Microsoft Fax Console & Norton Systemworks

Using Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Just installed
latest update for Norton Systemworks. Whenever I start up
Fax Console or whenever a fax tries to come it, Norton
says it has detected and blocked a trojan (Netspy). I
don't want to turn off this detection as Netspy can be
quite nasty but how do I tell Norton that Microsoft Fax
Console is not a trojan? Can anyone help?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c214c78ea88256c75005f451a/713afacbd4135e0a88256c77007e526f?OpenDocument
Error: "Rule Default Block Netspy Trojan Horse Matched" when you start the
computer

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Hazel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Just installed
> latest update for Norton Systemworks. Whenever I start up
> Fax Console or whenever a fax tries to come it, Norton
> says it has detected and blocked a trojan (Netspy). I
> don't want to turn off this detection as Netspy can be
> quite nasty but how do I tell Norton that Microsoft Fax
> Console is not a trojan? Can anyone help?

Russ,
Thanks very much - that did the trick. I did try Symantec
but got nowhere myself. You must have the magic touch.

I've always found their site hard to navigate too. They keep moving the
furniture.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Russ,
> Thanks very much - that did the trick. I did try Symantec
> but got nowhere myself. You must have the magic touch.

Russ
I'm hoping you can help me again with what seems to be a
related problem. Having carried out the fix suggested by
Symantec, I dialled the fax computer to check it out and
everything seemed hunky-dory but I didn't actually try to
send a fax. It now seems that when I actually send a fax
to the system, it receives the call, says it is receiving
the fax then just at the end, blue screens me with
error "bad pool header". Have looked at some newsgroups
for "bad pool header" and it seems lots of other people
with XP SP2 are having similar problems but no solutions
given yet. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hazel

Haven't seen it.
Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

--
> Russ
> I'm hoping you can help me again with what seems to be a
> related problem. Having carried out the fix suggested by
> Symantec, I dialled the fax computer to check it out and
> everything seemed hunky-dory but I didn't actually try to
> send a fax. It now seems that when I actually send a fax
> to the system, it receives the call, says it is receiving
> the fax then just at the end, blue screens me with
> error "bad pool header". Have looked at some newsgroups
> for "bad pool header" and it seems lots of other people
> with XP SP2 are having similar problems but no solutions
> given yet. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Hazel

Thanks again, will check the modem and its drivers as you
suggest. Thanks for all your help - you've been great.

Russ,
I have had similar problems with XP Fax - only since installing SP2. The fax
worked fine before - so it is nothing to do with modems - all to do with what
SP2 has added. I have to un-install then re-install Fax. Use it once or twice
then it packs up!!.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Haven't seen it.
> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
> might lie.
>
> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Hazel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Russ
> > I'm hoping you can help me again with what seems to be a
> > related problem. Having carried out the fix suggested by
> > Symantec, I dialled the fax computer to check it out and
> > everything seemed hunky-dory but I didn't actually try to
> > send a fax. It now seems that when I actually send a fax
> > to the system, it receives the call, says it is receiving
> > the fax then just at the end, blue screens me with
> > error "bad pool header". Have looked at some newsgroups
> > for "bad pool header" and it seems lots of other people
> > with XP SP2 are having similar problems but no solutions
> > given yet. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Hazel

Try to provide as much installation as possible, including exact steps to
repro, the behavior you see, error messages, Event viewer, etc. Include your
Firewall settings.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]