Acceptable/reasonable temps?

the_stranger

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
Hi all,

I built a new system a few days ago for a customer, and fortunately they don't want it delivered until next friday! So I get to screw around with it until then.

I went for the new MSI K7N420 Pro motherboard, the target price was $1200 CDN after tax, and I wanted the best bang for the buck, the MSI seemed to be the way to go, with the actually decent built on graphics.

In the interest of keeping the system relatively quiet, I went for a ThermalTake Volcano 6CU. I scraped off the yellow pad junk and applied some Arctic Silver II that I had laying around.

I used an InWin A500 case since the system will be sitting on the ground in its new home and the power button is up nice and high. Not the best case in the world for airflow, but I did go for an extra case fan at the front.

Motherboard Monitor shows the CPU temp to peak at 53 degrees after 30 minutes of LAME encoding.

The idle seems to settle down to about 46 degrees, with CPUIdle.

Are these acceptable temperatures given the fact that the system will never be overclocked, and given the sub-fantastic heat sink, the sub-fantastic case, and the fact that the Athlon XP is supposed to run cooler than the T-Bird?

I have a similar system with a TBird 1.33ghz and it runs cooler, thanks to my Alpha PAL6035MFC and a suckhole on the top of my case, so thats why i'm a bit worried about these numbers on the new box.

--jeff

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
seems a bit on the high side, but if its stable then I shouldnt worry, however in my opinion 1/2 an hour isnt really enough testing, I usually run 3dmark2001 for several hours, then leave prime95going all night, then run 3dmark again. did you run toast and see how high the temp got, and if it was still stable?

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

the_stranger

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
I let it do Monkey's Audio verifying all night, and at the very most it hit 53... I don't like the sound of that either, but if it's stable... I guess it's not a huge issue.

Thanks

--jeff

G

Noted your post as I have a similar concern -- recently upgraded to athlon 1500 with MSI K7T266 MB and Volcano 6CU. Old case and PS not AMD approved. Motherboard monitor shows temp in 52-54 range, but I'm only web surfing at this point.I'm curious as to what programs you guys use to push the CPU and really test the temperature, and where I can dowload them. At what temp should one get concerned?

dhlucke

Polypheme
Toast is the program to use, but the link to it doesn't work. Maybe somebody has one on their server??

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've come to the conclusion my Volcano 6Cu is a piece of junk. It looks cool but that copper slug pressed into the aluminium cooler must make a boundry layer of insulation. With the 6Cu, I could only maintain a 27 degree differential case temp to CPU temp and I was running my T-bird 1.4 GHz at 54 under load with UD Cancer Research.

I even put a funnel and 80 mm fan that delivered 53 CFM to the heatsink with no improvement. I went back to my old all aluminium Volcano II and with the 80 mm fan at 1.55 GHz I run at 48 under full load - a BIG improvement!

Scout

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Here are some of the ones that most people use:
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin/downloads.htm" target="_new">Burn-in Utilities and more...</A>

Problem solved. Please check out <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin/" target="_new">My Website</A>.