CPU Temp Increases On Reboot

MJedi

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
I just noticed that whenever I reboot, the CPU temp jumps up by 8-9C, then goes back down to 41C a few seconds after WinXP is done loading. I use MBM 5 to monitor the temp, and as far as I know, it has no idle cooling feature. I'm running an Athlon XP 1700+ (retail) using the HS and fan that comes with it. I have a case fan behind the CPU blowing out and the PS fan on above it, and a fan blowing into the case in front. Just wondering if this is normal, and if this will have any negative effect on the CPU in the long run. Thanks.

svol

Champion
Think this is because loading the OS will stress the CPU. And after it's done he can 'rest' a little so the temp drops. I will try it out with my own PC sometime.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

MJedi

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Please do check.

What I mean is the temperature jumps up even before loading the OS. (I checked the readings in the BIOS.) Maybe unloading the OS also increases CPU activity?

Thanks for the reply.

svol

Champion
Maybe that increase in temp right after your system booted is because of the cold heatsink getting warmer, and on some point it stops getting warmer. This is because the total heat input is the same as the total heat outpu of the heatsink.
I've checked my temps: before starting the OS 31 C and after 37 C.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
im sure some os's (win2k springs to mind) utilize the idle loop or whatever you call it so in that case it would run cooler, however, I notice that after a reboot (ok, I run vcool), and go into bios, the temp does rise a few degrees- but no where near as much as when I run toast :)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In some motherboard, the the heatsink's fan will stop for a short while in the process of reboot, thus increase cpu temperature.
Some OS will issue a HALT instruction to cpu when ever idle, and bring down cpu temp.
In BIOS the cpu will run at full speed(idle), so cpu temp will higher compare to idle after OS load.
For HALT and IDLE, the above is all I known, anyone can explain futher please?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I shouldnt have thought the fan stopping for a second would be enough to increase the temp by a few degrees, I'll do some experimenting later today or tomorrow (watercooled so no fan involved), I'll reboot from an idle pc, then from underload and post back probly saturday

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
reboot stress your cpu

you load many things, the cpu is active high so it's temp increase

after your OS is loaded your system is idle & temp decrease

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.