ATI Radeon 8500v 64mb Video card
Plextor 24x/10x/40x CD-RW
Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-Rom
Lian-Li PC-61 case
Enermax 550w whisper Power supply
Cambridge Soundworks Live! Speaker system
3Com 3c905CX-TXM NIC
Toshiba floppy drive

I want to OC my processor to 2000+ or higher. I know this motherboard has dip switch or soft OCing in the bios. Also, I have been reading that the XP chip need to be "cracked" first.

Here are my questions:

Since I have this mobo with the OC options, do I still need to crack the processor first?
What frequency and multiplier settings do I need to adjust on my mobo to get the system to run at 2000+. I really didnt understand the manual, and havent OC a processor since my PII333 to a 433 (with a BX6 mobo of course!)

Also, If I do still need to crack the processor, what kit should I get? I see these OC'er stores selling these new kits everywhere. Which is the best place, and best kit to get?

Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by atom631 on 12/06/01 06:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

have_mercy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Its pretty easy, tom has a guide to unlocking the XP, which you still need to do. As for the motherboard just use jumper free mode and after its unlocked you can set the multiplyer in the bios.
You will need epoxy, tape, razor blade, and conductive ink/paint.
And by the way, what temperature does your cpu and mb run at?
Mine is running at 44C cpu 24mb at 1610 Mhz.

|-|4\/3__/\/\3|2(':'

svol

Champion
FSB * Multiplierer = CPU clock speed.
Remember that 1900+ isn't really the clock speed of the CPU, it's just an marketing name which says that the processor is equally to an AMD TBird at 1900 MHz (if I'm right).
Example:
133*10,5=(+/-)1400 MHz.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
To be aware of, an the A7V266-E I've read people have to set the cpu jumper to Athlon/Tbird, not Palomino. On Palomino setting the multipler adjustment was not available. Maybe this will change for later bios/revisions though.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

G

lol
svol, the XP designation with the 1600+, 1900+, etc, is in comparison to the Intel equivelant, not the TBird equivelent.
eg. AMD XP 1900+ equals P4 1900MHz
and peteb, you still need to set the jumper to Palamino core, otherwise the board will not take advantage of the XP chip on board (voltages, etc)
if you have a palamino chip (AMD XP) then you need to set the jumper to palamino.
then you still need to do the steps to unlock the chip (glue, conductor, tape)
my 1600+ chip is running nicely at 1663 MHz at the 12.5x multiplier. i wouldnt even want to think of what this would do if i set the jumper to Athlon instead of palamino

POWER is the only way to go!
ASUS A7V266 1002C
Athlon XP1600+
ASUS V8200 Pure GF3

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wouldn't it be cool if information like this from an experienced user could be found in a searchable database? It would certainly make my day! How do you feel about something like that, peteb?

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
People don't read the past posts so the database would be a great idea. I have the
Asus A7V266-E, unlocked XP1800+ and have posted the answers to the overclocking of
this MB numerous times. Granted it gets old. As posted above, he wouldn't want to think
what would happen it the jumper was set to Athlon/Duron instead of Palomino. That is the
correct fix. Just an example. Your database is a great idea IF they will use it.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Good for you! At least you looked. Come on database.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile: