"Soda-POP" - or Other Way to Get POP e-Mail?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 4, 2005 10:17:10 AM

I just switched from Nextel to Verizon. I have Mobile Web 2.0, but there
appears to be no easy way to use it to retrieve e-mail from a POP account.
I see that Verizon has something called "Soda POP" to perform this task, but
there's a monthly charge. Are there any other alternatives?

By the way, although I really like my new Verizon phone, Nextel definitely
has them beat when it comes to pricing for e-mail and internet-- each is
$4.99/mo.-flat rate, and NO AIR TIME.

More about : soda pop pop mail

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 11:08:13 AM

I use Soda POP with my VW cell phone. Soda POP is not a full-featured
e-mail client. It does not display HTML, only text messages and the
displayed messages have total character limits. On the other hand, it
is a relatively inexpensive ($2.49/mo plus airtime) way to send and
receive e-mail when you are on the run. You can save up to five e-mail
accounts.
March 4, 2005 11:44:28 AM

http://wapmail.dorada.org/newhtml/index.htm

" J-Man" <JMan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just switched from Nextel to Verizon. I have Mobile Web 2.0, but there
> appears to be no easy way to use it to retrieve e-mail from a POP account.
> I see that Verizon has something called "Soda POP" to perform this task,
but
> there's a monthly charge. Are there any other alternatives?
>
> By the way, although I really like my new Verizon phone, Nextel definitely
> has them beat when it comes to pricing for e-mail and internet-- each is
> $4.99/mo.-flat rate, and NO AIR TIME.

March 4, 2005 7:29:19 PM

As a Vzw customer, you can get an MSN Hotmail account that allows you to pop
the mail off a POP3 server. Go here: http://vzw.msn.com/
You either create a new Hotmail account, or use an existing one and through
the Vzw MSN page, can add the ability to pop your mail. Your phone must be
mobile web enabled ($4.99/mos) allows access to your hotmail on the phone -
just uses minutes like any call, so on nights and weekends, it is unlimited
access.
Note that a normal Hotmail account does not have the ability to access
POP3 - only when you activate that feature through Vzw MSN.

" J-Man" <JMan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just switched from Nextel to Verizon. I have Mobile Web 2.0, but there
>appears to be no easy way to use it to retrieve e-mail from a POP account.
>I see that Verizon has something called "Soda POP" to perform this task,
>but there's a monthly charge. Are there any other alternatives?
>
> By the way, although I really like my new Verizon phone, Nextel definitely
> has them beat when it comes to pricing for e-mail and internet-- each is
> $4.99/mo.-flat rate, and NO AIR TIME.

March 5, 2005 7:28:10 AM

"Slick" <slick_willy_@EatSpam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As a Vzw customer, you can get an MSN Hotmail account that allows you to
> pop the mail off a POP3 server. Go here: http://vzw.msn.com/
> You either create a new Hotmail account, or use an existing one and
> through the Vzw MSN page, can add the ability to pop your mail. Your
> phone must be mobile web enabled ($4.99/mos) allows access to your hotmail
> on the phone - just uses minutes like any call, so on nights and weekends,
> it is unlimited access.
> Note that a normal Hotmail account does not have the ability to access
> POP3 - only when you activate that feature through Vzw MSN.

Thanks for the info. I went to the vzw.msn.com, logged in with Passport,
registered with VZW.MSN, but I can't find any information on how to set up a
Hotmail account that can handle my Earthlink POP e-mail... can you direct
me? (It's not in the FAQs.)
March 6, 2005 4:07:32 AM

Hello:

I use Soda Pop mail on my VX4400 phone. I like it because I can
retrieve e-mail on my basic phone, so I don't need a bulky PDA phone.
The only down-side is that you are on-line and using plan minutes the
whole time you are downloading/reading the mail. You don't have the
ability to download all of your messages at once and then read them
offline. You can see up to 4000 characters in the e-mail, much better
than the 160 character SMS limit.

I use it by having my isp forward messages to my cellphone. That
gives me a text msg when the e-mail comes in, and the first 160
characters as well. If I decide I need to see the whole e-mail I can
go on-line with SodaPop mail and see the whole thing.

SodaPopMail won't tell you when mail comes in, you have to check.
That's why I do the forwarding process.

Larry

On 4 Mar 2005 08:08:13 -0800, "NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I use Soda POP with my VW cell phone. Soda POP is not a full-featured
>e-mail client. It does not display HTML, only text messages and the
>displayed messages have total character limits. On the other hand, it
>is a relatively inexpensive ($2.49/mo plus airtime) way to send and
>receive e-mail when you are on the run. You can save up to five e-mail
>accounts.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:12:06 AM

1. Once you log into your hotmail account on a PC, click on the "Mail" tab
to display your hotmail inbox.
2. On the upper right side of the page, you will see in small print a hot
link labled "Options" just to the left of "Help" - click on options
3. You'll then see a list of Mail Options - click on the one labeled "Pop
Mail Retreival"
4. You should then be taken to a page that allows you to enter the details
of your POP account.

You should be able to take it away from here!
Note - sometimes when I get to the hotmail inbox on my V710, the menu option
to get pop mail isn't there. If you go to the "Home" menu option on the
inbox page, then select MSN Hotmail on the next screen that appears, the POP
option appears. I've reported this problem to Vzw but they have no solution
yet.

> "Slick" <slick_willy_@EatSpam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> As a Vzw customer, you can get an MSN Hotmail account that allows you to
>> pop the mail off a POP3 server. Go here: http://vzw.msn.com/
>> You either create a new Hotmail account, or use an existing one and
>> through the Vzw MSN page, can add the ability to pop your mail. Your
>> phone must be mobile web enabled ($4.99/mos) allows access to your
>> hotmail on the phone - just uses minutes like any call, so on nights and
>> weekends, it is unlimited access.
>> Note that a normal Hotmail account does not have the ability to access
>> POP3 - only when you activate that feature through Vzw MSN.
>>

> Thanks for the info. I went to the vzw.msn.com, logged in with Passport,
> registered with VZW.MSN, but I can't find any information on how to set up
> a Hotmail account that can handle my Earthlink POP e-mail... can you
> direct me? (It's not in the FAQs.)

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 12:36:13 AM

I'm looking for the same information.

Then for an even sillier question - how the heck do I access this
through the mini browser? Yeah, I know - very rudimentary - but I
still need help!!

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 04:28:10 GMT, " J-Man" <JMan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the info. I went to the vzw.msn.com, logged in with Passport,
>registered with VZW.MSN, but I can't find any information on how to set up a
>Hotmail account that can handle my Earthlink POP e-mail... can you direct
>me? (It's not in the FAQs.)

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 8:15:31 AM

Scratch that. Brain cloud has lifted. - thanks!

!