GeForce2 MX400 - cooling

G

I have a GeForce2 Mx400 AGP card. It has the black heat sink on it. I'm about to get a heatsink/fan, but I'm not sure if I will be able to mount it on the card. Any suggestions? Specifically, I was thinking about using a blue orb for video cards... Thanks.
--
Dan S.

"If it ain't broke, fix it anyway."

svol

Champion
In theory the Blue Orb will fit, except if you don't have any mounting holes around the video chip.
I used my standard GPU heatsink and mounted an old Pentium 75 :smile: CPU fan on it, cools pretty good. I also have some heatsinks on my video RAM.

Do not make illegal copies of this post :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would REALLY suggest you skip the ORB JUNK and simply install a fan on your heatsink. A 40mm processor fan would work (as used on some 486's and early Pentiums), possibly a 50mm fan, simply by screwing it into your stock heatsink, giving you better cooling and less noise than the BlOrb for less money.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i can second that from personal experience...worked on my old stealth3!
and cooled it pretty good!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see which fans I have laying around.
--
Dan S.

"If it ain't broke, fix it anyway."

duckbill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
I don't know what kind of a heatsink you have. Is it any good?

I myself, however, bought some heatsink material (54x54x25) and installed my very own heatsink with some arctic silver 2 in the middle. It required some tweaking (luckily the board had mounting holes on it) but was manageable. Then I simply installed a 50x50 cpu-cooler on the heatsink. Simple as that. Cools great. :)

<edit>This is for an Asus Geforce2 Pro however</edit>

<b>Check the appropriate box. There are more choices than you need.

P4 [ ]
Athlon [x]</b>

duckbill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
Btw. I don't know if it's just me, but I have owned two Asus Graphics cards (TNT2Ultra, GeForce2Pro), and both of them seem to have had very poor stock fans. Crappy sleeve bearing and otherwise poor design. After a few months' use they start making horrible noise and eventually this noise becomes so unbearable, that I have no other alternative but to replace them with better, ball bearing fans. Anyone else had similar experiences?

<b>Check the appropriate box. There are more choices than you need.

P4 [ ]
Athlon [x]</b>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Remove hte standard heatsink, you meya be lucky and find the adhesive stuck to the chip and not the heatsink, if so, a socket7 type hsf will stick straight back on (after removing the clip....) if not, you will need some thermal adhesive (people have used araldite/jbweld), there ARE some small screwholes around there but they are a bit small and very close to components.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers