Problems installing the Fax Services on XP and SP2

I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 English version.

I have a problem installing the Fax services thru "Add or Remove
Programs" in Control Panel.

When checked "Fax Services" in Windows Components it search my XP
install CD and asks for the files, it finds the file and comes up with
"COPY ERROR" saying "Setup cannot copy file fxsclnt.ex_.

I have tried with another XP install CD and the same problem exist, i
have also tried to copy the "i386" folder to the disk and copy from
there but still the same "COPY ERROR".

This problem didn't exist under XP and SP1.

I have also tried to do a complete reinstall of XP and then adding SP2
but still the same ERROR.
5 answers Last reply
More about problems installing services

    "Packetloss" wrote:

    > I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 English version.
    >
    > I have a problem installing the Fax services thru "Add or Remove
    > Programs" in Control Panel.
    >
    > When checked "Fax Services" in Windows Components it search my XP
    > install CD and asks for the files, it finds the file and comes up with
    > "COPY ERROR" saying "Setup cannot copy file fxsclnt.ex_.
    >

    > I have tried with another XP install CD and the same problem exist, i
    > have also tried to copy the "i386" folder to the disk and copy from
    > there but still the same "COPY ERROR".
    >
    > This problem didn't exist under XP and SP1.
    >
    > I have also tried to do a complete reinstall of XP and then adding SP2
    > but still the same ERROR.

    After you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to a
    different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
    routine to that folder.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    "Packetloss" <u11hfomv@kth.se> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 English version.
    >
    > I have a problem installing the Fax services thru "Add or Remove
    > Programs" in Control Panel.
    >
    > When checked "Fax Services" in Windows Components it search my XP
    > install CD and asks for the files, it finds the file and comes up with
    > "COPY ERROR" saying "Setup cannot copy file fxsclnt.ex_.
    >

    > I have tried with another XP install CD and the same problem exist, i
    > have also tried to copy the "i386" folder to the disk and copy from
    > there but still the same "COPY ERROR".
    >
    > This problem didn't exist under XP and SP1.
    >
    > I have also tried to do a complete reinstall of XP and then adding SP2
    > but still the same ERROR.

    No that's is not the problem, the files exists as i've checked.

    Problem is that you get "Copy Error" whatever i do, the files are
    there on the CD.

    I have tried manually to install the files to with no success either.

    This is a really annoying bug that was introduced with SP2.

    I have also disabled the Firewall and Security center to try things
    out if that was causing the problem, same problem.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<u$nTsZQpEHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > After you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to a
    > different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
    > routine to that folder.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    >
    > "Packetloss" <u11hfomv@kth.se> wrote in message
    > >I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 English version.
    > >
    > > I have a problem installing the Fax services thru "Add or Remove
    > > Programs" in Control Panel.
    > >
    > > When checked "Fax Services" in Windows Components it search my XP
    > > install CD and asks for the files, it finds the file and comes up with
    > > "COPY ERROR" saying "Setup cannot copy file fxsclnt.ex_.
    > >

    > > I have tried with another XP install CD and the same problem exist, i
    > > have also tried to copy the "i386" folder to the disk and copy from
    > > there but still the same "COPY ERROR".
    > >
    > > This problem didn't exist under XP and SP1.
    > >
    > > I have also tried to do a complete reinstall of XP and then adding SP2
    > > but still the same ERROR.

    Hi all

    I write asking for help...

    I have the same problem, cannot install Fax Services after install SP2

    I've try the original win xp cd, also the \servicepacks\i386 and even
    extracted all files from de SP2 file and use that i386 directory, but the SO
    can't copy the fxscfgwz.dll or fxscfgwz.dl_ file

    I've try copying the files it ask for to a know location, no use..
    then i uncompress the files by hand (with expand.exe) and try it, no use

    the SO can't copy the file, in fact, cannot copy any of the fx* files it ask
    for to install the Fax services

    "Packetloss" wrote:

    > I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 English version.
    >
    > I have a problem installing the Fax services thru "Add or Remove
    > Programs" in Control Panel.
    >
    > When checked "Fax Services" in Windows Components it search my XP
    > install CD and asks for the files, it finds the file and comes up with
    > "COPY ERROR" saying "Setup cannot copy file fxsclnt.ex_.
    >

    > I have tried with another XP install CD and the same problem exist, i
    > have also tried to copy the "i386" folder to the disk and copy from
    > there but still the same "COPY ERROR".
    >
    > This problem didn't exist under XP and SP1.
    >
    > I have also tried to do a complete reinstall of XP and then adding SP2
    > but still the same ERROR.

    I have the exact same problem!!! I have tried all of the above with exception
    of formatting hard drive. I took out SP2 Then installed SP1. Now when I get
    the file copy errors, the PC automatically reboots when I cancel install.
    You can see the files, but I get the same copy error. I have tried browsing
    other known locations, but no help. Very frustrating that I can't use the FAX
    program.

    "Axen" wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I write asking for help...
    >
    > I have the same problem, cannot install Fax Services after install SP2
    >
    > I've try the original win xp cd, also the \servicepacks\i386 and even
    > extracted all files from de SP2 file and use that i386 directory, but the SO
    > can't copy the fxscfgwz.dll or fxscfgwz.dl_ file
    >
    > I've try copying the files it ask for to a know location, no use..
    > then i uncompress the files by hand (with expand.exe) and try it, no use
    >
    > the SO can't copy the file, in fact, cannot copy any of the fx* files it ask
    > for to install the Fax services
    >

    > "Packetloss" wrote:
    >
    > > I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 English version.
    > >
    > > I have a problem installing the Fax services thru "Add or Remove
    > > Programs" in Control Panel.
    > >
    > > When checked "Fax Services" in Windows Components it search my XP
    > > install CD and asks for the files, it finds the file and comes up with
    > > "COPY ERROR" saying "Setup cannot copy file fxsclnt.ex_.
    > >

    > > I have tried with another XP install CD and the same problem exist, i
    > > have also tried to copy the "i386" folder to the disk and copy from
    > > there but still the same "COPY ERROR".
    > >
    > > This problem didn't exist under XP and SP1.
    > >
    > > I have also tried to do a complete reinstall of XP and then adding SP2
    > > but still the same ERROR.

Fax Windows XP