Celeron 400 on ASUS P3B-F

G

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING, HAGNING ONTO THAT DINOSAUR! Well, it's not me. It's my stepdad. I personally enjoy the services of my Athlon 1.2 GHz system, but that's off the topic.

You see, I'm new to overclocking, although I am by no means new to the world of Computer Maintenance/Repair/Upgrading. Therefore as the "in-house PC Tech", my stepdad obviously turns to me for system upgrade reccommendations. Since he really can't afford a new system (which he desparately needs by now), he wants me to overclock his current one.

Specs:
------
CPU: Intel Celeron 400 MHz
MoBo: ASUS P3B-F
RAM: 512 MB Mixed PC 100/133 (Although I've got a sneaky suspicion there may be some '66 still hanging around in there.)

So, anyone care to help me?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The board is a good one, if you have some budget of $170 then go for the Celeron 1.2 GHz on the Powerleap IP3T adapter and try to overclock it. If its a overkill (both in terms of cost and speed) then get a Celeron 800 as Crash says (see if your slotket adapter supports it, or you will have to do some compulsory overclocking and heavier cooling to reduce the effects of higher core voltage) and you will get a almost 2x faster system!

If you cannot, then clock the FSB to 75 MHz (CPU speed of 450 MHz) and see. Run the system for a hour or two and lok for any instability, temperatures going beyong 55°C or so. If not try 83 MHz FSB (500 MHz CPU core speed) and check for the same. If the temperature is high and you are experiencing lockups either 1. upgrade your cooler or 2. switch the FSB back to 75 and ask your dad if its enough.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

A 1.2 GHz on the P3B-F?!?! I can't even find jumper settings for anything higher than 600 MHz!!! What exactly is this "Powerleap IP3T adapter"?

Oh, and as far as cooling goes: The heatsink/fan he's using right now was designed for an Athlon T-Bird, running at speeds up to 1.6 GHz... think that's enough? I don't think he has any case fans, though. He <i>might</i> have one case fan, now that I think of it... but it's been awhile since I've actually been inside that case.

There is no spoon!

G

Another Note: The processor is a Socket 370 running on an adapter to the Slot 1 interface on the motherboard. There are jumpers on the adapter. Could this be interfering with my attempts to set frequencies and multipliers via the BIOS menus? (MoBo is in Jumper-Free mode.)

There is no spoon!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What, won't it take the 75 FSB speed? Your slotket card should have some jumper setting that is jumper free and allow you to set the FSB in BIOS. I've used this combo before and 75 is about all you can get since at 83 MHz. FSB speed I often got some stability problems with some of the other peripherials. Unfortunately, this chip will not do the 100 MHz. FSB speed that brings everything back into balance.

What you SHOULD do is go get one of the faster Celeron II's that are dirt cheap now-a-days. I know the 850 runs nice in that board... not sure about those 1.2 GHz. things though... You don't have to worry about jumpers or settings because these CPU's are multiplier locked and all the new Celeron's will simply take off from the 100 MHz FSB and away you go. Make sure you have the latest BIOS.

Oh, and one more thing, you'll need to get a new Sloket adapter for the CuMine chip (Celeron II). Your current 400 MHz. chip is the older design and those slot adapters won't work with the new CuMine chips.

Good Luck!

Scout

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Asus P3B-F was quite possibly one of the top 10 (desktop) motherboards ever made.

PowerLeap makes slockets (little cards that allow you to run FC-PGA processors in SECC2 motherboards). They have a great deal on a Celeron-1200 and slocket that would run in that motherboard for US$169. This would make it roughly as fast as a P4-1400.

You don't have to set any jumpers for intel CPUs, they have locked multipliers so it doesn't make any difference. All you have to do is set the FSB.

- JW