Shared fax client permissions

Scenario:

Windows XP SP2, connecting to a Shared fax service printer on a
windows 2000 printer. Printing to the shared fax is fine, no problems,
but when logged on to the XP unit as normal users, I cannot preview
the fax. The button is simply not there. However, when logging onto
the same unit as administrator, I can preview the fax before sending.
When I make the user part of the local admin gp, all is fine as well
(not really as I don't wan't normal users to be admins...)

I have played around with the permissions on the printer on local
machine, to no avail, so this leaves me with 2 options:

* either some registry key (local?) on which I have to set some
special permissions
* maybe something on the server side ito permissions?

I may add that we are using Office 2003, and the windows server is a
domain controller.

Any help appreciated!

Eugene
6 answers Last reply
More about shared client permissions

    You'll first need to clarify what fax server software and what client you
    are using.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Eugene van Rooyen" <evrng@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Scenario:
    >
    > Windows XP SP2, connecting to a Shared fax service printer on a
    > windows 2000 printer. Printing to the shared fax is fine, no problems,
    > but when logged on to the XP unit as normal users, I cannot preview
    > the fax. The button is simply not there. However, when logging onto
    > the same unit as administrator, I can preview the fax before sending.
    > When I make the user part of the local admin gp, all is fine as well
    > (not really as I don't wan't normal users to be admins...)
    >
    > I have played around with the permissions on the printer on local
    > machine, to no avail, so this leaves me with 2 options:
    >
    > * either some registry key (local?) on which I have to set some
    > special permissions
    > * maybe something on the server side ito permissions?
    >
    > I may add that we are using Office 2003, and the windows server is a
    > domain controller.
    >
    > Any help appreciated!
    >
    > Eugene

    Apologies for not being clear enough...

    The server runs Windows 2000 BackOffice server, and it is running
    vanilla Shared Fax Server from MS. As such the client is connecting to
    that printer/service via normal installation, of course no special
    software.

    Regards,

    Eugene

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<ei6GcpmpEHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > You'll first need to clarify what fax server software and what client you
    > are using.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Eugene van Rooyen" <evrng@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Scenario:
    > >
    > > Windows XP SP2, connecting to a Shared fax service printer on a
    > > windows 2000 printer. Printing to the shared fax is fine, no problems,
    > > but when logged on to the XP unit as normal users, I cannot preview
    > > the fax. The button is simply not there. However, when logging onto
    > > the same unit as administrator, I can preview the fax before sending.
    > > When I make the user part of the local admin gp, all is fine as well
    > > (not really as I don't wan't normal users to be admins...)
    > >
    > > I have played around with the permissions on the printer on local
    > > machine, to no avail, so this leaves me with 2 options:
    > >
    > > * either some registry key (local?) on which I have to set some
    > > special permissions
    > > * maybe something on the server side ito permissions?
    > >
    > > I may add that we are using Office 2003, and the windows server is a
    > > domain controller.
    > >
    > > Any help appreciated!
    > >
    > > Eugene

    Not familiar with any such product. This is a group to support Windows XP
    Fax. You claim that you need no client fax software installed? That seems
    unusual.
    --
    > Apologies for not being clear enough...
    >
    > The server runs Windows 2000 BackOffice server, and it is running
    > vanilla Shared Fax Server from MS. As such the client is connecting to
    > that printer/service via normal installation, of course no special
    > software.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eugene
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> You'll first need to clarify what fax server software and what client you
    >> are using.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Eugene van Rooyen" <evrng@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Scenario:
    >> >
    >> > Windows XP SP2, connecting to a Shared fax service printer on a
    >> > windows 2000 printer. Printing to the shared fax is fine, no problems,
    >> > but when logged on to the XP unit as normal users, I cannot preview
    >> > the fax. The button is simply not there. However, when logging onto
    >> > the same unit as administrator, I can preview the fax before sending.
    >> > When I make the user part of the local admin gp, all is fine as well
    >> > (not really as I don't wan't normal users to be admins...)
    >> >
    >> > I have played around with the permissions on the printer on local
    >> > machine, to no avail, so this leaves me with 2 options:
    >> >
    >> > * either some registry key (local?) on which I have to set some
    >> > special permissions
    >> > * maybe something on the server side ito permissions?
    >> >
    >> > I may add that we are using Office 2003, and the windows server is a
    >> > domain controller.
    >> >
    >> > Any help appreciated!
    >> >
    >> > Eugene

    Left this whole issue for a while, but I believe I have some more
    information on this:

    1) On Windows 2000 clients we used to connect to a Backoffice 2000
    server shared fax printer (i.e. \\server\sharedfax). We used the shared
    fax facility of BO 2000 server to fax from the desktop, from any
    application.
    2) We then upgraded the WS to XP Pro, and installed the fax printer in
    exactly the same way, by connecting to the shared fax queue on BO2000
    server. It worked well, except for the fact that as described in my
    first post, normal users cannot preview faxes at all.
    3) Now I have installed the FAX service on XP Pro, which gives access
    to the fax queue through the fax console, but then:

    * If I have a ws/notebook with a modem installed, I can fax from the
    console (it lets me choose between using the server fax queue and the
    modem.
    * However, If I choose to fax from within an application, and choose
    the "FaX", (note not the printer fax queue), I get no choice, and it
    defaults to the modem as a device. Is this by design?
    * Still have to test on a ws that has no modem, and even more
    importantly, whether a normal user can still do a preview.

    Any suggestions?

    Tx

    Eugene

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
    > Not familiar with any such product. This is a group to support
    Windows XP
    > Fax. You claim that you need no client fax software installed? That
    seems
    > unusual.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Eugene van Rooyen" <evrng@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Apologies for not being clear enough...
    > >
    > > The server runs Windows 2000 BackOffice server, and it is running
    > > vanilla Shared Fax Server from MS. As such the client is connecting
    > > that printer/service via normal installation, of course no special
    > > software.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Eugene
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> You'll first need to clarify what fax server software and what
    client you
    > >> are using.
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "Eugene van Rooyen" <evrng@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    Figured it out at last. Yes, preview for a normal user works fine if a
    cover page is not used...
    So I checked the permissions on the folder where the *.cov files are
    located:

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Microsoft\Shared
    Fax\CoverPages

    Everyone had only Read+List; I changed this to R+X, and suddenly all
    was fine.

    Thanks,

    Eugene

    If you want to print to a different fax printer choose the same when the
    print dialog comes up.

    For example, if you have a local fax modem as well as a connection to a
    shared fax printer you will see the following in you printers and faxes:

    Fax
    Fax on <fax server>

    To use the local fax modem, use "Fax"
    To use the shared fax server, select "Fax on <fax server>"

    Regarding preview, it should also work for a normal user. You only need to
    make sure you get the connection to the fax printer.

    --
    Archan Das

    purposes only.

Fax Permissions Windows XP