board complications?

puppetmasta

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
i recently got a new harddrive and have been having some problems with it. I've made sure to click DMA in device manager etc. but my computer continously lags whenever i try to do anything. Like even load webpages and just open applications, is this the harddrive that is doing it or a problem with the board or anything else. If it is important i had my cpu oc'd for about a year and i just took it down to stock to see if that would help, it didnt. :( if anyone knows that would be great because multitasking is impossible right now, thanks.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it isnt a motherboard problem. your OS is probably Windows - that happens when you have run it for a lot of time, DLLs add up, disk is fragmented, a lot of apps installed/uninstalled leave small bits that make the overall system slowdown. do a complete format/reinstall ritual and you will be fine. you can also get your processor to upclock you set before.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
For Win95, only.
You can reinstall Win95 as a regular install.
It will go throu the same routine with the exception of only reinstalling system files and leaving your apps and data alone. I have done it myself.
If this does'nt work your version : A, B, C needs updating from MS web site. Or else try to unmark the DMA box you mentioned. With older versions of Win95 DMA sometimes caused problems, but this part is less certain.

DAnny