Advice for my new gaming mouse

creativereck

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
So I was using a crappy 20 dollar mouse and it is starting to get buggy with the lazer tracking and now I definitely am in need and looking for a new one. I want one of the higher end mice that will last me a long while preferably with the two side buttons for binds in gaming. Now I know there are tons out there so I thought it would be cool to hear some opinions from good gamers. Thanks!

first off dont be fooled by huge dpi... you only need 2000 max if your gaming on a single screen. or 1920/1080 if your screen is smaller you will need a mouse with variable dpi.
poll rate is an essential part of the mouse, 500ms is enough as its faster than you can react but most come with 125-1000 either in steps that you adjust manually or dynamic which works independently, in that it will get faster and more responcive the more you move the mouse. it sounds odd but it really does work and helps limit things like acceleration and prediction.
the mouse sensor is probably the most important thing in the mouse. there are lots of variations but its best to use what your used to... if you use cheap mice then your probably used to a lot of acceleration so you may want to choose a mouse that has it. although its fine for every day surfing its pointless and rather useless in gaming if you need to be accurate. such as with fps games. rts it can actually help you as you move the mouse around the map the acceleration will speed up this process and give an edge.

so you will want a mouse that will allow you to have it on and off... and thats the problem. some mice will say it is off when in fact its either turned down or has an opposite effect of negative acceleration where you move but the pointer moves then quickly comes to a halt forcing you to move again to hit your target. and if that target is moving such as in cod 4 you will move the mouse as fast as you see the players avatar on screen but for some reason your mouse just wont catch up. this is negative acceleration. basically your mouse is working with the hand break on...
razer mice like the lachesis/mamba have this problem

for cheap mice that are well featured look at the logitech g400/500 sidwinder x5, going up a bit razer deathadder/ roccat kova+ roccat kone/ going up a bit more coolermaster m60, rat 5 rat 7contagion/infection are all great mice. and vary in price from 25-100+ although i have marked the rat mice as great there build quality is hit and miss if you get a working 1 you will get a great mouse but if you get 1 with just a slight error take it back immediate as 1in 5 seem to be broken at point of sale.

edulis

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I'm weird in that I prefer a trackball mouse for gaming (and it's convenient because I also use it for my laptop) But I have had nothing but success using it. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but I couldn't imagine going back to a normal mouse now. However, I know a lot of people can't stand them, so it may not work for you. Just putting in my two cents. Good luck!

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

Indeed. I typically have my SteelSeries Ikari set well below 1000 for FPS (actually closer to 650 at the moment). The only time I use an increased dpi above 2000 is when operating a turret or something that has a really slow movement rate compared to the normal play rate (that's when a switchable dpi mouse comes in really handy).

tekratel21

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I bought a RAT 7 Contagion last week (had RAT 3 before) and just got into online multi player in BFBC2. I have to say that the mouse is amazing - cost about £65 UK. I have to say though that I do find the ability to change dpi on the fly to be a tremendous asset and have the four dpi modes set from 600 - 1200 - 3200 - 6400 plus the Sniper button allows me to come down to about 90.

As with Stringjam, the bigger dpi is useful for turrets as they're a pain in lower settings. Though as the mouse has a thumbwheel I'm going to see whether I can map this to the horizontal to do the turret stuff.

I do have to say as well that the RAT 7 looks the business too, plus I use it for my work too and it's great.

Hope you get on OK.

i have been using the rat 7 since xmas last year. im starting to notice my hand cramping after a couple of long rounds on bf3. do me a favor if you decide to become a regular let me know if it happens to you over the next few weeks...
i just wanna know if its a common problem. or whether its an age thing as im getting on a bit ;)

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I don't use more than 1800 DPI, I have it set between 800-1800 depending on what I'm doing.

I recommend the Razer DeathAdder, Zowie EC1/2, Razer Imperator and the Corsair M60. I've also heard good things about coolermasters mice.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
i really liked using the death adder and.... wow just lost train of thought, but the wireless/corded razer mouse. I also enjoy all the gaming series mice from logitech.

i normally use 1500 dpi, dont find need for any higher

Edit - ok, remembered now after lunch break, the razer mamba, haha

damn it its corsair m60,,, i listed it as coolermaster... DOH!!!.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Easy mistake. I've got an M60 sitting next to me now (the mouse, not the LMG unfortunately, ha). Its a nice bit of kit, but it just doesn't fit my hand grip style as good as other mice do, the shell is quite lacking round the palm area.