skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
what's the conventional wisdom on which way fans at the bottom part of the rear of the case should blow? I thought all inflowing air was supposed to come from the front and all rear fans should exhaust out. But I've seen a lot of diagrams which have the bottom rear fans blowing in, too. This makes sense in that the cooler intake air at the bottom is expelled at the top. But I wonder if this setup would interfere with overall airflow.

thx

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
its very dependent on case layout, as a general rule, fans at the bottom front blow in, and top read exhaust, thus causing the cool air to flow over components, best bet is to experiment!, at a guess I would say a fan at the rear bottom should blow in, if it blew out, then air from the front bottom intake would sort of just flow over the bottom part of the case and straight out, i.e. not reaching all the components.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
The based on the general properties of convection, the circulation of cold and hot fluids because of density changes, is that you should have fans on the bottom of the case draw air into the case and fans at the to force air out. (Hot air rises and thus putting the fans at the top of the case will allow the colder air coming in the case to flow up through the components, taking heat as it passes over them, and up out of the case through the exaust fans in the top.)

So like CALV said. Experiment with you case to see which drops the overall temperature the most. But the simple rules are cold from bottom and hot out top.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

G

I've seen the slot exhaust fans, but they blow out. Does anyone make a slot intake fan? Or can one of these exhaust fans be opened and the fan turned? The ones I saw looked like a screwless plastic housing.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
The slot fans are having problems as they tend to burn out quickly. You could reverse the flow by reversing the two wires.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I opened one of the slot fans and the wires are soldered onto the rotor thingy. I assume that if you switch the wires, you will not cause any electrical problems?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I did it the other way and switched the plug end. It reversed but did not work well.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

I was thinking I'd literally flip the fan, the blades are designed to blow one way more efficiently. I've also seen two different types of the slot blowers, one with normal blade type fan and one with a circular fan kind of like the fans used in air conditioners.

Basically I want a fan to intake cool air directly onto my video card. I guess I will just buy one and see if I can get it to work. The one I was looking at was the Enermax/Whispersys ws-8slfs (you can look at it on newegg or the enermax website). If nothing else I can take the fan out of the slot blower and basically use it as a duct.

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
if you switch at the plug end, won't that cause a short?

Also, I don't know why everyone makes those slot coolers to blow out. If they blew in, they would bring in cool air from the outside and work much better with the case.