xp pro printer drivers fail to install

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I've finished building a new computer for my folks. I
obtained some OEM NT 4.0 disks from work, so to cut down
cost a bit, I got an upgrade version of XP Pro, then
installed NT 4.0 and upgraded it. Everything is working
fine except when it comes to installing the printer.

I've tried with an HP DeskJet 610c and a Canon BJC 2000.
Whenever I connect the printer, it is automatically
detected (and the balloon pops up: "Detected HP Deskjet
610c" or whatever) then it searches for the driver, which
supposedly came with XP. I get a message saying an .INF
file was found to install the printer. When I click next,
I get a message saying that the driver failed to install
because the file couldn't be found. This also happens
with the BJC 2000, except it doesn't give me the message
about the .INF file.

I also tried manual installation, and got nowhere with
that. Is there a reason that the drivers aren't being
found even though it's detecting that .INF file?

Thanks,
John

You need to install the software BEFORE connecting the printer. If the
HP610 (which is an ancient printer) does not have drivers at the HP website,
use the Install Printer Wizard.
www.coribright.com