How Do I Remove Junk On Comap Presario...

Models 9660 and 5070...to free up much needed space.

What are the files/programs/etc. including AOL/Quicken/etc, to remove
and how do I do this in a safe manner as I have removed items before
and the compaq system gets all screwed up? What is the suggested
procedures?

And I won't even begin to discuss or ask about the "quick recovery"
disk/s!!!

Thank you in advance,
John
6 answers Last reply
More about remove junk comap presario

    REFORMAT AND REINSTALL WINDOWS, NOT THE COMPAQ RESTORES.

    <rnc54s@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Models 9660 and 5070...to free up much needed space.
    >
    > What are the files/programs/etc. including AOL/Quicken/etc, to remove
    > and how do I do this in a safe manner as I have removed items before
    > and the compaq system gets all screwed up? What is the suggested
    > procedures?
    >
    > And I won't even begin to discuss or ask about the "quick recovery"
    > disk/s!!!
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    > John

    Sorry for the caps....

    <rnc54s@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Models 9660 and 5070...to free up much needed space.
    >
    > What are the files/programs/etc. including AOL/Quicken/etc, to remove
    > and how do I do this in a safe manner as I have removed items before
    > and the compaq system gets all screwed up? What is the suggested
    > procedures?
    >
    > And I won't even begin to discuss or ask about the "quick recovery"
    > disk/s!!!
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    > John

    Rather than reformatting and reinstalling Windows, click the Add/Remove Programs
    icon in Control Panel. Assuming that the programs themselves are not messed up,
    this will remove the programs pretty cleanly, tho not perfectly. You may want
    to follow up with a good Windows registry cleaner-upper, either commercial
    product or freeware. Also do a Disk Cleanup, followed by the Disk
    Defragmenter... Ben Myers

    On 18 Dec 2004 12:30:31 -0800, rnc54s@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Models 9660 and 5070...to free up much needed space.
    >
    >What are the files/programs/etc. including AOL/Quicken/etc, to remove
    >and how do I do this in a safe manner as I have removed items before
    >and the compaq system gets all screwed up? What is the suggested
    >procedures?
    >
    >And I won't even begin to discuss or ask about the "quick recovery"
    >disk/s!!!
    >
    >Thank you in advance,
    >John

    If you will provide a complete list of all the programs in your Add or
    Remove Programs list, you can probably get some good advice here...
    --
    Jester6

    <rnc54s@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Models 9660 and 5070...to free up much needed space.
    >
    > What are the files/programs/etc. including AOL/Quicken/etc, to remove
    > and how do I do this in a safe manner as I have removed items before
    > and the compaq system gets all screwed up? What is the suggested
    > procedures?
    >
    > And I won't even begin to discuss or ask about the "quick recovery"
    > disk/s!!!
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    > John

    I second Ben's suggestion. RegSupreme is a great Registry cleaner, but it's
    not freeware.
    HH

    > Rather than reformatting and reinstalling Windows, click the Add/Remove
    > Programs
    > icon in Control Panel. Assuming that the programs themselves are not
    > messed up,
    > this will remove the programs pretty cleanly, tho not perfectly. You may
    > want
    > to follow up with a good Windows registry cleaner-upper, either commercial
    > product or freeware. Also do a Disk Cleanup, followed by the Disk
    > Defragmenter... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 18 Dec 2004 12:30:31 -0800, rnc54s@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >>Models 9660 and 5070...to free up much needed space.
    >>
    >>What are the files/programs/etc. including AOL/Quicken/etc, to remove
    >>and how do I do this in a safe manner as I have removed items before
    >>and the compaq system gets all screwed up? What is the suggested
    >>procedures?
    >>
    >>And I won't even begin to discuss or ask about the "quick recovery"
    >>disk/s!!!
    >>
    >>Thank you in advance,
    >>John

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Thank you all for the suggestions but on the 9660 I deleted some items
    and now all the programs do not show up in add/remove.

    Somewhere I read i should format with c:\format/s but have also read
    that then I have to supposedly reinstall some drivers from compaq and
    they will not fit on a diskette (1.44. mg.) and I have no idea how or
    what to do with either the 9660 or the 5070.

    On the 9660 someone also installed a 56k modem and I had a hell of a
    time trying to get it to recognise it but somehow i managed to find
    enough drivers and it seemed to accept one of them and now works. If i
    format the entire drive/s I am afraid I will lose the fucntionality of
    all the items that need drivers.

    I certainly would like to see someone write a book on how to overcome
    the "compaq challenge", to elimminate the junk they put on as well as
    having the only option of quick restore which does not always do what
    compaq claims, and they would certainly become an instant millionaire!
    I have been reading the newsgroups for years and it is unbelieveable
    how many people suffer from the problems compaq have created for the
    end user/s. I also have written/ e-mailed/ and talked on the telephone
    so many times I finally gave up due to the frustration incvolved and no
    results whatsoever.

    I am not computer literate but can follow directions if they are very
    specifically written on what to do. Can anyone guide me through this
    nightmare on each of the presario's I unfortunately purchased?
    Thank you again for all the replies thus far,
    John

Compaq Junk Presario Computers