Specified Port Unknown

I had to uninstall my Lexmark X83, and since then I have had nothing but
headaches. I can get the loftware of my new Lexmark X6150 partially loaded,
but it won't recognize the printer. I keep getting a hardware error saying
that the specified port is unknown.

I've tried just about every "fix" that I've found on Google, and still no
dice. This isn't a driver problem, because the computer won't even let me
extract the files from the CD. HELP HELP HELP!

Navigate to the Lexmark web site.

http://tinyurl.com/3h9bn

Get the Uninstall clean utility listed in the Utility section
and the drivers listed in the Drivers section. Then, first delete
the printer from Start Printers and faxes in the usual way. Next,
disconnect the printer from the computer and restart the computer. Use
the Uninstall utility.

Next, Install the drivers. Do not connect the printer to the computer
until the instructions tell you to.

Also, you will notice some other files available on the web site. I
suggest you consider updating your printer's firmware with the version
5.81 file found there.

Let us know.
Tom
MSMVP-DTS

:
: I've tried just about every "fix" that I've found on Google, and still
no
: dice. This isn't a driver problem, because the computer won't even
let me
: extract the files from the CD. HELP HELP HELP!

Thanks Tom for your quick reply. I had already done basically as you had
suggested several days ago. The Lexmark X83 is the old printer that I no
longer need, and the X6150 is the new. The problems started when I tried
uninstalling the X83.

Basically what happens is the CD with the information for the new printer
gets partially loaded, then I get an error saying that the printer could not
be installed because "the specified port is unknown." When I tried to
uninstall the Lexmark X6150 software, there is no uninstall utility, and
Lexmark doesn't appear under "Add/Remove Programs."

The "port" problem also effects my Epson photo printer. I spoke with Epson
on the phone, and we tried uninstalling/installing the driver. However, XP
gives me an error and won't extract the setup files from the CD.

The strangest part is that under Device Manager, XP lists the printer (it's
an all-in-one) under imaging device...and I can get the scanner to work with
the software that DOES install. But it doesn't recognize it as a printer,
nor my Epson. It's maddening!

Thanks for you help!

Do you have a restore point for a date and time just before you tried to
remove the X83 driver? If so, try restoring the system to that point and
simply install the X6150 drivers without removing the X83 drivers.

:
[...]

Sadly, my life isn't that easy. I thought about that the day after I
started having problems, however I had made so many changes that "Go Back"
only stored the last 8 hours, not the last 24. I've been fighting this
stupid problem for a week now.

Jen

"Thomas Ferguson" wrote:

> Do you have a restore point for a date and time just before you tried to
> remove the X83 driver? If so, try restoring the system to that point and
> simply install the X6150 drivers without removing the X83 drivers.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP-DTS
>
> "Jfcpeters" <Jfcpeters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> :
> : Thanks Tom for your quick reply. I had already done basically as you
> had
> : suggested several days ago. The Lexmark X83 is the old printer that I
> no
> : longer need, and the X6150 is the new. The problems started when I
> tried
> : uninstalling the X83.
> :
> : Basically what happens is the CD with the information for the new
> printer
> : gets partially loaded, then I get an error saying that the printer
> could not
> : be installed because "the specified port is unknown." When I tried to
> : uninstall the Lexmark X6150 software, there is no uninstall utility,
> and
> : Lexmark doesn't appear under "Add/Remove Programs."
> :
> : The "port" problem also effects my Epson photo printer. I spoke with
> Epson
> : on the phone, and we tried uninstalling/installing the driver.
> However, XP
> : gives me an error and won't extract the setup files from the CD.
> :
> : The strangest part is that under Device Manager, XP lists the printer
> (it's
> : an all-in-one) under imaging device...and I can get the scanner to
> work with
> : the software that DOES install. But it doesn't recognize it as a
> printer,
> : nor my Epson. It's maddening!
> :
> : Thanks for you help!

OK. Back to basics. Have a look here and see what applies.

:
: "Thomas Ferguson" wrote:
:
: > Do you have a restore point for a date and time just before you
tried to
: > remove the X83 driver? If so, try restoring the system to that point
and
: > simply install the X6150 drivers without removing the X83 drivers.
: >
: > Tom
: > MSMVP-DTS
: >
: > "Jfcpeters" <Jfcpeters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > news:79ACC6D1-216F-495E-9E18-1BC52C3A2C48@microsoft.com...
: > :
: > : Thanks Tom for your quick reply. I had already done basically as
you
: > had
: > : suggested several days ago. The Lexmark X83 is the old printer
that I
: > no
: > : longer need, and the X6150 is the new. The problems started when
: > tried
: > : uninstalling the X83.
: > :
[...]

Hi- I have a new question. I have a Lexmark X83 All in One Printer. It is
past its warranty (2002), rarily used. The printer does not recognize the
colored ink and an error message says cannot connect to the printer.
Technicians from Dell and Lexmark cannot help me. I was told to buy a new
printer. Is there anyone out there who can help with this problem. P.S. Both
computer and printer tests indicate each are working perfectly fine!