I have recently loaded an HP printing software and
printer on my computer. Since loading it, there seems to
be some problem with the spoolsv.exe file. It prevents me
from opening any system program, and most other
applications, such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.

When I try to open these programs the system process
comes up in the task manager, but the program never
opens. If I end the spoolsv.exe process every program
that was pending to open, opens all at once. If I don't
end the process, it will end automatically after about 20
minutes.

I have tried reinstalling the software, and there seems
to be no hardware conflicts in the device manager. The
printer works fine with programs that I can open and
works fine when I finally get the other programs open.

I've looked through Hp and support.microsoft, and cant
seem to find any relevant documents or upgrades.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Windows XP Home,
Hp PSC 2210 Printer,

Problems with the spooler service are usually printer driver issues. See
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm.

Looks like the PSC 2210 is an "older" model printer and there may not be XP
compliant drivers on the CD that came with it.

Go to
http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/gateway/printing_multifunction.html
key psc 2210 in the Search box (press Enter)
click on the entry under PSC 2210 All-in -One series that corresponds to
your printer model
click Download drivers & software
click Windows XP
click HP Full Solution Software Driver - this will download the XP compliant
version of the software for the printer
note that this is a large (166 MB) download!

There is also quite a bit of other information about the printer, possible
problems and corrective actions etc. available from that set of pages.

See in particular
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=79499&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00036626.
--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing