Should i overclock?

Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I had a MSI Turbo-R (KT133A) with a Athlon 1.4 @ 1.47 (140 x 10.5). The cpu has a Globalwin WBK68 (4500 rpm) and i also have 3 case fans. The temps were 54C cpu (idle) and case 26C. Five days ago i replaced the motherboard with a MSI K7T266 Pro2-RU. Now the temps at 1.4MHz (with the same CPU and fans) are 43C CPU idle and 34C case. The GF3 temps (GPU - board) are the same. I overclocked my cpu to 1.533 (146x10.5) and the temp got to 46C. Now i dont know what to believe. The mainboard has a slightly different design (CPU is higher and has more seperation from the GF3) and i rearranged the cables a little but i think these two cannot cause a 10 degrees drop. The cpu socket in the new mobo does not have a wire to touch the back of the cpu to get the temps and so i am thinking that it somehow reads from the air below the cpu or something like that. Can i trust the new temps? Should i continue overclocking?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If your system is stable at the current configuration go for it. Actually you all you can do right now is to increase the FSB, maybe around 150 or more, 166 looks far off. Get a PC166 compliant memory and try for higehr speeds.

If you experience any instabilities then you can max out that FSB and try to increase the multiplier. If teh CPU is locked you can unlock it by shorting the L1 bridge, you will get a number of guides on the web to show you.

Checkout <A HREF="http://www.athlonoc.com" target="_new">http://www.athlonoc.com</A> to see what your Athon can max out at.

Best of luck.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
be attentive about the system & the memory

to be sure, your config is alright, you have to be patient for 1 to 2 weeks

for my first oc, everything was fine about 2 weeks

but after, i had crach on crach and don't understand anything

and i found my pb: the 512Mo SDRAM generic was out of order

so i buy, Infineon CAS2, & everything become alright again

EasyInfo :cool: