Your question

Msn and Windows 7 RTM major problem

Tags:
  • MSN
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 19, 2009 10:09:30 PM

Hello there,

i installed on my friend's pc ( asus P5Q /2bg ram ddr2 / core2duo procc/ 9800gt)
the windows 7 rtm pro edition, everything works smooth games etc , but theres major
problem with msn.

The msn connects, then freezes for 3-5 seconds and shows the message
"not responding" after this its ok and lists the contacs. When he opens a contact to speak
msn does the same freezing - not responding for 3-5 seconds and then he can write etc.

Msn finally ,
freezes for good and not comming back when he tries to open emoticons list or any other
option that is above the chat.

We unistalled it several times (the last version) just in case we can make it work properly, but nothing really
happend, so i put the 8.5 beta version that i found available on the web, the results are a little better , but
again when he tries to open emoticons and the other options that are above the chat, again msn totally freezes
and not comming back.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance :) 

More about : msn windows rtm major problem

October 19, 2009 10:38:08 PM

I don't think anyone can offer support yet for a non-released product. If by RTM you mean the RC candidate, maybe someone has had a similar experience with MSN. I'm sure that if this problem persists after Oct 22, you can talk to an MS rep and see what they have to say.
m
l
October 19, 2009 11:12:31 PM

hardwaretechy said:
I don't think anyone can offer support yet for a non-released product. If by RTM you mean the RC candidate, maybe someone has had a similar experience with MSN. I'm sure that if this problem persists after Oct 22, you can talk to an MS rep and see what they have to say.

No, its not the RC Canditate, its the RTM that will be sold @ 22 Oct, and yes its genuine, its from my university msdn programm.

Also i forgot to mention that, when i installed Win 7 on my computer msn worked (and works) just fine, no problems at all. This is so weird.

If any1 knows something, respond here please :) 
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 20, 2009 1:18:21 PM

Sorry, I understand about MSDN, what I meant was that I don't think the MS support channels for this stuff is open yet till the official product launch. They may however some sort of support through your MSDN subscription, so you could try to ask the question there too.

If MSN worked fine before then it sounds like something changed, or corrupted it. Try completely uninstalling it -- if this is possible, make sure you reboot afterwards. Then install it from scratch and see what happens.
m
l
October 20, 2009 3:51:18 PM

hardwaretechy said:

If MSN worked fine before then it sounds like something changed, or corrupted it. Try completely uninstalling it -- if this is possible, make sure you reboot afterwards. Then install it from scratch and see what happens.

As i said , i did that, several times actually, but the problem remains.I have no idea whats goin' on >.>
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 21, 2009 11:11:26 PM

Is this a fresh download of Messenger (I assume that when you say MSN, you mean Windows Live Messenger)? The build number for the program should be 14.0.8089.726.
m
l
October 23, 2009 2:28:11 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Is this a fresh download of Messenger (I assume that when you say MSN, you mean Windows Live Messenger)? The build number for the program should be 14.0.8089.726.

So , i have some news regarding this problem. I 've formated the pc 3 times now, only for the messenger (yes i am talking about msn live messenger and the version is the latest from the official site). The problem persists, even without drivers or with drivers . Not responding and after it responds its beeing very heavy, its not usable at all. EVERYTHING else is working great games/apps/office apps/ etc etc all fine except the damn msn . Help!!!!
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 23, 2009 3:23:25 PM

Try setting the DEP attribute on the WLM executable. If that doesn't work, right click on the main executable and go to Properties. Check the box to always run the program as an administrator, and failing that, run it in compatibility mode for either Vista or XP.
m
l
October 23, 2009 9:50:33 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Try setting the DEP attribute on the WLM executable.

Hm, to be honest i dont understand you completly, by WLM you mean windows live messenger apparently, that DEP is what i dont know, and how to set it.

The_Prophecy said:
If that doesn't work, right click on the main executable and go to Properties. Check the box to always run the program as an administrator, and failing that, run it in compatibility mode for either Vista or XP.

Nothing of them worked i am afraid.

Lol whats goin' on ? This is sooo bizarre. =/
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 23, 2009 11:19:50 PM

DEP = Data Execution Prevention. I actually tried it myself when writing out the steps on how to add WLM to the DEP exception list and found out that you cannot add the executable for the latest version of Live Messenger.

So we are basically at square one again. I am out of ideas for the moment. Hopefully someone else will see this thread and have another suggestion. I will continue to ponder this in the meantime to see if there is a way to help you fix it.
m
l
October 23, 2009 11:35:09 PM

The_Prophecy said:
DEP = Data Execution Prevention. I actually tried it myself when writing out the steps on how to add WLM to the DEP exception list and found out that you cannot add the executable for the latest version of Live Messenger.

So we are basically at square one again. I am out of ideas for the moment. Hopefully someone else will see this thread and have another suggestion. I will continue to ponder this in the meantime to see if there is a way to help you fix it.

Much appreciated :) 
m
l
October 28, 2009 10:59:13 PM

i have the same problem as described here, any real fix ?

thnx in advance
m
l
January 28, 2010 7:50:07 PM

this isnt a real fix i suppose but when you close down the main msn list of freinds then the conversations run perfectly, its only when the msn main window is open tht the conversation windows freeze and screw up

a temporary fix i suppose
m
l
February 12, 2010 7:45:41 PM

Well some random time, dont remember when exactly, the problem just stopped and everything works just fine now in msn. Makes no sense at all to me.
Maybe there was some update from windows auto update system that actually made it work, but thats just a guess. Who knows really...
m
l
February 12, 2010 8:35:15 PM

I had problems with "new" MSN on Vista and 7...if i install fresh MSN i cant login at all...some error something...so what i do is when i install fresh windows for example i install old MSN first...i belive that is version 8.x.x.x something and then i try to login and get message that my messenger is too old and that i have to make an update in order for it to work...i click yes...it downloads a bit, some more next clicking and after that works perfectly...

I know method is a bit odd but works great on my machine and i tested it on several others as well...
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
July 27, 2010 10:23:20 AM

Hey! Try this,
Go to Start > Control Panel
Network and Internet
Internet Options
Click on Connections tab
Click LAN Settings
Untick Automatically detect settings.