Printing PRN files

September 25, 2004 10:01:11 PM

Greetings,

I have a PRN file that I created and I can't seem to get
it to print. I saw a web page that instructed me to do
the following: copy file.prn /b PRN /b However, whenever
I try this I get a message that the device is not
connected. I have my print attached via USB interface.
Does anyone know how to get this file printed.

Thanks.

More about : printing prn files

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 2:25:27 AM

You have an error in your command.

copy /b file.prn lpt1 is sufficient.

However, it will not work for printers connected to USB ports.

See here:
http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/39674/39674....

Let us know.
Tom
MSMVP-DTS

"Bob Battista" <bkbattista@charter.net> wrote in message
: Greetings,
:
: I have a PRN file that I created and I can't seem to get
: it to print. I saw a web page that instructed me to do
: the following: copy file.prn /b PRN /b However, whenever
: I try this I get a message that the device is not
: connected. I have my print attached via USB interface.
: Does anyone know how to get this file printed.
:
: Thanks.
October 4, 2004 6:09:06 PM

Bob

I have exatly the same problem. Who can help?

Prin to file named "test.prn" - OK

I tried to print my test file to printer connected to USP with comads:

1) COPY test.prn/B PRN/B - no printout
2) PRINT test.prn lpt1 - goes where? in a buffer? No printer in COM port

All instruction I find assumes i have a COM port but my printer [HP 6122] is
connected to USP.

Best Regards
Lars

"Bob Battista" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a PRN file that I created and I can't seem to get
> it to print. I saw a web page that instructed me to do
> the following: copy file.prn /b PRN /b However, whenever
> I try this I get a message that the device is not
> connected. I have my print attached via USB interface.
> Does anyone know how to get this file printed.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 11:44:35 PM

See if the info at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm helps,
particularly case 2.

When you are using the XP Command Prompt or the emulated DOS environment
(e.g. command.com), lpt1 is associated with an emulated parallel port. If
there is a printer connected on the hardware parallel port, data sent to the
emulated parallel port will be sent to the (Windows printer) associated with
the hardware parallel port.

If there is no printer associated with the hardware parallel port, you have
to tell the OS to associate a particular Windows printer with the emulated
parallel port.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

!