How do you Remove the HSF?

Archer01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
I have an ELSA GF2 GTS. The fan on the HSF has become unballanced and it makes a horrible rattling noise. It was driveing me nuts so I thought I'd buy a Pentium HSF to replace the one currently on the GPU and maybe do some overclocking. So I took a look at my current GPU HSF and found that it seems to be attached to my GPU with thermal adheasive. Does anybody know how to get it off without damageing my card? Thanks.

I put them in a bag and put tham in the freezer about 30 minutes. Then take it out and place a cridit card on the board to protect it. Then pry it off with a flat blade screwdriver by twisting it .They eill pop right off. Clean off the left over glue with a razor blade. VERY CAREFULLY. Good luck and have fun..........

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I use the flat side of a knife to protect the board and pry it off with a thin screwdriver.

I use JB Weld to affix the new one, in a super thin coat, thick enough to fill irregularities in the chip's surface.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
concept behind freezing is that it makes the adhesive more brittle... but I didn't find it necessary to remove the last two I have done. Takes a little force, but as long as you are careful you will not damage any part of the card. Using something like a credit card beneath the screwdriver to spread the weight is very advisable though !

Removing the remaing glue took forever last time I did it. Takes some patience.

Tim

I am Homer of Borg ! Prepare to be... MMMhhhhh Doughnuts

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I dunno what they used on my card but it chipped the blade on my swiss army knife :( I wasn't happy

Tim

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Do you mean towards the horizontal or towards the vertical ?

And whats a Schrade ?

Tim

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I go for the freezer trick too, if it wont come off with a slim knife/screwdriver, 1/2 an hour in the freezer and it will lever off easily. remeber to leave it for a while after until all condensation disapears.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

credit card? im a little new to all of this..but i dont get what u mean by use a credit card or knife to protect the board...sorry

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Its easy ok you slide the credit card inbetween the HSF and PCB (Ie the fan and the board) and you leaver the HSF off with a Screwdriver (which you sit on top on the credit card and under the HSF) in a simular way you would remove the lid from paint... (NOTE: twisting the screwdriver uses much less force and is safer than leaver action)

Tim

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
You use a knife or credit card to protect you video card as follows:

1) Visit your friend who is a Computer Tech.

2) At his house, pull out the knife and threaten to use it on him unless he removes the HSF from your videocard.

3) If he does break the vid card, use your credit card to purchase a new one. Better yet, use his credit card to purchase a new one. This can be done either before or after you use the knife on him.

Enjoy!

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
I've got an Asus GF3, and I'm having troubles with my fan also. It has the plastic push pins though, so I am guessing that it does not have the thermal adhesive. Is this a legitimate guess?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
if it has the plastic pins...there should be no adhesive.
but sometimes the grease that they use gets quite thick, and will make it feel like it is thermally adhered.
just pull on it, and it will come off.
but before you put on another heatsink/fan, clean off the chip with rubbing alchohol. let it dry, and then put on some arctic silver or some other thermal grease. then push the plastic pins on the new heatsink fan , or if you are using thermal adhesive...jut stick it on..
and plug the new fan in.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Well obviously take the pins out first :eek:)which should involve no damage to the card.

And the fact that it has pins doesn't mean that it isn't Adhesive, I have seen a number of cards with pins and adhesive ! One way to check - When you take the pins out can you move the HSF in any way (wobble or slide it from side to side ?) If not you have the adehsive on as well.

Tim

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah..you do have to pull the pins first.
and when you put it back on...you have to put the pins back in..hehe
forgot to add that!
hehe
:smile:

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Hate to be so pedantic :) just it read like you ignored the pins !

Tim

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me... You can call me Al