I fixed my fax after installing SP2

September 27, 2004 4:16:44 PM

The problems I had:
1. When I would open the fax console, it would
say "refreshing" for ever.
2. If I tried to fax from MSWord, I would get the Send
Fax Wizard window and if I clicked Next, after a while
the program was not responding.

What I did:
I uninstalled it (Start - Control Panel - Add/remove
programs - Add/remove Windows component - untick fax)
Then I reinstalled it (Start - Printer and faxes).

And now it works fine again.

Hope this helps.

ah
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 6:53:35 PM

Interesting. We'll see if others find the same thing.
Did you happen to notice whether SP2 updated your modem's drivers?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"ah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The problems I had:
> 1. When I would open the fax console, it would
> say "refreshing" for ever.
> 2. If I tried to fax from MSWord, I would get the Send
> Fax Wizard window and if I clicked Next, after a while
> the program was not responding.
>
> What I did:
> I uninstalled it (Start - Control Panel - Add/remove
> programs - Add/remove Windows component - untick fax)
> Then I reinstalled it (Start - Printer and faxes).
>
> And now it works fine again.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> ah
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 1:27:37 AM

>> Did you happen to notice whether SP2 updated your modem's drivers? <<

I don't think it did. I have Conexant Ambit SoftK56 Data Fax ICH modem
Driver provider CNXT
Driver date 09/08/2001
Version 3.5.22.0
I bought my Vaio laptop in January 2002 with this modem built in. The
drivers must be the original ones.

news:o PbyuuMpEHA.3488@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Interesting. We'll see if others find the same thing.
> Did you happen to notice whether SP2 updated your modem's drivers?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "ah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The problems I had:
>> 1. When I would open the fax console, it would
>> say "refreshing" for ever.
>> 2. If I tried to fax from MSWord, I would get the Send
>> Fax Wizard window and if I clicked Next, after a while
>> the program was not responding.
>>
>> What I did:
>> I uninstalled it (Start - Control Panel - Add/remove
>> programs - Add/remove Windows component - untick fax)
>> Then I reinstalled it (Start - Printer and faxes).
>>
>> And now it works fine again.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> ah

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 2:55:03 PM

This un-install/re-install routine works for me until I switch the m/c off -
when I switch on again the fax does not work again. I have also done the mod
to Norton Internet Security suggested in other messages and that does not
work. ALL SINCE DOWNLOADING SP2!!

!