randomfellow

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hey all, I am thinking about upgrading my computer. I currently have a gateway DX4300-22 desktop. It has an AMD phenom II x4 810 2.6ghz processor and a ATI HD 5450 graphics card. I am planning to buy an AMD radeon 6950 2gb graphics card. I realize I need to upgrade my PSU to a one around 550-600.

Now, I realize that my processor will bottleneck my computer. However, I have only enough money for a PSU and graphics card update. I want to play the latest games (battlefield 3, GTA 4, Skyrim, Arkham city), at a resolution of 1600x900. I only have a Wii so I can’t play these games :(.

My other option is getting a PS3. I have never done a PC upgrade. Therefore I am stressed out that I will invest in all these expensive parts and in the end it won’t work in my PC due to size. So what do you guys think I should do?

Press to view specifications.
My computer
My]http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006272R/4006272Rsp2.shtml]My motherboard[/url]
Graphics Card planning to buy
PSU planning to buy

Solution
First things first, you can easily tell if the PSU will fit - most are the same size, the only real exception is when you get to the higher end ones (1000w) - but to be safe take the side panel off your pc and check it is not a custom or OEM unit - it shoukdnt be in a case the size you have. Usually SFF pc's have smaller units with less power.

Next up... the dimensions for the card you have chosen :-

Card Dimension (cm):25.60 x 11.12 x 3.81

so be sure you have space in your case before buying

Finally power requirements

Requirements

External Power - 6-Pins:2
Minimum Power Supply Requirement:500 Watt
XFX Recommended Power Supply:XFX 650W XXX edt PSU

obviously XFX will recomend their own PSU's, but Corsair IMO are a better brand

ulysses35

Distinguished
First things first, you can easily tell if the PSU will fit - most are the same size, the only real exception is when you get to the higher end ones (1000w) - but to be safe take the side panel off your pc and check it is not a custom or OEM unit - it shoukdnt be in a case the size you have. Usually SFF pc's have smaller units with less power.

Next up... the dimensions for the card you have chosen :-

Card Dimension (cm):25.60 x 11.12 x 3.81

so be sure you have space in your case before buying

Finally power requirements

Requirements

External Power - 6-Pins:2
Minimum Power Supply Requirement:500 Watt
XFX Recommended Power Supply:XFX 650W XXX edt PSU

obviously XFX will recomend their own PSU's, but Corsair IMO are a better brand

Solution