Win 98 printer driverCompatibility with WIN XP home: HELP!!

This is my problem:

I have recently purchased computer with WIN XP Home. I have a nice, laser
printer from Canon that ONLY supports drivers up to and including WIN 98. I
have asked Canon to “update� the driver to WIN XP but bluntly, they have no
plans to do so/ doubt whether they will. At this point, then, I can only use
the printer if WIN 98 is installed. With the present WIN XP home operating
system, this means that the Canon Printer (LBP-460) must be thrown away in a
manner of speaking. Is there ANYWAY I can somehow use this great printer who
only has drivers for WIN 98 when all I have is WIN XP Home presently
installed on a new computer? Are there any “workarounds� or “fixes� that
could help me? Thanks!

If there are drivers for Windows 2000 you can use them.

Windows 9x drivers will not work (and should not even install) on XP.
www.coribright.com

"Patrick Turner" <Patrick Turner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is my problem:
>
> I have recently purchased computer with WIN XP Home. I have a nice, laser
> printer from Canon that ONLY supports drivers up to and including WIN 98.
> have asked Canon to "update" the driver to WIN XP but bluntly, they have
> no
> plans to do so/ doubt whether they will. At this point, then, I can only
> use
> the printer if WIN 98 is installed. With the present WIN XP home operating
> system, this means that the Canon Printer (LBP-460) must be thrown away in
> manner of speaking. Is there ANYWAY I can somehow use this great printer
> who
> only has drivers for WIN 98 when all I have is WIN XP Home presently
> installed on a new computer? Are there any "workarounds" or "fixes" that
> could help me? Thanks!

Your Canon printer emulates the HP LaserJet IIP.. according to Microsoft
help pages, XP does have inbuilt support for the IIP.. have you tried
hooking it up to see if it works?..

"Patrick Turner" <Patrick Turner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is my problem:
>
> I have recently purchased computer with WIN XP Home. I have a nice, laser
> printer from Canon that ONLY supports drivers up to and including WIN 98.
> have asked Canon to "update" the driver to WIN XP but bluntly, they have
> no
> plans to do so/ doubt whether they will. At this point, then, I can only
> use
> the printer if WIN 98 is installed. With the present WIN XP home operating
> system, this means that the Canon Printer (LBP-460) must be thrown away in
> manner of speaking. Is there ANYWAY I can somehow use this great printer
> who
> only has drivers for WIN 98 when all I have is WIN XP Home presently
> installed on a new computer? Are there any "workarounds" or "fixes" that
> could help me? Thanks!

OS coverage for this printer is DOS, 3.1, 95, 98, OS2 re installable
drivers..

> If there are drivers for Windows 2000 you can use them.
>
> Windows 9x drivers will not work (and should not even install) on XP.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Patrick Turner" <Patrick Turner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:2AAD81E1-FB84-4A64-AD0C-61F09F25826E@microsoft.com...
>> This is my problem:
>>
>> I have recently purchased computer with WIN XP Home. I have a nice, laser
>> printer from Canon that ONLY supports drivers up to and including WIN 98.
>> have asked Canon to "update" the driver to WIN XP but bluntly, they have
>> no
>> plans to do so/ doubt whether they will. At this point, then, I can only
>> use
>> the printer if WIN 98 is installed. With the present WIN XP home
>> operating
>> system, this means that the Canon Printer (LBP-460) must be thrown away
>> in a
>> manner of speaking. Is there ANYWAY I can somehow use this great printer
>> who
>> only has drivers for WIN 98 when all I have is WIN XP Home presently
>> installed on a new computer? Are there any "workarounds" or "fixes" that
>> could help me? Thanks!

Andy

Cari-

I think I have the same problem. My main computer (with the printer
attached) runs 98. I have two other computers on the network. One runs
W2000, and I have no problem printing to the shared printer. The other
computer runs XP Professional. I can find the shared printer with no
problem, but can't print.

So are you saying that I can download a W2000 driver for the printer onto my
main computer, and that will solve my problem? Will that interfere with
printing from my W98 computer?

Thank you so much for you help.

Andy

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If there are drivers for Windows 2000 you can use them.
>
> Windows 9x drivers will not work (and should not even install) on XP.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Patrick Turner" <Patrick Turner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is my problem:
> >
> > I have recently purchased computer with WIN XP Home. I have a nice, laser
> > printer from Canon that ONLY supports drivers up to and including WIN 98.
> > have asked Canon to "update" the driver to WIN XP but bluntly, they have
> > no
> > plans to do so/ doubt whether they will. At this point, then, I can only
> > use
> > the printer if WIN 98 is installed. With the present WIN XP home operating
> > system, this means that the Canon Printer (LBP-460) must be thrown away in
> > manner of speaking. Is there ANYWAY I can somehow use this great printer
> > who
> > only has drivers for WIN 98 when all I have is WIN XP Home presently
> > installed on a new computer? Are there any "workarounds" or "fixes" that
> > could help me? Thanks!

Often, printers in the same series are similar enough that drivers for one
will work for another. Windows XP comes with a driver for the Canon
LPB-430, which may work with the 460 although some features may not be
available.

Use the technique described at
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm to install the driver on
the XP computer and connect to the printer shared from the Windows 98
computer.

Some Windows 2000 drivers will work on XP and some don't. Even when they do
"work", some things may not print correctly.

Also, most laser printers support HP's PCL, so, to get basic printing
capability, you may find that the driver for the HP LaserJet 4, 5 or 6 may
work if the printer is a laser printer, particularly for printing to a
printer shared from another computer.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing

"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cari-
>
> I think I have the same problem. My main computer (with the printer
> attached) runs 98. I have two other computers on the network. One runs
> W2000, and I have no problem printing to the shared printer. The other
> computer runs XP Professional. I can find the shared printer with no
> problem, but can't print.
>
> So are you saying that I can download a W2000 driver for the printer onto
> my
> main computer, and that will solve my problem? Will that interfere with
> printing from my W98 computer?
>
> Thank you so much for you help.
>
> Andy
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> If there are drivers for Windows 2000 you can use them.
>>
>> Windows 9x drivers will not work (and should not even install) on XP.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "Patrick Turner" <Patrick Turner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > This is my problem:
>> >
>> > I have recently purchased computer with WIN XP Home. I have a nice,
>> > laser
>> > printer from Canon that ONLY supports drivers up to and including WIN
>> > 98.
>> > have asked Canon to "update" the driver to WIN XP but bluntly, they
>> > have
>> > no
>> > plans to do so/ doubt whether they will. At this point, then, I can
>> > only
>> > use
>> > the printer if WIN 98 is installed. With the present WIN XP home
>> > operating
>> > system, this means that the Canon Printer (LBP-460) must be thrown away
>> > in
>> > manner of speaking. Is there ANYWAY I can somehow use this great
>> > printer
>> > who
>> > only has drivers for WIN 98 when all I have is WIN XP Home presently
>> > installed on a new computer? Are there any "workarounds" or "fixes"
>> > that
>> > could help me? Thanks!

Andy

Thanks so much, Bruce.

So I don't have to install a "newer" driver on my 98 machine?

"Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

> Often, printers in the same series are similar enough that drivers for one
> will work for another. Windows XP comes with a driver for the Canon
> LPB-430, which may work with the 460 although some features may not be
> available.
>
> Use the technique described at
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm to install the driver on
> the XP computer and connect to the printer shared from the Windows 98
> computer.
>
> Some Windows 2000 drivers will work on XP and some don't. Even when they do
> "work", some things may not print correctly.
>
> Also, most laser printers support HP's PCL, so, to get basic printing
> capability, you may find that the driver for the HP LaserJet 4, 5 or 6 may
> work if the printer is a laser printer, particularly for printing to a
> printer shared from another computer.
>

> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
>
> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>

> "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Cari-
> >
> > I think I have the same problem. My main computer (with the printer
> > attached) runs 98. I have two other computers on the network. One runs
> > W2000, and I have no problem printing to the shared printer. The other
> > computer runs XP Professional. I can find the shared printer with no
> > problem, but can't print.
> >
> > So are you saying that I can download a W2000 driver for the printer onto
> > my
> > main computer, and that will solve my problem? Will that interfere with
> > printing from my W98 computer?
> >
> > Thank you so much for you help.
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> If there are drivers for Windows 2000 you can use them.
> >>
> >> Windows 9x drivers will not work (and should not even install) on XP.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> >> www.coribright.com
> >>
> >> "Patrick Turner" <Patrick Turner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Well, Windows 2000 or Windows XP Printer Drivers WILL NOT WORK on Windows
98, so you certainly don't want to try install a 2000 or XP driver on you
Windows 98 computer..

However, if Canon have a newer Windows 98 driver for the LPB-460, it might
be useful to install that on the Windows 98 computer.

But, if everything is working OK, I'd leave well enough alone!

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP