
    >
    > David W

    Hi David. Sygate is the only firewall I've run on my computer so I
    can't compare. ( I installed Kerio 215 once just to see what it looked
    like) I have run several versions of free Sygate. I now have v5.5 pro.
    Sygate has served me well and has been trouble free. I rate it "excellent".
    Easy to set up the Application Rules. Takes some knowledge of ports,
    IPs, and protocols to set up the Advanced Rules. It has good,
    easy to read logging. It logs all connection (and attempted conections)
    in/out to internet. Has stateful packet inspection (SPI). Take a
    look at the comparison of free vs pro to see all the features(listed
    below).

    Unofficial Help:
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/i/k/ikpe/SygateBasics.html
    (This site has two parts: Sygate Basics and Sygate Basics
    Part 2. Click on the button to toggle between the two)

    Sygate Forums:
    http://forums.sygate.com/vb/

    Users Guide and Quick Start Guide:
    http://smb.sygate.com/support/documents/pspf/default.htm

    Compare SPF Pro and SPF (See what's inside each one)
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/comparison_spf.htm

    d/l
    http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160.html