FSB Overclocking/nForce

G

I would like to see someone pump the FSB on the CPU as far as possible and see how it effects the performance on an nForce board compared to a KT266A with the same overclocking. Now I don't mean overclocking the actual processor. Basically take a 1.6 GHz (133x12) and clock it to 1.575 GHz (150x10.5) then benchmark it. I figure the nForce would easily outperform the KT266A since the nForce can supply the extra bandwidth to match the higher CPU bus speed.

<font color=red><b><A HREF="http://fire-elemental.8m.com/images/wojani.gif" target="_new">Fire Elemental</A></b></font color=red>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
An interesting theory! I wonder if it works. In theory you can overclock just the CPU and not the FSB and still have the RAM keep up. I hadn't though of that.

Here's another question. How difficult would it be to set up a dual CPU board based on this chipset? It's already got the dual ram channels.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

G

The nForce chipset doesn't support multiprocessing. I don't think nVidia is going to be releasing any multiprocessing chips until they have a better hold on the mobo chipset market.

<font color=red><b><A HREF="http://fire-elemental.8m.com/images/wojani.gif" target="_new">Fire Elemental</A></b></font color=red>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Interesting, but I think you'll see exactly the same ratio as 133/266.

If you raise the chip FSB, you raise the memory clock also. Any % increase in memory utilisation as a result of FSB raise is already acommodated in the KT266A as well.

Also, the nForce has been said to gain less with the XP over TBird in memory, since the deeper buffers are less useful with the greater prefetch of the XP. The nForce is a good chipset, but I think if you want the fastest and most versatile, the kt266a has it in this round. For a first effort though, the nForce is an extraordinary achievement. Furture revisions and chipsets should be awesome.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details