Printing PRN files

Greetings,

I have a PRN file that I created and I can't seem to get
it to print. I saw a web page that instructed me to do
the following: copy file.prn /b PRN /b However, whenever
I try this I get a message that the device is not
connected. I have my print attached via USB interface.
Does anyone know how to get this file printed.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about printing files

    You have an error in your command.

    copy /b file.prn lpt1 is sufficient.

    However, it will not work for printers connected to USB ports.

    See here:
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/39674/39674.html

    Let us know.
    Tom
    MSMVP-DTS

    "Bob Battista" <bkbattista@charter.net> wrote in message
    : Greetings,
    :
    : I have a PRN file that I created and I can't seem to get
    : it to print. I saw a web page that instructed me to do
    : the following: copy file.prn /b PRN /b However, whenever
    : I try this I get a message that the device is not
    : connected. I have my print attached via USB interface.
    : Does anyone know how to get this file printed.
    :
    : Thanks.

    Bob

    I have exatly the same problem. Who can help?

    Prin to file named "test.prn" - OK

    I tried to print my test file to printer connected to USP with comads:

    1) COPY test.prn/B PRN/B - no printout
    2) PRINT test.prn lpt1 - goes where? in a buffer? No printer in COM port

    All instruction I find assumes i have a COM port but my printer [HP 6122] is
    connected to USP.

    Best Regards
    Lars

    "Bob Battista" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have a PRN file that I created and I can't seem to get
    > it to print. I saw a web page that instructed me to do
    > the following: copy file.prn /b PRN /b However, whenever
    > I try this I get a message that the device is not
    > connected. I have my print attached via USB interface.
    > Does anyone know how to get this file printed.
    >
    > Thanks.

    See if the info at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm helps,
    particularly case 2.

    When you are using the XP Command Prompt or the emulated DOS environment
    (e.g. command.com), lpt1 is associated with an emulated parallel port. If
    there is a printer connected on the hardware parallel port, data sent to the
    emulated parallel port will be sent to the (Windows printer) associated with
    the hardware parallel port.

    If there is no printer associated with the hardware parallel port, you have
    to tell the OS to associate a particular Windows printer with the emulated
    parallel port.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    "Bob Battista" <bkbattista@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have a PRN file that I created and I can't seem to get
    > it to print. I saw a web page that instructed me to do
    > the following: copy file.prn /b PRN /b However, whenever
    > I try this I get a message that the device is not
    > connected. I have my print attached via USB interface.
    > Does anyone know how to get this file printed.
    >
    > Thanks.

Microsoft Windows XP