Can't get PIII 866 to run with 133 mhz buss

lsegal

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2001
I also posted this on (overclocking/motherboard)

I recently purchased a PIII 866 and installed it in my
MSI MB MS6163 Pro with BX chip set and 100 MHZ CL2 ram.

The board allows you to control voltage, multiplier and buss speed. The fastest I can run the system is about 824 MHZ:6.5 * 126 MHZ fairly stable. When I first ran it at this
speed today (Win2k Pro) Outlook froze a couple of times but
now everything seems to be working.

More intesting, when I bring the buss up to 133 I can boot
off a DOS disk fine, access the two hard drives, do a DIR.

When I boot into Win98 the system hangs ( and for fear of
trashing my everyday system Win2k I never try booting Win2k
at 133 MHZ. System is dual boot.)

I tried running the system with a Buss speed of 100 MHZ but
then I can't get the chip to multiply past 6.5. ( I guess this could be gotten around with one of Tom's tape job).

So, I have been reading Tom's articles about running the
BX chip set at 133. He seems to think it can be done overclocking a slower chip with 100 MHZ memory. MSI specifies the board should handle up to a 1 Gig PIII.

My guess might be the memory. I pulled out the slower simm
8 NS and left in one I believe is 7.5 or less. I still can't boot into Win98.

I was hoping to run system at 866, and, if it would have worked around multiplier, 931 MHZ
questions: would 133 MHZ ram make a difference?
Any other suggestions or ideas why I can't run buss at
133 with multiplier of 6.5 with 866 PIII.
Thanks

G

Well bro,

Its your own words "100MHz CL2 RAM". Of course they would fail @ 133MHz. I think 126MHz is exceptionally well for RAMs rated for 100MHz. Right?

So, solutions:

1) Upgrade to 133MHz RAM. RAM is dead chip at the moment.

2) Go to CAS latency 3 (CL 3). That would give you some more room for MHz. But don't expect miracles.

3) Intel's can't be unlocked. Sorry :( Only AMDs can be multiplier unlocked. So you must live with X6.5

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Listen to ilker_eryilmaz about upgrading you memory. Also like he said you might want to buy CL/CAS 2 memory but run it at CL/CAS 3 instead to give it more time to finish each fill and empty cycle. (Will help componsate for the OC and stay in sequence with system clock.)

BTW: PC100 is 100MHz and therefore is 10ns. OC to 126MHz like you said would have been around 7.936ns.

Also listen to svol about not having your PCI bus out of wack with you FSB. Your Video card might not work with an OC AGP bus. So make sure that your card can handle the increase. AGP runs at 66.67MHz and if you increase the system as a whole by 1/3 it will be at 88.89MHz. I don't know if you can specify each bus speed independently on that board. Do you know if you can?

If your video card is PCI then you could still have the same problems interfacing with an OC PCI bus. PCI = 100/3 = 33.33MHz and OC by 1/3 it will be 44.44MHz.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

The BX chipset has a 1/4 divider for pci. But some motherboard makers did not impliment this in their bios settings.So most BX boards do have the 1/4 divider for pci.
Almost all Geforce2 gts and Radion cards can handle the 89 mhz agp speed.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's most likely your memory, get some PC133 Cas2 from Crucial, with FREE second day delivery! It's cheap!

It probably is NOT a video card problem, as Tom's test showed that most cards not capable of this speed simply won't POST, and any card that would POST seemed to work fine!

You might get away with using the 7.5ns PC100 if you set your memory to the slowest timings in BIOS (Cas 3-3-3, 7t/9t).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Read this http://www.msi.com.tw/products/mainboard/mainboard.php?model=MS-6163+V2.0
Is the 866 a slot 1 CPU or are you using socket 370 with a slot adapter? Not all slot adapters are created equal. If your using an adapter make sure you have one you can set the voltage and FSB manually with jumpers. And it must support Coppermine.
You do Need PC-133 RAM
I am able to run a 1 Gig/133 without any trouble with my Slotkit adapter by setting the voltage to 1.7 volts and 133 MHz FSB manually with the adapters jumpers.

Take it with you, be a MobileGamer :wink: