PC video card crash!

guy100

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hello everyone!
So, I just bought and built a new computer and have been playing games and such for about a week now. For some reason during random times when I load into the game everything will freeze up for about five seconds and come back to my desktop tabbed out of the game. To make this even more strange i can still hear the audio from that game and the cursor is still skinned to the one in the game but I can not re open the game and have to task manager it off. I have tried to fix it on my own but I can't seem to stop the crashing at random gameplay times. Can anyone help me out?

EDIT:
System Specs.

CPU: AMD FX-8120

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46

Memory: DDR3 2x 4GB

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

Solution
its a driver/gpu problem, uninstall the driver and use Driver Sweeper in safe mode to remove all ATI driver files, restart and install the driver again (current version 12.6), make sure the gpu is installed correctly in the motherboard and 6pin power connector in the gpu,

otherwise its your PSU for not giving the gpu enough power.

guy100

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Sorry about that. I posted my specs above. I thought the 7700 series was enough to run high on pretty much any modern game but I could be wrong. At the time of the crash I was playing BBC2 but it has happened on ARMA2 and others as well.

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
-Games you'r been playing
-Crashes are since you had the computer?
-Updated your drivers? (dont use Drivers from CDs that came along, always download the latest drivers from manufactures sites)
-Whats your PSU(Power Supply) and how many Watts?

guy100

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
-Well the crashes could have been there ever since I first turned on the computer but never come up because of it being random. The games that have given me the most trouble were listed above. Games like Leauge of Legends the cfrash only had ever happened once.
-The Drivers are all updated from their websites so I don't think there is a problem there.
-This could be the problem because it is the component I had to skimp out on.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6448054

That is the power supply I am using now. It is 600W

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
no i dont think its a hardware problem, its a software problems, and the crashes can be caused from the game it self or from driver or from a thirdparty apps, besides you didnt mention what OS you have, win7 x64?

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
its a driver/gpu problem, uninstall the driver and use Driver Sweeper in safe mode to remove all ATI driver files, restart and install the driver again (current version 12.6), make sure the gpu is installed correctly in the motherboard and 6pin power connector in the gpu,

otherwise its your PSU for not giving the gpu enough power.

Solution