Printing to file when no printer associated with computer

My laptop has no printer, but I'd like to be able to print to a file
from time to time. How do I do this? I mean from Internet Explorer.
It always asks me whether I'd like to add a printer. Thanks!

Matt
4 answers Last reply
More about printing file printer computer

    Matt,

    > My laptop has no printer, but I'd like to be able to print to a file
    > from time to time. How do I do this? I mean from Internet Explorer.

    If you want to just have a local copy of a web page you couls use "Save as"
    instead of printing it.
    If you really want to print to a file, then you have to install a printer
    driver and connect it to the "FILE:" port. The file you'll obtain will be
    formatted with all the control codes needed for the printer you chose (i.e.
    you cannot print it to any printer at a later time)

    Kind regards
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    "Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> wrote ...

    > If you want to just have a local copy of a web page you couls use "Save as"
    > instead of printing it.

    I think I did that and got a directory with a bunch of files in it.
    Each file was one of the graphics on the web page.

    > If you really want to print to a file, then you have to install a printer
    > driver and connect it to the "FILE:" port. The file you'll obtain will be
    > formatted with all the control codes needed for the printer you chose (i.e.
    > you cannot print it to any printer at a later time)

    Then why does the "print" window have a check-box entitled "Print to
    File"?

    Matt

    When you save the web page, select Save as and Web archive. Doing it
    that way, there is just one file. A directory is usually created holding
    all the files separately that the web page uses when you save as a web
    page.

    To use print to file you need to have a target printer installed to
    process the data stream into a file formatted for a particular printer.
    The printer file will look mighty strange if opened in a word processor.
    To use it, the file is "copied", not "printed" to a printer port. The
    printer then processes it exactly as if it were being sent from the
    application, through the printer driver, through the port device driver,
    to the printer. The printer used has to be, or be compatible with, the
    one whose printer driver is used to create the file.

    It would be logical to have the print to file option 'greyed out' in
    menus unless a printer driver were installed but MS does not always do
    what I think is logical either. ;-) Davide's suggestion is worth
    consideration if you always want to use that printer driver to print to
    a file. That way you simply specify the printer and all output always
    goes to a file.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    :

    "Thomas Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote

    > When you save the web page, select Save as and Web archive. Doing it
    > that way, there is just one file. A directory is usually created holding
    > all the files separately that the web page uses when you save as a web
    > page.

    I select "save as" and it pops up a window saying, "This page may not
    save correctly, continue anyway?" Then it just brings up a browse
    window so I can choose which directory to save it to.

    We're talking Internet Explorer, right?

    Matt

Internet Explorer Computers Printers Windows XP