Conflict between Fax services and Outlook Express?

September 24, 2004 1:30:26 PM

A few months ago, I installed the fax program from the
Windows XP Pro. CD by adding windows components in the
Add/Remove Programs.
I was careful to uncheck everything except Fax. It
installed the Fax program but Outlook Express was gone. I
reinstalled Outlook Express. About a month ago, I used
the fax program within MS Word and it worked fine.

I upgraded to XP service pack 2, 2 weeks ago.

Today the fax program is gone.. The folder in
Accessory/Communications/Fax is empty. I went to
reinstall it and remembering the problem I had before, I
was careful in unchecking everything but the fax program(
3.8MB). The total disk space with everything unchecked is
56.8MB. ( I assume that this is the space required for
XP) with only the Fax service checked the space goes up
to 60.6 (56.8 + 3.8). I went ahead with the installation.
It gave me an error :

Setup was unable to list the files for MSN explorer. The
specific error code is 0xe0000102.

I let it continue and the Fax service program was
installed but Outlook Express, Media Player and I don't
know what else are gone.

I reinstalled Outlook Express and with the exception of
the Icons in the Desktop it looks like everything is set
up like it was. The Fax service is gone

I also have Outlook 2000 which I do not use for e-mail
or news services only with the calendar functions. When
I opened it after this Outlook Express installation, it
seem to have been reset as I never opened before.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 3:56:19 PM

In general, The Add/Remove Windows Components screen shows you what's
currently installed by placing a checkmark in the box next to the installed
item. UNchecking a checked box usually has the result of REMOVING an item
that's currently installed. The normal way to add just a single item or two
to your Windows installation is to leave all the checked boxes you find
checked and then add checkmarks to just those items you wish to add. By
UNchecking a number of items, there's a fair chance you UNINSTALLED these
items.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"Giuseppe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A few months ago, I installed the fax program from the
> Windows XP Pro. CD by adding windows components in the
> Add/Remove Programs.
> I was careful to uncheck everything except Fax. It
> installed the Fax program but Outlook Express was gone. I
> reinstalled Outlook Express. About a month ago, I used
> the fax program within MS Word and it worked fine.
>
> I upgraded to XP service pack 2, 2 weeks ago.
>
> Today the fax program is gone.. The folder in
> Accessory/Communications/Fax is empty. I went to
> reinstall it and remembering the problem I had before, I
> was careful in unchecking everything but the fax program(
> 3.8MB). The total disk space with everything unchecked is
> 56.8MB. ( I assume that this is the space required for
> XP) with only the Fax service checked the space goes up
> to 60.6 (56.8 + 3.8). I went ahead with the installation.
> It gave me an error :
>
> Setup was unable to list the files for MSN explorer. The
> specific error code is 0xe0000102.
>
> I let it continue and the Fax service program was
> installed but Outlook Express, Media Player and I don't
> know what else are gone.
>
> I reinstalled Outlook Express and with the exception of
> the Icons in the Desktop it looks like everything is set
> up like it was. The Fax service is gone
>
> I also have Outlook 2000 which I do not use for e-mail
> or news services only with the calendar functions. When
> I opened it after this Outlook Express installation, it
> seem to have been reset as I never opened before.

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 4:33:39 PM

No such issues reported to my knowledge.
This is a bit much for anyone to unravel.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

!