o/s upgrade from me to xp profesional on presario 5000

hi all,

has anyone ever upgraded a presario 5000 from me to xp professional that
can give me some pointer to make it go smoothly. from what i have read
so far, it appears to not go very smoothly at all.

the system has the following equipment installed.

- amd athlon 1.1 ghz processor
- compaq dvd-rom dv-5700b
- philips cdd4801 cd-r/rw
- accton en1207d/en2242 series ndis 5.0 driver (for the net work card)
- a 60 gig hard drive with 2 partitions (one has a name of SYSTEM_SAV -
what is this?).
- via vt8363 (a) apollo kt133 (a) motherboard chip set
- via ac'97 audio controller

any help would be greatly appreciated.

bob brozewicz.

hh

The answer to your question may be found in the Compaq FAQ, reposted to
this newsgroup every Saturday.
HH

"bob brozewicz" <brozewicz.rf@verizon.net> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> has anyone ever upgraded a presario 5000 from me to xp professional that
> can give me some pointer to make it go smoothly. from what i have read so
> far, it appears to not go very smoothly at all.
>
> the system has the following equipment installed.
>
> - amd athlon 1.1 ghz processor
> - compaq dvd-rom dv-5700b
> - philips cdd4801 cd-r/rw
> - accton en1207d/en2242 series ndis 5.0 driver (for the net work card)
> - a 60 gig hard drive with 2 partitions (one has a name of SYSTEM_SAV -
> what is this?).
> - via vt8363 (a) apollo kt133 (a) motherboard chip set
> - via ac'97 audio controller
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> bob brozewicz.

I've run Windows XP on my Presario 5006CA ever since I got it with NO
problems at all, and it is an Athlon 1.1GHz. Just make sure you have 256MB
or more of RAM.

Bill

"bob brozewicz" <brozewicz.rf@verizon.net> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> has anyone ever upgraded a presario 5000 from me to xp professional that
> can give me some pointer to make it go smoothly. from what i have read so
> far, it appears to not go very smoothly at all.
>
> the system has the following equipment installed.
>
> - amd athlon 1.1 ghz processor
> - compaq dvd-rom dv-5700b
> - philips cdd4801 cd-r/rw
> - accton en1207d/en2242 series ndis 5.0 driver (for the net work card)
> - a 60 gig hard drive with 2 partitions (one has a name of SYSTEM_SAV -
> what is this?).
> - via vt8363 (a) apollo kt133 (a) motherboard chip set
> - via ac'97 audio controller
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> bob brozewicz.

hh

Preferrably more. XP begins to smooth out when you get to 512MB. I woudn't
recommend less.
HH

HH wrote:
> The answer to your question may be found in the Compaq FAQ, reposted to
> this newsgroup every Saturday.
> HH

i just found this yesterday and will be reviewing it tonight.
thank you.

Happy Canuck wrote:
> I've run Windows XP on my Presario 5006CA ever since I got it with NO
> problems at all, and it is an Athlon 1.1GHz. Just make sure you have 256MB
> or more of RAM.
>
> Bill

once i upgrade my kids computer for xmas, it will have 768 meg of ram,
an OK video card a not so bad set of speaker.

im more worried about laying down xp to bring it all together.

im going to run the xp adviser before i try putting xp on the system
blindly.

thanks for the feed back.

bob brozewicz.

HH wrote:
> Preferrably more. XP begins to smooth out when you get to 512MB. I woudn't
> recommend less.
> HH

see my other reply, the system will have 768 meg of ram.

one of the things that really makes me nervous is the sound and cd/dvd
issue i have see other people have.

ill run the xp adviser and see what it says on xmas day when my kids
bring their system down to my house.

thanks very much for the advise.

bob brozewicz.

dos

Compaq 5004 US
1.1 ATHLON
768MB RAM
XP PRO for two years now, no issues, xp advisor may say no, dont worry about
it.