Network printing problem after SP2

I hope someone can help as I don't want to uninstall SP2,
but rather I want to fix the problem.

I am the IT Manager for my company. I created a restore
point and then installed SP2. I have 15 network printers
configured. This is because I travel between offices and
also print sometimes to the remote printers.

Following SP2 install, when I open the Printers folder,
some of the network printers never show "ready". They
show "opening" but never go to "ready". A ping to these
printers works fine, so it's not connectivity.

The spoolsv.eve service shows it's running and using CPU,
but not a lot (3% to 5%, but never more). I completely
turned off the SP2 firewall to see if that was the
problem. Still won't work.

This causes problems in every program when I try to print
to anything other than the default printer. I get an
error in Word that the printer list is unavailable, do I
want to wait or continue?

Any help for me? Otherwise, I guess I uninstall SP2 and
get back to what was normal for me.

Thanks in advance.
Cheryl
1 answer Last reply
More about network printing problem

    Update to my problem.

    I fixed it by removing all of the network printers and
    reconnecting to them via IP addresses instead of print
    server shares.

    Everything is working fine now. I was able to turn back
    on the firewall too.

Microsoft Printers Windows XP