Caster's Realm: The Importance of Dynamic Events

Our world lives. Our wold breathes. We see it grow. We see it change.
We watch the world move on.

Last week the elves lost the outpost of Firiona Vie to the forces of
Lanys T'Vyl. Armies of elves, erudites, and the adventurers of Norrath
battled against the hoards of evil in the form of dark elves and the
demons of Hate. The outpost fell under the crushing fists of Lanys's
ethereal titan, a golem of great mass and ancient age. A day later, the
face of Norrath had changed.

Dynamic events set massive online games apart from most static
roleplaying games. Moreso than any other feature, these events show
players that the world they roam in isn't simply a static game with a
single direction, but a living breathing world; a world where anything
can happen.

Bloody Kithicor was the first time such an event changed the world I
roamed in. The once-safe forest of Kithicor at night became a torn land
of powerful undead armies. No longer would travelers use the roads at
night, choosing to run the outskirts of the mountains instead or wait
until the safety of sunlight sent the dead back into their dark pits.

The fall of Grobb again changed Norrath. Grobb, the home of the trolls,
became Gukta, the home of the Guktan froglok. Many a troll adventurer
still holds a bitter heart for the loss of their home.

Dynamic events offer nearly unlimited benefits and advantages to an
otherwise static game. Moreso than most large-scale battles, dynamic
events have the opportunity to have Lord of the Rings style wars with
hundreds of NPCs against hundreds of players. The Dreadlands feels like
a warzone. Armies smash against each other, swordsman cut into hoards
of evildoers, for an evening, a zone we all know well becomes a whole
new place.

Dynamic events help tie the story together. Following the writer's
motto of "show, don't tell", dynamic events let us build our own
stories and our own tales of past battles. We all saw or heard
something different the night the armies of T'Vyl took the Outpost of
Firiona Vie. The more opportunities we have to create our own detailed
stories surrounding the large shifts in Norrath's struggle, the better.

Dynamic events help tie expansions to the old world. The fall of Grobb
helped tie Ykesha to our own world. The recent Dreadlands war helps tie
next week's new expansion to our existing storyline. The building of
Queen of Thorns in Nedaria's Landing showed us the progress of the
building of Mordin Rasp's dark boat over a period of a couple of
months. These dynamic events help bridge our world into the newer lands
we see twice a year.

Dynamic events are often spoiler free. Few knew how the Dreadlands war
was going to go. No one knew how to defeat Lanys's dracolich. There
wasn't time to post a spoiler on a website and by the time one was
online, the dracoliche was already dead. The more our world changes,
the less likely we are to rely on out-of-game information to guide us.
>From an element of surprise and challenge, this is a good improvement.

There are a few things SOE can do to improve dynamic events. Existing
guides could be given scripts to follow, events to run on each server
that help fill in spots of a much larger storyline. Vampires attacking
Felwithe foreshadow the changes in Mistmoore. A new Gnoll general asks
for help in reclaiming paw from the elemental horrors inside. The same
resources used for events such as riddle sessions and Greater Faydark
rescue missions can instead be used for plot-driving events of the same
caliber and scope.

Beyond that, the only advice we can give is "more events". Events like
the recent fall of Firiona Vie show how powerful these events can be
and how well players respond to them. Events like this help keep
Norrath constantly moving and shifting. It brings older players back to
see new changes and shows new players a dynamic and evolving game.

A strategy and schedule for regular zone revamps also help keep
Everquest shifting and evolving. While such a suggestion falls into the
category of "more better work faster please", a system to efficiently
revamp zones keeps the world continually fresh. These revamps, tied to
the dynamic events that open them, build Norrath even further into a
living breathing world. They can help tie the story together and give
new and older places more exciting and updated content to explore.

Dynamic events show us how Norrath builds and grows. Every time we log
in, we may have a new land to explore. Dynamic events are one of the
most important traits of a massive online game. Dynamic events breathe
life into an often static world.

Loral Ciriclight
loral@loralciriclight.com

Xiphos

Mike Shea wrote:
> Our world lives. Our wold breathes. We see it grow. We see it change.
> We watch the world move on.

And there's not a darned thing we can do as players to affect the
outcome.
Which is really my only real problem with these events; they ARE
scripted, and as such really not all that dynamic. Dynamic would mean
that on some servers, the forces of Lanys WERE fought back, others they
were not, and perhaps on others still, both sides were destroyed, or
any number of other outcomes.

No, it's still static, as static as any prescripted play; perhaps more
dynamic than say a DVD, but about as much leeway in changing the
predetermined outcome as Rosencratz and Gildenstern have of not
swinging on the gallows at the end of Hamlet. The end result is set,
unchangable, and while the details of the play may change as an actor
flubs his lines, the end results are always the same.

The only area the dynamics exist in is the story writers. But that
story is static from the readers point of view, even if the books are
still being written. The protion the reader sees has still been
pre-written, and is still static. Even if one were the first person in
the world to get a copy of a brand new book in some series, that story
is NOT dynamic; it doesn't change with subsequent readings
(Choose-Your-Own Adventures are still static: read it from cover to
cover, and the text still doesn't change). And that is exactly what
we're getting: installments of a story that is in the process of being
written. Dynamic for them, perhaps, not for us. We're just spectators
who are allowed to stand on-stage and push the actors around a little.

Don't get me wrong, I like how they have these mass events that do
change the environment. But calling it dynamic? That is just not
true, at least not from the players perspective.

When I, as a player, can permanently change an aspect of the game, or
can contribute to changing the scripted outcome of such events, THAT is
when I'll call it dynamic.
--
Xiphos - *flip* Heads *flip* heads *flip* heads *flip* heads *flip*
heads *flip* heads *flip* heads...

"Mike Shea" <mshea01@gmail.com> wrote in

> Our world lives. Our wold breathes. We see it grow. We see it change.
> We watch the world move on.

< snip >

> Dynamic events show us how Norrath builds and grows. Every time we log
> in, we may have a new land to explore. Dynamic events are one of the
> most important traits of a massive online game. Dynamic events breathe
> life into an often static world.
>
> Loral Ciriclight
> loral@loralciriclight.com

I think now is the perfect time for SoE to implement this new approach to
EQ. They have established a vast world with extensive storylines that is
tailor-made to live server events. I think it would breathe new life into
EQ.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

Xiphos

Rumbledor wrote:
> "Xiphos" <xiphos@rahul.net> wrote some stuff about "Static vs
Dynamic"

> True, I suppose. However, "changing" is at least a step toward
"dynamic",
> so I applaud it just the same.

Oh absolutely, I think it's great that the game is being treated as an
unfinished story. I'm just dubious about the use of the word "dynamic."
--
Xiphos - Now, if I can grab a bunch of people and go found a new town,
or start digging out my own cavernous mine/dungeon...

In article <1114096037.681475.316980@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Mike Shea <mshea01@gmail.com> wrote:
>Last week the elves lost the outpost of Firiona Vie

What, again? :) :) :)

the wharf rat wrote:
> In article <1114096037.681475.316980@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> Mike Shea <mshea01@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Last week the elves lost the outpost of Firiona Vie
>

> What, again? :) :) :)

What can I say, we choose the wrong moments to take a nap.

--
Michael Greenhalgh
http://tripleb.co.uk

EverQuest 2:
Miglok Skreefyre of Venril Sathir, Hunter of Gnolls | Half-Elf Ranger |
Lavastorm
Rayd | Dwarf Summoner | Lavastorm

Loony Goon Circus Guild | http://www.loonygooncircus.com |
http://lgc.eq2guilds.org

City of Heroes:
Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue

---

"Xiphos" <xiphos@rahul.net> wrote in

> Mike Shea wrote:
>> Our world lives. Our wold breathes. We see it grow. We see it change.
>> We watch the world move on.
>
> And there's not a darned thing we can do as players to affect the
> outcome.
> Which is really my only real problem with these events; they ARE
> scripted, and as such really not all that dynamic. Dynamic would mean
> that on some servers, the forces of Lanys WERE fought back, others
> they were not, and perhaps on others still, both sides were destroyed,
> or any number of other outcomes.
>
> No, it's still static, as static as any prescripted play; perhaps more
> dynamic than say a DVD, but about as much leeway in changing the
> predetermined outcome as Rosencratz and Gildenstern have of not
> swinging on the gallows at the end of Hamlet. The end result is set,
> unchangable, and while the details of the play may change as an actor
> flubs his lines, the end results are always the same.

True, I suppose. However, "changing" is at least a step toward "dynamic",
so I applaud it just the same.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <Xns963F77E831E19Rumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.199.17>,
Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
> "Mike Shea" <mshea01@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Our world lives. Our wold breathes. We see it grow. We see it change.
> > We watch the world move on.
> >
> < snip >
> >
> > Dynamic events show us how Norrath builds and grows. Every time we log
> > in, we may have a new land to explore. Dynamic events are one of the
> > most important traits of a massive online game. Dynamic events breathe
> > life into an often static world.
> >
> > Loral Ciriclight
> > loral@loralciriclight.com
> >

> I think now is the perfect time for SoE to implement this new approach to
> EQ. They have established a vast world with extensive storylines that is
> tailor-made to live server events. I think it would breathe new life into
> EQ.

And for only $5.00 you too can be part of this months special adventure
event pack... ;)

> When I, as a player, can permanently change an aspect of the game, or
> can contribute to changing the scripted outcome of such events, THAT
is
> when I'll call it dynamic.
> --
> Xiphos - *flip* Heads *flip* heads *flip* heads *flip* heads *flip*
> heads *flip* heads *flip* heads...

When i first went to Fironia Vie, I was thinking, gee the elves are
building a new city, thats nice. 1 year later, the city hadn't
changed..all the construction material was still in place and no new
buildings were put up. Part of the dynamics could be sublte changes
like that..new buildings, walls, tunnels etc. Lets say they want to
build a new tunnel. A bunch of NPCs have the job of digging out the
dirt and moving it. player can help dig or help move, get some plat or
experience and participate in the new project. If its a construction
project, a right click on a brick would should who placed it there.

Or mob related - if all the spiders in FV got wiped out, it would take
a quest from mistmoore (carry an egg or something) to respawn them.

I thought i heard of a zone where bands of NPC would periodically fight
over a piece of turf (a few expansions ago) but the players had a hand
in determining which side would win. Anyone recall that?

Xiphos

zigipha@hotmail.com writes:

> > I thought i heard of a zone where bands of NPC would periodically
fight
> > over a piece of turf (a few expansions ago) but the players had a
hand
> > in determining which side would win. Anyone recall that?
>
> Hollowshade Moor. Sonic wolves vs. owlbears vs. grimlings.

I love that zone, that event is really a lot of fun to participate in
and a lot more dynamic than anything else in the game I've encountered.
I often wonder why there aren't more areas in the game like
Hollowshade.
--
Xiphos - I also wonder why we still have zoning, but that's completely
unrelated

In <1114182797.263040.78910@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> zigipha@hotmail.com writes:

> I thought i heard of a zone where bands of NPC would periodically fight
> over a piece of turf (a few expansions ago) but the players had a hand
> in determining which side would win. Anyone recall that?

Hollowshade Moor. Sonic wolves vs. owlbears vs. grimlings.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

zigipha@hotmail.com wrote in news:1114182797.263040.78910
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

>> When I, as a player, can permanently change an aspect of the game, or
>> can contribute to changing the scripted outcome of such events, THAT
> is
>> when I'll call it dynamic.
>> --
>> Xiphos - *flip* Heads *flip* heads *flip* heads *flip* heads *flip*
>> heads *flip* heads *flip* heads...
>
> When i first went to Fironia Vie, I was thinking, gee the elves are
> building a new city, thats nice. 1 year later, the city hadn't
> changed..all the construction material was still in place and no new
> buildings were put up. Part of the dynamics could be sublte changes
> like that..new buildings, walls, tunnels etc. Lets say they want to
> build a new tunnel. A bunch of NPCs have the job of digging out the
> dirt and moving it. player can help dig or help move, get some plat or
> experience and participate in the new project. If its a construction
> project, a right click on a brick would should who placed it there.

You've just about described Horizons' crafting system as it related to game
world events to a "T". They just fell short on vision and implementation
ideas.

> Or mob related - if all the spiders in FV got wiped out, it would take
> a quest from mistmoore (carry an egg or something) to respawn them.
>
> I thought i heard of a zone where bands of NPC would periodically fight
> over a piece of turf (a few expansions ago) but the players had a hand
> in determining which side would win. Anyone recall that?

Something about the ring wars? Giants vs. the Coldains? I'm not familiar
with the particulars. There is also some kind of similar skirmish on Luclin
between the sonic wolves and something else, IIRC.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in

> zigipha@hotmail.com wrote in news:1114182797.263040.78910
> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>

>>> When I, as a player, can permanently change an aspect of the game,
>>> or can contribute to changing the scripted outcome of such events,
>>> THAT is when I'll call it dynamic.
>>> --
>>> Xiphos - *flip* Heads *flip* heads *flip* heads *flip* heads *flip*
>>> heads *flip* heads *flip* heads...
>>
>> When i first went to Fironia Vie, I was thinking, gee the elves are
>> building a new city, thats nice. 1 year later, the city hadn't
>> changed..all the construction material was still in place and no new
>> buildings were put up. Part of the dynamics could be sublte changes
>> like that..new buildings, walls, tunnels etc. Lets say they want to
>> build a new tunnel. A bunch of NPCs have the job of digging out the
>> dirt and moving it. player can help dig or help move, get some plat
>> or experience and participate in the new project. If its a
>> construction project, a right click on a brick would should who
>> placed it there.
>
> You've just about described Horizons' crafting system as it related to
> game world events to a "T". They just fell short on vision and
> implementation ideas.
>
>> Or mob related - if all the spiders in FV got wiped out, it would
>> take a quest from mistmoore (carry an egg or something) to respawn
>> them.
>>
>> I thought i heard of a zone where bands of NPC would periodically
>> fight over a piece of turf (a few expansions ago) but the players had
>> a hand in determining which side would win. Anyone recall that?
>
> Something about the ring wars? Giants vs. the Coldains? I'm not
> familiar with the particulars. There is also some kind of similar
> skirmish on Luclin between the sonic wolves and something else, IIRC.

Yeah, if the ring war is lost, then Thurgadin is changed for a few days.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:40:59 GMT, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

>zigipha@hotmail.com wrote in news:1114182797.263040.78910
>@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

>> I thought i heard of a zone where bands of NPC would periodically fight
>> over a piece of turf (a few expansions ago) but the players had a hand
>> in determining which side would win. Anyone recall that?
>
>Something about the ring wars? Giants vs. the Coldains? I'm not familiar
>with the particulars. There is also some kind of similar skirmish on Luclin
>between the sonic wolves and something else, IIRC.

I don't know if it was the "ring war" but I was part of a triggered
event that tried to defend Thurg from an invasion of Giants. Had
various waves of Giants coming from various directions. Unfortunately
one or two broke thru off the last wave and got into Thurg and killed
whoever we were supposed to defend, so we lost. But was great fun and
actually required some skill and group coordination instead of just
zerging a boss mob.

murdocj wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:40:59 GMT, Rumbledor
> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
>

>>zigipha@hotmail.com wrote in news:1114182797.263040.78910
>>@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>

>>>I thought i heard of a zone where bands of NPC would periodically fight
>>>over a piece of turf (a few expansions ago) but the players had a hand
>>>in determining which side would win. Anyone recall that?
>>
>>Something about the ring wars? Giants vs. the Coldains? I'm not familiar
>>with the particulars. There is also some kind of similar skirmish on Luclin
>>between the sonic wolves and something else, IIRC.
>

> I don't know if it was the "ring war" but I was part of a triggered
> event that tried to defend Thurg from an invasion of Giants. Had
> various waves of Giants coming from various directions. Unfortunately
> one or two broke thru off the last wave and got into Thurg and killed
> whoever we were supposed to defend, so we lost. But was great fun and
> actually required some skill and group coordination instead of just
> zerging a boss mob.

Yes, that's the Ring War. Fun. I just did my first one a couple of
weeks ago....

Tracey

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:40:59 GMT, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

>> I thought i heard of a zone where bands of NPC would periodically fight
>> over a piece of turf (a few expansions ago) but the players had a hand
>> in determining which side would win. Anyone recall that?
>
>Something about the ring wars? Giants vs. the Coldains? I'm not familiar
>with the particulars. There is also some kind of similar skirmish on Luclin
>between the sonic wolves and something else, IIRC.

Sounds like Hollowshade (was it? Just outside Shar Vhal, opposite side
from Shadeweaver's) on Luclin. It was 3 way: Owlbears, Sonic Wolves,
and Grimalkins (Think that's what they were called. The little
humanoid guys. Looked like dirty midgets. >< ). By killing the leader
of whatever group was in charge, one of the others would take over, if
memory serves. The group that had dominence would be the primary group
to spawn until their leader was taken out.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

"murdocj" <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:40:59 GMT, Rumbledor
> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
>
> >zigipha@hotmail.com wrote in news:1114182797.263040.78910
> >@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> >> I thought i heard of a zone where bands of NPC would periodically fight
> >> over a piece of turf (a few expansions ago) but the players had a hand
> >> in determining which side would win. Anyone recall that?
> >
> >Something about the ring wars? Giants vs. the Coldains? I'm not familiar
> >with the particulars. There is also some kind of similar skirmish on
Luclin
> >between the sonic wolves and something else, IIRC.
>
> I don't know if it was the "ring war" but I was part of a triggered
> event that tried to defend Thurg from an invasion of Giants. Had
> various waves of Giants coming from various directions. Unfortunately
> one or two broke thru off the last wave and got into Thurg and killed
> whoever we were supposed to defend, so we lost. But was great fun and
> actually required some skill and group coordination instead of just
> zerging a boss mob.

I remember being told that a good way to improve faction quickly was to heal
someone who was involved in this. That's when i discovered about mobs that
summon...

it was fun tho!

It would be nice if there was an ingame tool for casual raiders that ppl
could access to arrange a raid (including a counter saying "starts in 90
minutes... 89... 88"), describe it, and fix in advance how the loot would be
distributed (like autoloot in eq2 without clicky boxes so it's fast). If
people aren't autolooting perhaps a point system could be used like in ldon,
so casuals still have a chance of buying better than normal gear if they go
on raids?

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> writes:
> Sounds like Hollowshade on Luclin. It was 3 way: Owlbears, Sonic Wolves,
> and Grimalkins (Think that's what they were called. The little
> humanoid guys. Looked like dirty midgets. >< ).

Grimlings.

> By killing the leader of whatever group was in charge, one of the others
> would take over, if memory serves. The group that had dominence would be
> the primary group to spawn until their leader was taken out.

It's more complex than that, actually. And pretty neat to tweak
around with, too. I *think* this is how it works:

Each of the three groups starts out owning a different part of the zone.
Every once in a while one of them sends a bunch of special mobs to attack
another group, which spawns a set of special defending mobs. The
defenders always win, unless players go in and tip the balance.

Once players help an attack succeed, one group is wiped out of the zone.
Then the group that controls only 1/3 of the zone periodically attacks
one of the two places that the other group holds, only now the attacker
always wins. So which group it is that controls 2/3 will change, but
only back and forth between the two groups still present.

I'm not sure how you get a group to control all three locations -- maybe
just make sure the attacker fails? But once that happens, not only does
that group stay in control of all three mob areas, they also take over
the Shar Vahl outpost; the guards and merchants run away and hide.
That's when you have to kill the leader to reset the zone.

What this usually meant for me was that if I went there to hunt grimlings
for acrylia (with a character who could also get xp while doing it),
some high level tradeskiller would turn up and make the zone be filled
with owlbears so he could farm something or other. :)

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 53 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Teviron, Knight 13 on E. Marr

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <7wfyxgtz17.fsf@ca.icynic.com>, don-ns@iCynic.com says...
> Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> writes:
> > Sounds like Hollowshade on Luclin. It was 3 way: Owlbears, Sonic Wolves,
> > and Grimalkins (Think that's what they were called. The little
> > humanoid guys. Looked like dirty midgets. >< ).
>
> Grimlings.
>
> > By killing the leader of whatever group was in charge, one of the others
> > would take over, if memory serves. The group that had dominence would be
> > the primary group to spawn until their leader was taken out.
>
> It's more complex than that, actually. And pretty neat to tweak
> around with, too. I *think* this is how it works:
>
> Each of the three groups starts out owning a different part of the zone.
> Every once in a while one of them sends a bunch of special mobs to attack
> another group, which spawns a set of special defending mobs. The
> defenders always win, unless players go in and tip the balance.
>
> Once players help an attack succeed, one group is wiped out of the zone.
> Then the group that controls only 1/3 of the zone periodically attacks
> one of the two places that the other group holds, only now the attacker
> always wins. So which group it is that controls 2/3 will change, but
> only back and forth between the two groups still present.
>
> I'm not sure how you get a group to control all three locations -- maybe
> just make sure the attacker fails?

Actually once its 1/3x 2/3y, either the x group or the y group can
attack. If the 1/3 faction attacks it always wins (unless the players
intervene on the defense). If the 2/3 faction attacks it always loses,
unless the players intervene on the offense.

> But once that happens, not only does
> that group stay in control of all three mob areas, they also take over
> the Shar Vahl outpost; the guards and merchants run away and hide.
> That's when you have to kill the leader to reset the zone.
>
> What this usually meant for me was that if I went there to hunt grimlings
> for acrylia (with a character who could also get xp while doing it),
> some high level tradeskiller would turn up and make the zone be filled
> with owlbears so he could farm something or other. :)

I never manipulate the war while other people are hunting there.

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in news:7wfyxgtz17.fsf@ca.icynic.com:

> Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> writes:
>> Sounds like Hollowshade on Luclin. It was 3 way: Owlbears, Sonic
Wolves,
>> and Grimalkins (Think that's what they were called. The little
humanoid
>> guys. Looked like dirty midgets. >< ).
>
> Grimlings.
>
>> By killing the leader of whatever group was in charge, one of the
others
>> would take over, if memory serves. The group that had dominence would
be
>> the primary group to spawn until their leader was taken out.
>
> It's more complex than that, actually. And pretty neat to tweak
> around with, too. I *think* this is how it works:
>
> Each of the three groups starts out owning a different part of the
zone.
> Every once in a while one of them sends a bunch of special mobs to
attack
> another group, which spawns a set of special defending mobs. The
> defenders always win, unless players go in and tip the balance.
>
> Once players help an attack succeed, one group is wiped out of the
zone.
> Then the group that controls only 1/3 of the zone periodically attacks
> one of the two places that the other group holds, only now the attacker
> always wins. So which group it is that controls 2/3 will change, but
> only back and forth between the two groups still present.
>
> I'm not sure how you get a group to control all three locations --
maybe
> just make sure the attacker fails? But once that happens, not only
does
> that group stay in control of all three mob areas, they also take over
> the Shar Vahl outpost; the guards and merchants run away and hide.
> That's when you have to kill the leader to reset the zone.
>
> What this usually meant for me was that if I went there to hunt
grimlings
> for acrylia (with a character who could also get xp while doing it),
> some high level tradeskiller would turn up and make the zone be filled
> with owlbears so he could farm something or other. :)

You can trigger an attack by killing off the named boss of one of the
camps, then you help whichever side you want to win.