Original DDR Motherboard by VIA vs. Intel

G

Original DDR Motherboard by VIA vs. Intel

I am genuinely concerned about the cost-effectiveness and system stability (i.e. no needs for re- boot in at least 2 or 3 days) for a new P4 system which might be stayed with me for the next 3-5 years.

Basically, I am an ordinary end-user for surfing the net, using MS office and playing flight simulator after work. Would any experience person advise me if there are real difference (can be felt by "naked eye" rather than numerical benchmarks) of a P4 system for using SIMM, DDR and Rambus just for the above-mentioned purposes at home???

By the way, any advise on VIA P4X266 PE11-L against Intel D845BG i845-D (already available in retail market) motherboard?
VIA offers 3 Nos. DDR slot, but Intel offers 2 only. At present, DDR memory still seems expensive, especially the 512Mb modus. I tend to choose VIA because it has more DDR memory slot for later expansion. My only concern is whether VIA motherboard offers same level of stability as Intel motherboard?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Regards,

Brian Ho

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
for intel chips, you cant beat using an intel chipset for stability/compatibility.
but sis is making some good stuff, you might want to look into their offerings for the p4.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First of all, If you're rebooting more then once a month because of a system crash I wouldn't consider it a stable system. Imagine if your car broke down every 2 or 3 days. For that matter imagine it broke down once a month. Or even every three months.

If you're worried about stability, get an intel chipset. In the big picture they are not that much more expensive anyways.

If all you want if to use MS Office, explore the net, and play MS Flight Sim consider a Celeron-1200 on an i815 based board such as the Asus TUSL-C (or even on an i440BX board with a slocket). For what you want to do it'll run as fast as a P4 1.4~1.6GHz for considerably less money.

US$125 Celron-1200
US$100 Asus TUSL-C
US$60 512mb PC133
------
US$250 Total for Celeron-1200 system

US$150 P4-1600
US$140 Intel D845BG
US$115 512mb PC2100
------
US$405 Total for P4-1600 system

Just a thought,
- JW

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, everything is FASTER than the SDR i845, but only the i850 is more stable, to my knowledge. But the i845-D is only a little slower than the VIA solution, and unless Intel made a drastic design flaw, far more stable. I'd still go with the i850 over the i845-D right now, don't know what revisions will bring.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?