PIII 700 & softFSB

Chasim

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
I have a PIII 700 (512 RAM, GF3 Ti 200)... I can only upgrade to a PIII 850 without replacing my motherboard (or buying a new system). I have a Dell system with an Intel motherboard and I'm told it's "clock locked". I found the sofFSB software (I think version 1.17).

For someone who has never done this... what do I need to know to successfully use the softFSB program? Anything I should worry about?

Also, do I have any other options with my existing system? (I know I can overclock the video card but with my current processor speed I doubt it would help much.)

My goal is to improve system/video card performance in 3D gaming.

Thanks for any advice!

First look on the motherboard and find the clock generator. If you cant finf it download SISOFT SANDRA and look in mainboard section,
Now start Soft FSB and find your clock generator and try resetting the fsb.
If your board will take an 850 it will run any 100 mhz fsb P3 processor. If your board supports 133fsb it will take any P3 except the Tualatin core chips.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your board uses the BX chipset, SoftFSB (CPUCool, etc.) is the only way to overclock. If it uses the i815 or even the i810e chipset, you can modify the processor to make it a 933.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?