Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Eh i upgraded my RAM to 8gbs but i cant even play cod 4 -_-

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 10, 2012 12:29:05 PM

okay so I upgraded my RAM to 8gbs yesterday so i could play games better like cod 4 because i can only play 800x600 with bad textures and everything if i wanna play smoothly how ever i tweaked it bit so i could go a bit higher with normal textures but i only get around 50-60 FPS which is what i used to get with 4 gbs RAM why hasent it actually improved games? here is some of my pc specs

Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00gbs
System type: 64-bit
Hard Drive: 1TB (but i only have 118gbs left)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210

My dad says that if i reformat my computer will run better because when i first got it it could run cod 4 on the reccomended settings but now it cant even do half that so if i reformat my whole pc will it run games better?
July 10, 2012 12:40:19 PM

Is there any reason you upgrade to 8gb if it was running okay with 4gb's?
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 12:40:57 PM

COD4 doesn't need more ram (2gb is all you need). It's your GT210 that is holding you back.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 10, 2012 12:42:34 PM

Yeah, I think it is time for a new card sir
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 12:47:21 PM

+1 to new card! The RAM wouldn't be much of a help. Also, if you're running a 32 bit windows, it won't recognize/ utilize more than 3.5-4 gb of RAM as it will be restricted by the OS.

Definitely a better graphics card is required. If you're looking at continuing gaming at your current resolution, you won't even require an expensive GPU.
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 12:53:01 PM

but its not just cod 4 and no it wasent running *fine* with 4gb i meant that i could hardly play play on anything above 800x600 si upgraded my RAM to get a little higher -_-, and anyone recommend a good card?:D 
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 12:53:51 PM

namelessonez said:
+1 to new card! The RAM wouldn't be much of a help. Also, if you're running a 32 bit windows, it won't recognize/ utilize more than 3.5-4 gb of RAM as it will be restricted by the OS.

Definitely a better graphics card is required. If you're looking at continuing gaming at your current resolution, you won't even require an expensive GPU.


Oh and no im not running a 32bit system :D 
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 12:58:26 PM

Zelasy said:
but its not just cod 4 and no it wasent running *fine* with 4gb i meant that i could hardly play play on anything above 800x600 si upgraded my RAM to get a little higher -_-, and anyone recommend a good card?:D 


RAM would have no noticeable impact, anyway, lets help you get a new card, whats your budget and what PSU do you have?
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 1:33:19 PM

zrobbb said:
RAM would have no noticeable impact, anyway, lets help you get a new card, whats your budget and what PSU do you have?


Well i could possibly go up to 80-100$ :D 
and no clue do you know how i could find the Power supply?(PSU)
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 1:38:53 PM

Zelasy said:
Well i could possibly go up to 80-100$ :D 
and no clue do you know how i could find the Power supply?(PSU)


is this a prebuilt system? if so send me the link
if you built it yourself, take the cover of the case of and have a look? or look at the box
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 3:41:30 PM

+1 to you need a new GPU and you need to know what power supply you have to know if you need a new one as well. Also I don't know if this is still the case but years ago (very late 90s ish) when your hard drive got around 85-90% full it would slow every thing down, I have no idea if this is still relevant now.
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 6:45:19 PM

simon12 said:
+1 to you need a new GPU and you need to know what power supply you have to know if you need a new one as well. Also I don't know if this is still the case but years ago (very late 90s ish) when your hard drive got around 85-90% full it would slow every thing down, I have no idea if this is still relevant now.


Hard drives haven't made very many major improvements over the past couple of years. Except for ssd's. I wouldn't put it past a hard drive to start slowing down when it becomes more full. That's just more data it has to sort through. But then again the hard drive wouldn't be the cause of his problem. That would just be a difference in load times and opening up the game and such. We are essentially still on five year old hardware with the current hard drives we have right now.
m
0
l
!