Max Payne 3 crashes my PC

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
I bought MP3 in early June and have played it for about 2,5 hours (yeah not very much, have to work) and it played very well. Now suddenly a few days back it's not working anymore. I can start up the game but when it showed me the Max Payne 3 screen where I hit Enter to continue, it went through. After that there's a few pics of Max loading and there it froze my PC. Nothing worked anymore and had to restart whole computer from reset button. I re-installed the game (to my C-drive, last time it was installed to drive E) and noticed there is update for my graphics card so I installed new driver for that, scanned computer for viruses and stuff what was listed around the web for fixes with crashes.

After installing it again I could get to the main menu already! Then I went to see my graphics settings aaand again! Freaking tired of this already and now when I finally has time to play this awesome game, it doesn't work... God I miss my old 360, never this kinda problems on consoles :D

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
Forgot to give my specs and won't let me edit the first message:

AMD Phenom II X4 970 @ ~3900 MHz + Cooler Master Hyper TX3 / ASUS M5A99X EVO / Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz / EVGA GeForce GTX550 Ti 1024Mt GDDR5 / Corsair 500W CX Builder /Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate Barracuda 500Gt @ 7200rpm + Western Digital 500Gt @ 5400rpm / Windows 7 x64

Max Payne is installed to the SSD.

aint it just amazing... pc gamers have no issues but as soon as a console gamer has to install an update the world ends...
360 updated its gfx drivers just as often as we do on pc but the difference is it comes in game patches. and the console did it all wthout your knowing or blessing. on pc your given the control and you dont want it... lol...
seriously next your gonna be shouting the xbox mantra. pc gaming is dead. as your xbox sits smoldering with the rrd...

get ccleaner. use it to unistall max payne and rockstar social club. use the reg cleaner in ccleaner to clean out all the rockstar entries for the game. reboot the pc...
if you downloaded the game check the downloads integrity if you have the disk then put it in the drive. and click setup.exe. remembering to run with admin privs.
follow the onscreen instructions. dont put it anywhere other than the default location and hit install...
when its finished log in and let it update. 1s done play the game...
if you have any issues after that its likely your pc has other issues. such as bad drivers that you havent updated since you installed the o.s. or some itunes/nokia crap chewing up all your resources. so check your device manager for errored drivers... also never update the gfx drivers via microsoft update. there always months out of date...
go to the nvidia site or guru3d if you want beta drivers.

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012

Wow, thanks for the long reply ;)

I've been a pc gamer since CS 1.6, just had a moment with Xbox 360 because all of my friends have it.

I've got CCleaner installed and will try your way of re-installing it. Just wondering why this started happening now since it worked fine for the first few weeks.

Drivers should be up to date, I don't have any iTunes/Nokia crap. Already done device manager couple of times.

And I downloaded gfx update directly from Nvidia site. Will get back to this thread on how does the re-install go.

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
By the way to your "xbox hating": I had my first 360 for three years and still no RROD. Then I bought Slim just because I ran out of space from my old one. And it looked cool :p I bought this new computer set-up in December and in May my PSU broke...

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
It says in my Control Panel that I have version 1.0.0.0 of the game. Does that mean the updates didn't install? The auto-patcher installed like 3 patches and it says I'm up to date now...

hahahaha... sorry dude every time i see sum1 say they came from xbox to pc and are sick of the pc breaking down i think fanbio its nothing personal just to many 360 owners are blind to the fact they are responsible for the poor state of gaming by accepting there console was shoddy and should have gotten refunds for the console and the games they couldn't play on them when they broke a second time.. instead a fair amount of them went on to get 3-4 and more replacements some even bought extras incase there consoles died. which in turn gave the games companies the excuse of no matter how poor we treat our customers they will keep coming back... 20 million xbox live payers... over 50 million consoles sold and over 30 million returned for repair. so forgive me if i dont take a minute to vent when i see an xbox owner complain that there console was so much less hassle compared to pc.

as for your psu breaking. if you bought the pc all in 1 prebuilt but added a gfx card its likely you got ripped off. it happens more than i would like to admit. they sell the bare bones and dont tell you the psu isnt strong enough to support the new upgrade in the hope you spend more money getting it repaired.

as for your game 1s its patched with the 3 patches it should show 1.03 ither on the exe or in game.
if you can get the game to start then its likely the patches have applied and the game should work properly... the lag is probably down to having the settings to high. start on medium and either increase em 1s you see 60 fps minimum or reduce them if your nowhere near 60. max 3 does need a meaty pc to play maxed out. but still looks pretty good at medium to med low. bset start by leaving post processing on but turning off msaa. post processing looks best at low as it doesnt over bleed as much as on high...

some tips. make sure you clean the registry and defragment regularly. make sure your microsoft update is enabled and working. keep your drivers up to date by visiting nvidia at least 1s every 2 months.

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah I understand :) I've read that defragment shouldn't be done to SSD drives (where MP3 is installed at the moment).

It still shouldn't be about my GTX550 because first few weeks the game worked so smoothly I haven't ever played anything that worked so fine :p

I don't know what have I done to my PC that made the game go bad. Maybe I should try reverting back to a previous state?

I've had the same setup all the time. Have had 500W PSU and it's more than enough for GTX550 :) and I believe Corsair is pretty good manufacturer?

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
I got it to work by doing a fresh install on latest Nvidia driver. Read from somewhere that Express install leaves tracks from old drivers.

Worked like a charm until I played for 2 minutes and accidentally failed the mission. After that Max Payne 3.exe has stopped working :/

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
I have tried every single tip on the internet, every compatibility mode and every drivers installed again, .NET frameworks installed again and it just won't work! The most furthest I've gotten is when I got to play for about 20 seconds the game with no lag and no issues, then froze. What I did was force my gfx fan to 60%, compatibility mode of Windows Server 2003 SP1, set affinity to only cores 0&1 from task manager (I have 4 cores), put the priority above normal and ran the Max Payne3.exe as administrator. Also I put my avast into gaming mode... What the hell could be still causing the game to freeze? I'm getting frustrated about this...

go into bios and make sure hpet(high precision event timer) is enabled and or set to 64 if you have win 7 64.
also do a scan with malware bytes and avira antivir... you may find you have some hidden nasties stopping the game working.

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
I will check the HPET when I get home from work. Do I need to do avira antivir check? I have avast Internet Security on my computer and it's been serving me fine with Free version for years and now I decided to buy the license for Internet Security :)

your rite its not listed there. my guess is asus have renamed it so they can claim it an exclusive feature... best get a support ticket off them to see if they have done so.
then again the boartd may support hpet out the gate although every other board i know of has the option to turn it off at the very least.

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
Submitted a ticket... It worked on my girlfriends laptop fine. And it's not about my game save because I started a new game and after the intro it froze to the menu... I've now submitted ticket for Asus AND Rockstar Games... waiting for reply :S

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
Asus support answered and they told me that HPET wouldn't probably make any difference in this situation. They also said that if it's happening only in Max Payne 3, they can't help me any further since it's not their product.

Still haven't got answer from R* support.

I ordered a GTX670 graphics card yesterday (not because of this problem) so I can also see if the issue is with the graphics card. I'll report back here when it arrives (should be Tuesday).

I was also thinking that could this be an issue with my SSD? I updated it's firmware but I already had my OS installed before the update so does that make any difference? Should I re-install Windows for the new 000F firmware?

Thanks for your fast and good replies already, HEXiT :)

kingkung

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I am having this exact same issue except i got to play a whole 5 minutes before it crashed and kept crashing on first load screen with pictures of max, I downloaded through steam. I tried everything, please update with any other fixes that work.

My Rig:
Asus P8Z77-V Pro mobo, 2x4 kingston hyper X blu 1600, agility 3 120gb SSD, 1 tb seagate barracuda 7200rpm HDD(with the game is installed on), Asus HD6870 1GB gpu. seasonic x750 80+Gold, Intel i5 3750K cpu with hyper 212+, OS: WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 bit.

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
I installed my Windows again and was hoping to get a fix but no. Still crashes after about 1 minute of playing... I'm starting to think that the SSD is the problem since it has frozen my OS a couple of times before..

Since you, kingkung, have also SSD on your rig, it is a possibility isn't it? Just too tired to try and unplug the SSD and install Windows to HDD again and like 10th time install Max Payne... I hope I get the GTX670 tomorrow so I can test the graphics card for the problem.

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012

Have you updated your bios up to date? I noticed that there's an update for P8Z77-V Pro which was released last month and it says "improves system stability" and "memory compatibility" http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8Z77-V+PRO&p=1&s=39

I just updated my bios and will try MP3 again now. If it won't work, I'll report with the GTX670 later today.

jappe66

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
It works now when I changed the graphics card GTX550->GTX670. Also updated bios yesterday to latest but I don't think it helped a lot. But you have better card than GTX550 so I'm not sure what could cause your problem :/ You could try updating your bios to latest at least :)