Intake fan dust filters

G

Although I never really looked at this section of the forums, I've noticed people look for dust filters. For a couple years now, I've been cutting filters out of left over carbon prefilters for an air purifier. My mother has a Honeywell purifier and the replacement prefilters are begger than what the filter needs. They let air flow through of them pretty well, but they trap probably 99% of the dust.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm...how much do those replacement filters cost, and would i be able to pick them up at say home depot?
because if i dont need it for an air purifier, then imagine how many filters i could make out of one!
heh.
and hell, if they are cheap, screw cleaning them, just toss them and cut another...
but then again, for me, since i dont have an air purifier, it might be more expensive than buying a regular filter, and cleaning it when it is dirty...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Yeah, you could make alot of filters out of one replacement. Cleaning the filters isn't really an option, if you let one go for too long on one of those purifiers, it clogs up pretty good (i'd say after 4-5 months).

You can pick one up just about anywhere that sells home appliances. I buy them at Meijer usualy, but that's for convenience. I want to say that they are about $10 for a pretty big sheet (I'd estimate it at 10"x36").

Would the stuff thats used for cooker extraction fans be good? Too heavy duty?

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

G

Do you mean like the metal grease filters on range hoods? I'm sure they would restrict air flow too much, those have heavier duty fans to pull air through. It would probably be overkill anyway. If you want as complete filtration as you could get, cutting a circle out of a disposable electrostatic filter would probobly be best (like the 3M Filtrete).

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've been making mine from the air conditioner filters I buy for my house from Home Depot. They are the Frost King brand of Polyurethane Foam air conditioner filter. I think it was about $4 USD. They are made from open cell foam. They do restrict the airflow a little, but it is a small price to pay not to worry about condensation on dust making mud on a PC board.
Good Luck, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Why not just try <A HREF="http://www.sidewindercomputers.com" target="_new">Sidewinder Computers</A> and pick up some of their fan filters?

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

G

Personally, I think what I use not only filters better, they look a whole lot nicer. Plus I don't have to pay for what I use and I don't have to clean them (dirty ones get tossed).

TRENDING THREADS