jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
I like car simulation games:

The only game that i've played so far in this genre is Colin McRAE Rally 3. Very Nice Graphics and physics.
Though levels are short.

Other choices:

1. Rallispeed Challenge

2. Need for Speed underground

3. etcc... any comments

<b><font color=red>
"Remain at stock speed"</b> - The Overclocker.
</font color=red>

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Racing games are one of my favorites types of games.

If you are looking for car SIMULATION, I would suggest trying Life for Speed (LFS) you can dowload a demo at <A HREF="http://www.lfs.com" target="_new">http://www.lfs.com</A>. It's an independant game (only 3 or 4 developpers) so the graphics are not incredible, but the physics are the most realistic you can find.

I played Colin McRae 3, same opinion. Loved the graphics and the physics, but didn't like the shortness of the levels and all the little 'movies' in between stages.

Is Need for Speed Undeground released? I tought it was due for the christmas period. I loved NFS Porsche Unleashed, but I was a bit disapointed with NFS Hot Pursuit 2. The physics weren't as good as the previous NFS.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
TOCA: Race Driver is very good. Live for Speed is also supposed to be good, its an on-line racer too.

I would have to disagree with you all on CM3...poor visuals. The only good looking thing was the car, the scenery looks like its made of cardboard (infact I'd say it looks similar to 1 and 2 for scenery)

Physics are also off...too much sliding, and not just that, take it from someone who has actually dabbled in a spot of Rally Driving.

Perhaps this is why Number 4 is already almost upon us!...supposedly much better and have fixed alot of the issue i mentioned above I am led to believe.

Not slating your opinions guys dont worry, just letting you know mine. I say this about everything, if you like it thenm you like it, thats all that matters. But TOCA is IMO definatley worth a look.

Best Driving Game/s and SIMULATION is Gran Tourismo Series (3 being the best so far apart from fewer cars)

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
oh and jmecor did you mean Ralli<b>Sport</b> Challenge? by Microsoft? if so then that too is good, very arcady but a blast multiplayer.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
That'ss weird, I found CM3's physics good, and TOCA: Race Driver's so so. In my opinion there is more sliding in TOCA than there is in CM3, considering that TOCA's car are racing on asphalt. But I only played the demo of TOCA, so I don't know if they improved the physics in the real game.

You're right for CM3, I now remember that the spectators and trees are 2D, which is a big minus. But I still found the textures, the sky, and the road very good.

Gran Tourismo 3 is without a doubt in my mind the best driving game ever to be created, too bad it's not on PC.

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Here Here for Gran Tourismo...

...In the full game of TOCA you can enable "SIM" mode wich is muc less forgiving thatn the rather arcade like handling of the regular mode. MUCH MUCH Better!

As far as CM3 goes, I only really meant the main scenery ie: trees, crowds etc the sky and lens glare stuff is pretty good. The car itself behave pretty well too in the way it moves about. its just doesnt interact that well with the ground is all.

Ho hum, Just wish there was a decent proper Emulator for GT3 on PC...combined with my PS2 pad adaptor....sigh! :wink:

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Ever tried a Formula 1 simulation game such as Gran Prix 4 or F1 2002. I do not know if the physics in those games are really close to the reality (I never driven a F1 car), but in the games the physics are unforgiven.

If you step a bit too hard on the gas, you spin out. The same thing happens if you go to hard on the kerbs. And if its raining, the cars are impossible to drive even with traction control.

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Yeah, have GP4 and F1 99-02 or whatever it is. GP4 is the more realistic i think but yeah the physics in those games are pretty accurate. Damn im possible to play without most of the driving aids on which kinda defeats the whole purpose really. Oh well.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I also like GP4 more than the F1 series from EA Sports. I really like how you can make all kinds of adjustements on your car and the handling differs accordingly. I did not play that much with GP4, but I remember playing the heck out of GP2. It was easier than to control the car with the keyboard. Good times...

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
I keep forgetting I have it, must try it with my cordless wingman...

...Have you/anyone tried IndyCar series? The Demo is available for D/L. If you like indy car it seems pretty good! runs very fast! shame most indycar tracks are ovals.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I thought the demo of STCC2, Swedish Touring Car Championship 2 had fantastic car physics. Unfortunately, I never did find the game here in the USA.

I picked up Rally Masters which I believe (not sure) has the same engine but all the tracks are bounded. This greatly hurts the game in my opinion.

Both games are really old with dated graphics.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 08/29/03 11:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Cant say I have heard of that one? Im in the UK so Im guessing it probably didnt make it over here either. NFS Underground looks promissing. World Racing is also due out soon...Anyone heard much about it? looks ok.

>>>[According to Play.com HL2 release date set for 28 November. This would make sense according to the rumoured Vivendi delay - Deus Ex 2 due on 12 September? I find this on hard to believe]<<<

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not surprised. STCC2 would have limited appeal. Mostly FWD, 2.0 liter cars. Kind of like taking your family car racing.

I think when I was looking, a couple of years ago, I saw it for sale at Amazon UK but it was out of stock.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Never tried any IndyCar racing games because of the ovals. For me ovals are just plain stupid and boring. Turning around and around for 200 laps, is not my thing. Also some ovals don't need any particular talents. I mean some ovals don't even require braking in the corners, just floor the accelarator and avoid the other cars and the wall and that's it.

Compare this to rallying or F1, and there is a sharp contrast on how much work the drivers have to do.

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
I agree, I think IndyCar is an endurance thing. although they are not all oval tracks but 80% are.