60mm to 80mm fan adapter funnel

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
will it improve the air flow by using <A HREF="http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/filtersguard.shtml" target="_new">this adapter</A> on the PAL6035? i'm planning to use it with the Adda 80mm 26.2 CFM fan...should i add another 92mm intake fan on the side and another 80mm exhaust fan at the rear (that'll make it dual 80mm exhaust) any suggestion?...thanks!

piii 1ghz, culs2-c, 512mb
64mb vivo, audigy platinum ex
(1)40gb 60gxp, (1)80gb d740x
106s pioneer, plexwriter 16x/40x, newq platinum equalizer, asus iPanel
(2)80mm Enermax Thermo control fans
350w enermax whisper PSU
Enlight 7237 case.

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
It should increase the CFM, and thus decrease you cooler temp and thus CPU temp. I cannot see why it would not work.

It will work better than other mods to get a 80mm fan onto a 60mm fan housing like I have seen before.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
watch out with the way that raises the center of gravity of the cooler tho.
you might consider a shim to protect the core.
putting a slightly large fan on an adapter, which raises the fan a signifigant ammount above the surface of where a normal fan would be.
now dont get me wrong, i think that these adapters are good.
they allow you to use quieter, higher CFM fans...just watch the CG...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanks for the reply guys! i already sent an email over the customer service for info about the center gravity...

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Don't bother. I tried an adapter on my ThermoEngine, and my temps went up. There was some kind of "propeller wash" going on, where air was whirling around in the wrong places. That's because of the adapter though, not the heatsink.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
fatbugger -- did you try it with the fan blowing out? Blowing in to a constricted area would cause blockage with air flow, but blowing out wouldnt.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, but heatsinks work their best when the air is blown down on them.
and the fan will last longer when you have the fan blowing in....less heat on the bearings, and dust is more likely to clog up the bearings...
much better heat dissipation, and longer fan life..
if the adapter doesnt work well with the fan, you most likely have a high output fan hooked up to it, and that will cause some back pressure. which will make the fan louder, and not work as great.
you have to get a fan that will work well with an adapter.

-DAvid

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeup, tried it both ways. Temps were exactly the same.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I don't know why center of gravity will matter here on a stationary object. I know that the PAL6035 only uses one of the three clips but really...I don't think that he would go shaking his case around and causing shaken baby syndrome and cracking the chipset off the motherboard.

If you are really afraid of doing as such, <A HREF="http://www.2cooltek.com/retro.html" target="_new"> look at this retrofit of a Global Win heatsink. </A> You could do the same and keep the COG, Center of Gravity, close to the same spot. Then you can shake the case around all you want.

Sorry if I am being too sarcastic, but I just think that COG is not an issue here. Airflow is.

BTW: Has anyone tried one of those funnels on their machine?

Also: The PAL6035 is supposed to use induction. Air across the HS fins and then up through the fan. <A HREF="http://www.micforg.co.jp/c_pale.html" target="_new"> Look at the upper diagram. </A> The funnel <font color=red><b>might</b></font color=red> be a good addition to create a better vacuum between the fins and the fan. Just a thought though.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bum_JCRules on 12/12/01 03:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
COG is an issue...especially if he wants to move his case...
have you ever put a ruler on the edge of a desk?
the farther it moves out, the more it is likely to fall off.
imagine if you were to add some weight to the end that is hanging off. then you would ony be able to move the ruler out a little bit now. because the COG changed.
even though you are not shaking the desk, there is more rotational force.
i am not talking about shaking his case, i am talking about the static pressure on the core of the cpu. just a little uneven pressure could effect it...but then again, the fan would have to be heavier...which an 80mm fan is....compared to a 40 or 60mm fan.
but whatever...i dont know about you, but i tend to move my computer sometimes...and dont want to have to bother with removing the heatsink, and reapplying it every time i want to move my case somewhere...just to be sure that the core is not going to be cracked.

-DAvid

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Like I said, I didn't mean to sound so sarcastic but I understand where you are comming from with reguards to static force, normal, levers, tourque, etc. I am not positive on the exact weight but it is an aluminum heat sink with a copper heat spreader. As compaired to the PAL8045, it is smaller in size so I can assume that it is ligher. The bulk of the weight is close to the fulcrum.

So I am not saying you don't have a point, but moving a plastic fan that weighs 1/20 of the total HSF combo, out an ince and a half is no big deal in my opinion. Now it might if you put a lot of distance on it like six inches and added a lot more mass at the end but I don't see how a socket that is designed to hold a 500g HSF combo will be affected by something that stresses it less than the maximum capacity.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i wasnt talking about the socket itself, i was talking about the core of the cpu.
i understand that most of the weight is towards the fulcrum of the "lever" but there is still a lever.
maybe the clip on the hsf is strong enough...i dunno.
but the funel that he was talking abot looks like it is tall.
that is why i voiced my concern.
there is the short adapters...but they seem like they might put more backflow on the fan....but might not if you use a lower speed fan.
btw, some 80mm fans can be pretty heavy...some are more than others due to different motor design and plasitc used.

-DAvid

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I get your point about cracking the die. He is using a PIII and it is less susceptible to having the core crack as with an Athlon, and even less is the P4. However you point is correct that it could cause damage to the bottom edge of the core.

I guess the only way to solve this delema is to do one of two things.

1) make sure that the core can handle the force,

or...

2) use the suggestion of using a larger fan without the funnel like in the <A HREF="http://www.2cooltek.com/retro.html" target="_new"> link </A> I posted earlier.

We won't know about the first until someone does the analysis.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bum_JCRules on 12/12/01 04:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i like the "retrofit" idea...
makes more sense than an adapter in my eyes...
and yeah, the p3 is less likely to crack, but there is still a chance...due to the core being pretty much exposed.
a p4 on the other hand, has a heat plate on it...which really does protect it.
i have to give intel props on their design, with the auto protection, and the heat plate.
(auto protection making a reference to the video done by THG about what happens when a heatsink is removed, where the p4 kept running, and kept it's temperature under 40*C!!!!!)

-DAvid

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
That retrofit idea looks good. Someone was being really clever (why didn't I think of that?)

I don't want an Intel Inside! (all those sharp corners and pins)

Atlanta, GA

G

I'm by no means an expert in these matters, but something occured to me when looking at that retro-fitted Globalwin.

As the centre of the 80mm fan is much larger than the 60mm it replaces it seems to me that considerably less surface area of the heatsink is actually being cooled by the fan with it being so close. Surely a funnel redirecting the airflow down on the whole surface area from a slightly elevated position would yield a better gain in cooling?

Edit : Sorry that should have been addressed to Bum_JCRules. :)

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
good point.
maybe if the fan was mounted off to the side, and there was some sort of duct that would bring the air that was being blown down next to the heatsink, redirected back through the heatsink from the side...anyone know what i mean?

-DAvid

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, yeah off to the side would be better from the COG point of view. I think a good carburator (sp?) engineer would do well to design an adapter vent with the Venturi effect to give the best cooling velocity at the HS. My $.02.
Good Luck, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)