Eh i upgraded my RAM to 8gbs but i cant even play cod 4 -_-

Zelasy

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
okay so I upgraded my RAM to 8gbs yesterday so i could play games better like cod 4 because i can only play 800x600 with bad textures and everything if i wanna play smoothly how ever i tweaked it bit so i could go a bit higher with normal textures but i only get around 50-60 FPS which is what i used to get with 4 gbs RAM why hasent it actually improved games? here is some of my pc specs

Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00gbs
System type: 64-bit
Hard Drive: 1TB (but i only have 118gbs left)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210

My dad says that if i reformat my computer will run better because when i first got it it could run cod 4 on the reccomended settings but now it cant even do half that so if i reformat my whole pc will it run games better?

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
+1 to new card! The RAM wouldn't be much of a help. Also, if you're running a 32 bit windows, it won't recognize/ utilize more than 3.5-4 gb of RAM as it will be restricted by the OS.

Definitely a better graphics card is required. If you're looking at continuing gaming at your current resolution, you won't even require an expensive GPU.

Zelasy

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
but its not just cod 4 and no it wasent running *fine* with 4gb i meant that i could hardly play play on anything above 800x600 si upgraded my RAM to get a little higher -_-, and anyone recommend a good card?:D

Zelasy

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Oh and no im not running a 32bit system :D

zrobbb

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

RAM would have no noticeable impact, anyway, lets help you get a new card, whats your budget and what PSU do you have?

Zelasy

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Well i could possibly go up to 80-100$ :D
and no clue do you know how i could find the Power supply?(PSU)

zrobbb

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

is this a prebuilt system? if so send me the link
if you built it yourself, take the cover of the case of and have a look? or look at the box

+1 to you need a new GPU and you need to know what power supply you have to know if you need a new one as well. Also I don't know if this is still the case but years ago (very late 90s ish) when your hard drive got around 85-90% full it would slow every thing down, I have no idea if this is still relevant now.

Alucard679

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Hard drives haven't made very many major improvements over the past couple of years. Except for ssd's. I wouldn't put it past a hard drive to start slowing down when it becomes more full. That's just more data it has to sort through. But then again the hard drive wouldn't be the cause of his problem. That would just be a difference in load times and opening up the game and such. We are essentially still on five year old hardware with the current hard drives we have right now.