Case Cooling for a G-6 Gateway case

G

Soon I will be adding a Geforce2 TI card to my computer. I haven't experienced any heat problems before, But I am thinking that maybe the new card will raise the internal case air temp and give my CPU heat problems. The processor really has pretty lowsy heat control anyway (it has a sizable heat sink on it, but airflow is only provided by the power supply via a black plastic duct). Below is a link to a Pic with a red circle on the black duct. There are holes on the side of the case where the blue box is (I assume the theory is that air will flow in the holes and only across the processor). It's warmer than room temperature in the case now. I can get a internal air tempurature reading, but it will have to wait until morning, there isn't a sensor on the processor itself. The only place there can be a fan is circled in yellow. Do you think the cooling is sufficent assuming I don't overclock or anything like that? Or is an extra fan in the yellow circle and maybe a slot exhaust fan needed?

<A HREF="http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/sdf/b/u/burns11/G6-450_mc02.jpg" target="_new">http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/sdf/b/u/burns11/G6-450_mc02.jpg</A>

Thanks

P.S. a front fan could be put in, but I'd have to cut a hole for it and am not really looking forward to doing anything like that.

G

I have work on these PCs (not for gateway) and I have added graphics cards to them they do not warrant a cooling fan installed unless youre constantly overclocking the card(not something I recommend) also you may void any warranty you have if you modify the case if the card has a fan on it (of course its a TI) then I would just add the card and find a place to mount a fan, if you cant,leave the case open. JMHO

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you should be fine...
and there is usually a place to mount a fan on the back of the case.
no cutting required..and it wouldnt void the warranty...
it shouldnt
but the ti shouldnt raise the temps a noticeable ammount..
it will raise the case temps, but it shouldnt be that bad.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

The warranty has expired, so no worries there. I am also adding a CD-RW drive, wich will put off some heat as well.

Measuring air temperatures I got 28C (83F) inside the case and 25C (77F) room temp. Wasn't planning on overclocking anything.

There is a place, in the bak, to add a fan. I really don't think I would need it, but maybe I will buy one anyway. What's a couple bucks in the sheme of things?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Burns on 12/12/01 03:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, you should be fine without the fan, but hey, dropping the temps a few degrees couldnt hurt anything either.
and yeah, if your warranty is expired, then you shouldnt worry about customizing the hell out of that case!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

If putting one in the back you might as well put a fan in the front to even out pressure and increase airflow. A fan blowing air in through the front and one sucking it out through the back is the best, most fluid way to go. And since hot air rises, it would be best if a slot fan blew air and didn't suck it.