Sign in with
Your question

Digitally Downloaded vs Disc Games

Last response: in Video Games
July 10, 2012 10:33:29 PM

DIGITALLY-
If i buy a game digitally through services like Steam, if my computer fails and i have to do a full reinstall, will i be able to download games that i have already bought or will i need to pay for them again?- therefore disc game wins?
And map packs, where would you get them and how do they work-downloading, adding to the game, and getting it back again if incase computer fails or deleted it?
Because in xbox, you have an account, go to store and search the game, there you'll things for sale like map packs and if ticked- you've bought it before therefore you can download it again without additional cost.

DISC-
If i buy a game in disc through game shops, i understand i will need to install it. After installation if i want to play the game, will i need to insert the disc everytime i want to play or not?
And map packs, where would you get them and how do they work-downloading, adding to the game, and getting it back again if incase computer fails or deleted it?

Thanks in advanced
July 10, 2012 11:34:07 PM

Personally i prefer a disc but i am little old fashioned. Another reason i perfer a disk is that if i have to format my computer for any reason i don't have to waste internet redownloading the game i just pop the disk in. If you have good bandwidth and unlimited internet this would not be an issue though.
m
l
July 10, 2012 11:44:15 PM

If you get a game on steam and need to replace your PC or hard drive just download steam login and you can download all your games again. If you buy a steam game on disc you can do exactly the same even if you loose the disc.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2012 12:51:37 AM

As long as you have registered the key on your account, itll work fine. I prefer disks so I don't have to download at my crappy 1.5 mbit a second connection, but still.
m
l
July 11, 2012 7:56:41 AM

Thank you all for your current replies.

So on a disc, i install and to be able to play- will i need to insert the disc everytime?
And map packs- purchasing, downloading and redeeming? Any thoughts?
m
l
July 11, 2012 8:56:09 AM

The only time I'll buy physical copies is if there is a cool collectors edition or its cheaper and can be activated on Steam or similar.
Its just a lot easier to manage, store and saves time driving to the store or waiting for delivery.
m
l
July 11, 2012 9:23:03 AM

I prefer digital, I am realy good at loosing CD keys
m
l
July 11, 2012 12:28:52 PM

I prefer to purchase digitally because its easier, I usually don't have to wait a few days for my games to arrive, and I don't have a huge lot of space in my room to fit in a whole bunch of CD Cases.

For Map-Packs, I'm sure if you purchase it, you will be able to download it any time you want again. I know for something like CoD Map Packs, all you do is find it in the DLC tab of your game in Steam and download it from there. For something like BF3, its automatically downloaded when you purchase it.

m
l
July 13, 2012 11:12:30 PM

i prefer disc, as my download' are slow, but the main problem is my 40gb download limit, will change to plusnet soon for 60gb, i live in the sticks
m
l
July 14, 2012 9:47:19 PM

I prefer physical discs to digital downloads. Downloads will take time depending on your internet speed and the size of the download.

Physical discs offers much quicker installs, however, the disc needs to be in the DVD drive. Accounts for digital downloads can be hacked and personal information stolen. This has happened in the past, but the risk seems relatively low.

m
l
July 15, 2012 3:47:53 AM

I like physical copies of games because i do like to have a shelf of games to look over, but do not have any problem buying games digitally. Digital copies do have there advantages and sometimes they're hard to pass up whenever services such as steam have sales that make purchasing the game inevitable.
m
l
July 17, 2012 9:23:56 PM

jaguarskx said:
...the disc needs to be in the DVD drive.

The disc needs to be in the DVD Drive to play that game if physically disc bought?

m
l
July 18, 2012 2:10:48 PM

wrenaudrey said:
The disc needs to be in the DVD Drive to play that game if physically disc bought?

in most cases now, no. a lot of older games, yes. i think the main reason they are going away from always having the disc in is because there are a lot of digital downloads of games that dont require the disc in the drive to play, plus it makes it more convenient for the end-user.

I personally like digital downloads, i have unlimited bandwidth and decently fast downloads. The only discs i have that i use are diagnostic discs and OS installs, and a couple oldies on a spindle that ill go through once and a while.

I also dont have a lot of room in my home having only my living room to fit my computer, 7 game consoles, TV, sitting area and table, 12'x12' room. so along side all my other games and movies i cant afford to waste more room.

also i lose stuff a lot, and its just easier for me to have all my games in a list on steam where i can just download a game i want to play.

i think personally if the computer wipes or you have to re-install, its not much of a big issue, for me anyway. I just install the games i want to play at that time, or i will just run a bunch of games to download before i go to bed so the majority of the games i will normally play are ready overnight.

but i guess its all preference on what you got to work with.
m
l
February 17, 2013 8:20:44 PM

I am curious of which is better: downloading for me isn't a problem as I have fairly fast and unlimited internet. Discs seem to be slightly cheaper, but obviously both have advantages and disadvantages. Hard-drive space won't be a problem, but I'm thinking of going with a disc, for the price? Unless anyone has any definitive arguments against them? I'm new to PC gaming, but do have a good PC. Any help would be appreciated!
m
l
March 4, 2013 11:23:40 AM

Just thought its worth pointing out - you can copy the data for a steam game from Program files\steam\steamapps\common (inside will be a subfolder named after the game, obviously) from one pc to another - i do this all the time, when rebuilding pc (restore from backup) or sometimes download on my laptop, then copy to gaming rig.

After copying the directory to the same location on destination pc, choose install (wont work properly if you have already initiated install). Steam install message box will mention that it is "discovering existing files" or something of that nature - then, after a few seconds, your game is ready to play, assuming there are on updates needed. I have even given copies of these files to a friend who owned the same games.

A neat little trick, saves time, and allows for backup.
m
l
March 4, 2013 1:23:48 PM

I'll go for disc if its a nice collector's edition - that activates on Steam.

Disc doesnt give you much added security, since most PC games use some sort of first-run activation now.

Generally the only argument for discs over digital now, is if you've got a slow or bandwidth capped connection.
m
l
July 9, 2013 10:01:43 PM

JJ1217 said:
As long as you have registered the key on your account, itll work fine. I prefer disks so I don't have to download at my crappy 1.5 mbit a second connection, but still.

m
l
July 9, 2013 10:04:08 PM

Disks are better. I try and get disks as much as i can. I still download a lot with steam ,but when you have at best a 100 kb per sec connection in the country the one to two day download sessions can get really old really quick.
m
l
!