Overclocking a laptop

G

I know many people have told me that laptops are not for overclocking, but i would like to just try to overclock it miniscualy. I would like to try without opening the case and messing w/ the jumpers, and would like to know how to do it through the BIOS. My bios is a bit outdated, my specs are as follows:

Thinkpad 600E
300mhz Pentium II
192 RAM
BIOS number/ date: IBET53WW / 9/18/99
unit serial number 264545U78DXR95
board serial number J176A619IYT

Is it possible to overclock this laptop without going into the motherboard? Do I need to flash my BIOS? Thank you for all of your expertise and time. :)
--David

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you can overclock laptops, but after doing some research, and i think it was for hoylcow, it is only possible through software...
but you CAN overclock.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

isnt this going to be hot? 8) the battery capacitiy will also drop... no point in squeezing the last mhz out of that old guy!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
laptops run pretty cool...think about it....they are thin...and still can run at ~1000mhz!!!
pretty quick for something that is cooled by less than an inch of heatsink.
but yeah, the battery life will drop, but maybe there is a way to use a .bat file to make the cpufsb automatically clock the chip to stock when it is unplugged from the adapter...like how the computer automatically dims the screen...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you generally have a heatspreader, similar to the new Intel processors, a "heat tranfer tube" which I think must contain ether or something, the fins are usually located a few inches away at the rear of the case, just inside of the fans.
If you can figure out what clock generator, you could use CPUcool, it does have temp monitering built it, I think you can adjust the clock speed depending on temp, but you run a serious risk.
Laptop processors have a thermal limit of 100*C, from the ones I've seen the fans usually turn ON at about 70*C, and turn back off around 60*C. thats damn hot.
Now, the processors that are stable at these temps are few and far between, so mobile chips are more expensive. If you can get the fans running constantly to keep it cooler than the system defaults, you should have NO PROBLEM whatsoever, but remember, you are already running the processor far hotter most desktops will run stable at default speeds.

edit: do a search for i8kfangui, it *might* run on your laptop and tell you the temp from the on di temp sensor. the program was created for the Dell Inspiron series, but uses Intel sensors, so its got a 50/50 chance of working, I don't think it will run your fans, but it should read your temp.
----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b><A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=97" target="_new"><font color=red>AnandTech-Overclocking a laptop</A></b></font color=red>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.