Broadband Access cards

VZW seems to have 2 cards for accessing their Broadband from a laptop: the
Audiovox PC5220($50 after rebate) and the Novatel V620 ($100 after rebate).
Ideas on which is a better card? For the extra $50 does the Novatel have
better reception? Thanks.

Ron Dawes wrote:
> VZW seems to have 2 cards for accessing their Broadband from a
> laptop: the Audiovox PC5220($50 after rebate) and the Novatel V620
> ($100 after rebate). Ideas on which is a better card? For the extra
> $50 does the Novatel have better reception? Thanks.

May be different in your zip code, but I show the 5220 as having a $150
rebate (making it 49.99), rather than a 50 rebate. And the Novatel as $100
discount making it $99.99.

As for which works better, don't know, been using the PC5220 in my laptop in
both NationalAccess Areas AND BroadbandAccess areas. Be aware that if you
use networking (wired or wireless), they have gone to eliminating sharing
for both.

I haven't made the change yet from my 1X RTT card but a couple of people
have said that if you don't use the Verizon software to control the card but
just use regular dial up networking and treat it as a regular modem that it
will work fine and you can share it. I'm not sure how you would load it and
the drivers to do it this way if it's like my older Sierra Wireless 555 card
but I guess I'll have to explore this soon.

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Ron Dawes wrote:
>> VZW seems to have 2 cards for accessing their Broadband from a
>> laptop: the Audiovox PC5220($50 after rebate) and the Novatel V620
>> ($100 after rebate). Ideas on which is a better card? For the extra
>> $50 does the Novatel have better reception? Thanks.
>
> May be different in your zip code, but I show the 5220 as having a $150
> rebate (making it 49.99), rather than a 50 rebate. And the Novatel as $100
> discount making it $99.99.
>
> As for which works better, don't know, been using the PC5220 in my laptop
> in both NationalAccess Areas AND BroadbandAccess areas. Be aware that if
> you use networking (wired or wireless), they have gone to eliminating
> sharing for both.

Yep, that will work.. Just install the drivers/special version and then
don't use it, and just use DUN instead.. You only have to install MO to get
the custom drivers installed, the setup strings sent to the card, and the
changes to DUN to allow faster speeds. After that you really don't need it
to use it, but without installing MO (and then not using it afterwards),
it's a royal pain to get everything setup. The easy way (a bit sleazy but
hey!) is to get the MO kit.. Install it, and then return it for a refund.

Actually, unless you have a need for speed and live in one of the EVDO
areas, you may want to consider sticking with the older one. I am in Las
Vegas, and since they started EVDO, my 1XRTT has gotten faster and connects
quicker!