Remounting a Thermaltake Volcano7

G

Should I take any precations when remounting a Thermaltake Volvcano 7 on a XP1600+.
The reson was that the first Soltek SL-75DRV2 MOBO didn't support XP processors. I have only boot up a approx. 5 times of less that 15 sec.
The thermal tape has an imprint of the processor, should remove the thermal tape, leave it as it is or put a small drop of heat sink compound on top of the tape, before remounting the heatsink.

Any experiances or good advices

Thanks,

Klaus

G

Yes, remove that thermal tape carefully and completely with a good blade, remember every scratch on the HSF (Heat Sink Fan) base surface decreases its effectivness by some degree, clean both surfaces with acetone(nail polish remover) or rubbing alcohol.

Highly recommend using Artic SilverII thermal paste, only needs a rice grain size droplet on top of the cpu core itself then evenly spread it over the core ONLY using a clean credit card or aplicator. Don't get any on any other suface of the cpu as it is conductive.
Careful not to rock the HSF over the cpu core when installing the clip as this may crush a core.

Don't know your board but I assume you did check for a Bios update from Soltek?

Good luck!

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
AS2 isnt that conductive, but to be safe, you should ONLY put it on the core.
funny thing about the soltek mobos that "support" the xp, you can flash the bios, and if that doesnt work, then you send the board back to soltek to be "MODDED" to support the xp...
heh.
try flashing the bios first.
and yeah, scrape that thermal pad off, those things are made for people who wont be removing the heatsink, like in a dell, or gateway.
btw, where did you purchase the volcano7?
i cant find anyone selling them yet.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-