I fixed my fax after installing SP2

The problems I had:
1. When I would open the fax console, it would
say "refreshing" for ever.
2. If I tried to fax from MSWord, I would get the Send
Fax Wizard window and if I clicked Next, after a while
the program was not responding.

What I did:
I uninstalled it (Start - Control Panel - Add/remove
programs - Add/remove Windows component - untick fax)
Then I reinstalled it (Start - Printer and faxes).

And now it works fine again.

Hope this helps.

ah
3 answers Last reply
More about fixed installing

    Interesting. We'll see if others find the same thing.
    Did you happen to notice whether SP2 updated your modem's drivers?
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "ah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The problems I had:
    > 1. When I would open the fax console, it would
    > say "refreshing" for ever.
    > 2. If I tried to fax from MSWord, I would get the Send
    > Fax Wizard window and if I clicked Next, after a while
    > the program was not responding.
    >
    > What I did:
    > I uninstalled it (Start - Control Panel - Add/remove
    > programs - Add/remove Windows component - untick fax)
    > Then I reinstalled it (Start - Printer and faxes).
    >
    > And now it works fine again.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > ah

    >> Did you happen to notice whether SP2 updated your modem's drivers? <<

    I don't think it did. I have Conexant Ambit SoftK56 Data Fax ICH modem
    Driver provider CNXT
    Driver date 09/08/2001
    Version 3.5.22.0
    I bought my Vaio laptop in January 2002 with this modem built in. The
    drivers must be the original ones.

    > Interesting. We'll see if others find the same thing.
    > Did you happen to notice whether SP2 updated your modem's drivers?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "ah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> The problems I had:
    >> 1. When I would open the fax console, it would
    >> say "refreshing" for ever.
    >> 2. If I tried to fax from MSWord, I would get the Send
    >> Fax Wizard window and if I clicked Next, after a while
    >> the program was not responding.
    >>
    >> What I did:
    >> I uninstalled it (Start - Control Panel - Add/remove
    >> programs - Add/remove Windows component - untick fax)
    >> Then I reinstalled it (Start - Printer and faxes).
    >>
    >> And now it works fine again.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> ah

    This un-install/re-install routine works for me until I switch the m/c off -
    when I switch on again the fax does not work again. I have also done the mod
    to Norton Internet Security suggested in other messages and that does not
    work. ALL SINCE DOWNLOADING SP2!!

    "ah" wrote:

    > >> Did you happen to notice whether SP2 updated your modem's drivers? <<
    >
    > I don't think it did. I have Conexant Ambit SoftK56 Data Fax ICH modem
    > Driver provider CNXT
    > Driver date 09/08/2001
    > Version 3.5.22.0
    > I bought my Vaio laptop in January 2002 with this modem built in. The
    > drivers must be the original ones.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Interesting. We'll see if others find the same thing.
    > > Did you happen to notice whether SP2 updated your modem's drivers?
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "ah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> The problems I had:
    > >> 1. When I would open the fax console, it would
    > >> say "refreshing" for ever.
    > >> 2. If I tried to fax from MSWord, I would get the Send
    > >> Fax Wizard window and if I clicked Next, after a while
    > >> the program was not responding.
    > >>
    > >> What I did:
    > >> I uninstalled it (Start - Control Panel - Add/remove
    > >> programs - Add/remove Windows component - untick fax)
    > >> Then I reinstalled it (Start - Printer and faxes).
    > >>
    > >> And now it works fine again.
    > >>
    > >> Hope this helps.
    > >>
    > >> ah

Control Panel Fax Microsoft Windows XP