Moving away from desk

garethedwards

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Been thinking for a while of moving away from a desk to something more along the line of what we see with most console gamers. Nice flat screen on walls and a comfy sofa type chair.

I do not use my PC for anything else but gaming, I browse on ipad and work on my laptop. All my downloads are handled by my NAS and it also streams media to my PS3 in the lounge.

So having a massive desk taking all this space is starting not to make sense to me.

I was wondering if any one has ventured down this path already or what the views about this are.

skaz

Distinguished
I tried it a couple years ago and this is what I found.

I only liked it for casual gaming. Anything more and either my eyes would strain or I couldn't play as well as I did at a desk. Not all PC games have text that is large enough to read from far away on a HD tv. And FPS games like battlefield I felt my play style wasn't as good lounging on the couch.

The mouse/keyboard issue. I prefer wired mouse/keyboards so I had to run an extension USB cable to each device which was kind of fugly. Also finding something to comfortably place the keyboard and mouse on to use was a pain in the but. And overall still wasn't enough space to properly use my mouse while gaming.

In the end I went back to a desk set up to say the least.

garethedwards

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I can understand that being to far away would cause an issue.

Maybe something more along these lines then?

600x448px-LL-6518a528_IMG_0496.jpeg

venjhammet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Before I was into console like PS1 and PS2 until I got into Pc because of COD4. I love first person shooter and Online playing. When PS3 came I tried playing it but somehow my hands got accustom to mouse and keypad. Eversince then my PS3 has been left in the corner. Though I seldom play it but I prefer sitting on my desk with my PC

hahaha +1 :lol:

my only suggestion is if you do have a large uniform color wall to consider a projector. They are about as expensive as large TVs but in my opinion they get a much better image quality of a PC screen than an HDTV does.

The only down side is you have to yell at everybody who tries to walk in front of it.

Balrogue

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Stay at the desk, I tried the transition a couple of years bag and it just didn't feel right, couches are for watching movie's and desks are for gaming. Also, that's a sweet set up Garethedwards I am mega jealous.