Hysteresis

G

A Soyo(VIA chipset) mb that I have has a hysteresis setting and reading on the CPU and system temperature monitoring program. Does anyone know what the functional effect this has on my system. I read some abstract physics articles on hysteresis on the web but couldn't find out how it affected my little box.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I can't dig up anything for you. Which motherboard is it in particular? The only hystresis info I know of for electrical devices is for magnetic variations that result of conditions from dynamic loads. Sound like a textbook definition, no? All of the stuff I have seen relates to magnetic tape or other metallic mediums.

So you got me here but I will keep looking. I will try to bring in some of the Physics/Electrical Engineers. It will be solved for you.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

svol

Champion
Don't hysteresis mean something like stress?
I think it's your normal CPU temp for a stressy CPU, eg if you're running some apps.
My Via Hardware Monitor, has also some setting for hysteresis temp. Can make a screen shot of it, if you want.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
My old board's monitoring software had an alarm setting that would trip if it got too low. It was disabled by default. Wish someone would tell us what it is.

Wabbit season! Duck season! AMD season! INTEL season!
Hmmmph--whatever...

G

Sorry for the time lag - I went out of town. My motherboard is a Soyo SY-K7VEM. Thanks for replying.

svol

Champion
I made a screenshot (just because I had nothing else to do :lol: ) and you can see it <A HREF="http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~svo/viahmshot.jpg" target="_new">here</A>.

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
That's the same thing as with my old Shuttle board. So what is hysteresis and what happens of it gets too low? Do the pistons seize up and throw a rod or what?

Martin, Michigan (girlfriend's house)

svol

Champion
I don't know, maybe if the temp gets as high as the hysteresis something like CPU software cooling is enabled. There is no help file with it, it stood on my Abit driver CD. The Abit mobo manual shows only how to install.
I can zip the program and put it on the site for download, if you want?

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hysteresis is the energy expended/used to demagnetise an magnetic item.

Example: We used silicon steel to build transformer because silicon steel has a low Hysteresis, eg. only small amount of energy needed when transformer demagnetise, thus less energy losses in transforming process.

We use high Hysteresis material in making recording tape so that the material will maintain its magnetised status(stable), since more energy is needed for demagnetisation of the material.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I don't think it has anything to do with heat. I will have to do with dynamic loads and the reduction of such.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I sent an E-mail to someone at SOYO so I hope to get a definate answer to your question.

I have through digging have come up with the thought that hysteresis in the CPU and and the mainboard can only be a few things:

1) it can be a set of algorithims that decrease the number of conflicting addressing issues within a complex motherboard. This is what is done with DNS/internet/intranet addressing issues due to dynamic load from users accessing information.

or...

2) It could be a setting that somehow decreases the magnetic effects inherent in electomagnetic/thermoelectric devices. In layman's terms, it causes the negative effects of electromagnetism in the CPU and Motherboard which in effect decreases lag caused by hysteresis. (an effect that cause electromagnetic matrials to not go back to their original state after charging and discharge.

When I get the answer from SOYO I'll update it here.

DP

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I e-mailed a friend of mine at the University of Buffalo and here is his reply:

Hysteresis, in principle is the same in all the fields you mentioned. It simply means some kind of loss when changing a parameter from one value to another and back again. In electromagnetic materials/thermoelectric devices, the loss is usually some form of energy (magnetic/electric, etc.). Typically, you want to minimize the Hysteresis in a system, as you are losing some energy during operation. In computers, Hysteresis could be both good and bad. Hysteresis is used to achieve a loss of time when computer users are doing manual tasks. For instance, when you use a pull-down menu, there is a small time-delay built in using a Hysteresis to make the transition from one menu to another smooth. In a motherboard, Hysteresis can be used to help the performance of the I/O transfers (to make sure some operations happen in sequence, etc.). From an energy perspective, you may want to minimize the amount of Hysteresis because you are losing time or energy when you don't want to lose these things. You can minimize it using temperature control or advanced I/O control algorithms.
<A HREF="http://ldap.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/ldq.pl?stype=cn&ldq=kemper lewis" target="_new"> Dr. Kemper Lewis Associate Professor - Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering </A>

So my guesses were correct. In layman's terms, since computers and memory are thermoelectric and electromagnetic devices there can be losses of energy which cause a slowdown or lag in processing a request. To minimize negative Hysteresis the new settings introduce algorithms that compensate for it. So heat can cause problems but we are talking about a purely electromagnetic effect that is corrected by algorithms.

If someone has some documentation it would be appreciated.

So to answer your question...

If you turn the settings on there could be a slight slow down due to the algorithms being calculated. This would be an overall slowdown like a few less FPS in a half-life deathmatch. However if you are experiencing problems with the system, extra lag between applications, turning the settings on might help.

Hope this helps. Reply with questions and I'll try to get them answered.