PC Gaming Headset opinions?

zuyah

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I am either going to get the Sennheiser PC 350s or the Logitech 930s. Which one should I get? Pros and cons of both?
If there is another headset better in the price range, then recommend it, but these two seem like the best.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Its worth considering getting headphones and a clip on mic (like Zalmans) as it opens up a lot more options.
Personally I use some studio headphones with a zalman's mic and I've yet to have any issues. Compared the 3 or 4 headsets I've broken in a similar timeframe.

A lot of a headset choice is personal preference. I mean you can read reviews all day long, get the best rated and not really like it. Audiophiles will be really picky as to the quality of the speakers and output. However, you will also be limited to your sound card or the software that is generating the sound. Everyone also has a different head and ears so they each fit differently. Some people like USB headsets, other like ones with 3.5mm jacks. I personally would never pay anything over $100 for a headset. I'd put that money toward more games. I'm using a Plantronics GameCom 377 headset I got off Amazon for $30 about 2 years ago and I love it. Granted the plastic cracked and I have black duct tape on it, but it sounds great through an X-Fi card. I see they have a new design that looks like it should correct that issue. (380/780)

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I've owned a few "high end" gaming headsets including the Sennheiser 350s, Sennheiser 360s, the Corsair Vengeance 1500 and 2000, the Razer Tiamats (among others) and I've returned them after a day or two for a refund.

I prefer a good pair of stereo headphones with a clip on/desk mic. Much better sound quality, much better mic quality for a lot less money. Don't go for the gimmicky stuff, its overpriced garbage.

i have the g930 and although i love em the battery life is poor. and unlike some other headsets where you can just put in a fresh set of rechargeable's you cant with them.
im at my pc about 12-15 hours a day so often have to recharge em while the pc is on. not cool. 10 hours may seem like as lot but if you work from home or play for long periods over the weekend the g930 may not be for you.
the stenhiesers are some of the better gaming headsets. there wired and give good positional audio. yeah they suck when it comes to music but there not designed for that. they are designed to give defined midrange where most game audio is set. personally i prefer the older 555's as they carry a little more bass. but the 350 aint that bad...
what i would suggest is you go to a store that will allow you to try a few pairs so you can get a better idea of the difference in quality...
just stay away from makes like turtle beach, skull candy and dre they really are just logo'd garbage... there so bad my old gembird headset gave better output from its 30mm drivers.
oh thats another thing. 40mm nimdim drivers are best for gaming. some headsets offer 50mm nimdims but i found them a little to bassy and prone to distortion. 40mm seem to be the perfect middle ground. and only get good quality nimdim magnet drivers. there are other kinds but they just aint as good.

zuyah

Honorable
May 19, 2012

The Sennheisers suck for music? I heard they were great for music besides the fact that they aren't bass cans.

depends what your used to listening to... you get used to anything after a few days. to me they were to bassy, if you listen to a lot of dub or garage your likely to like a bit more bass. so to people who listen to that are less likely to notice how bassy they are.
btw audio quality is very subjective. if you dont like my opinion you dont have to take it... i didnt like the stenhieser 558 because of there overly bassy sound. the 555 were better. the 350 i wasnt a fan of as they seemed muted like listening with a glove over your ear infront of the ear cup.. they may not have been 100% as they have went on to get good reviews but the set i listend to were less than impressive for music, for gaming i couldnt really fault em.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
These are the headphones I am using at the moment:

Sony MDR XB700

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001UE6PE0/ref=asc_df_B001UE6PE08740948?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B001UE6PE0&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=584243029582424865&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

these things are amazing (just read the reviews). Don't be fooled by the price, these things sound better then some £200-£300 headphones.

wolfsbane6

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I'll tell ya, I bought a headset with a boom/swivel mic for about $25 bucks or so called Turtle Beach Earforce Z1 and I think you cant beat em for the money! Great little head set with pretty good bass response and overall sound.